The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE and GCSEs

I had my conexions interview today, and she said that I should go to LSE to do Geography. However, my GCSE grades aren't as good as the stereotype lse guy/girl (10 A*s etc) , Im predicted about 5A* tops 1 A and about 3 Bs. Do you think my conexions adviser is speaking BS, and should apply to UCL/KCL instead?

tyvm
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my experience they're GCSE Nazis
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by 2ndClass
In my experience they're GCSE Nazis

Ok, thanks. What is your experience? Also, it doesn't say anything in their entry requirements, about gcses?
If she said that, she must think you're good enough. She probably has more info than us.
Original post by chinaberry
If she said that, she must think you're good enough. She probably has more info than us.

Yes, but lots of people on here say they got rejected etc etc, like the above guy.
Reply 5
Well the person that tutors me applied 3 years ago and got an offer with a few As and a few Bs, not sure about this year though. Haven't got any personal experience either but I know that he did :smile:

He only had 1 A*...
Original post by ms93
Well the person that tutors me applied 3 years ago and got an offer with a few As and a few Bs, not sure about this year though. Haven't got any personal experience either but I know that he did :smile:

He only had 1 A*...

Cool! :smile:
Reply 7
i think 5A* is pretty good for LSE.
I know they are GCSE nazi's, but they not that f'd up.
Having 5A* is great. I think aslong as your as's go well then you should be fine.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my friend achieved 0 A* for GCSEs, mainly As and Bs maybe the odd C. She is desperate to go the LSE, does she have a chance? :-/
Original post by Alpha5
i think 5A* is pretty good for LSE.
I know they are GCSE nazi's, but they not that f'd up.
Having 5A* is great. I think aslong as your as's go well then you should be fine.

Ok thanks, I'll see what I get in August, but 5 is the absolute best, realistically 4.5A*s/4 and 1.5 As who knows....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AspiringGenius
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my friend achieved 0 A* for GCSEs, mainly As and Bs maybe the odd C. She is desperate to go the LSE, does she have a chance? :-/

Hello, its ok lol... Im not really the person to be answering this...
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Ok thanks, I'll see what I get in August, but 5 is the absolute best, realistically 4.5A*s/4 and 1.5 As who knows....

I thought the best I'd get was 4 and I got 8, your in Y11, so just push as hard as you can, do retakes if possible, there's lots of help on TSR :smile:

Hello, its ok lol... Im not really the person to be answering this...

Well, I was hoping those who gave you advice would be able to help me :smile:
Reply 12

Yeah even 4 is good enough. But just try your hardest. Good luck. Trust me from the open day the LSE head of admissions said that GCSE's are as important as AS-levels.

depends what course, though i'd said her/his chances are low. But good as-levels preferably all a's and A2 predictions coupled with a cracking personal statement will put you in with a chance, even if its a small one. sorry to be harsh.
Original post by Alpha5
Yeah even 4 is good enough. But just try your hardest. Good luck. Trust me from the open day the LSE head of admissions said that GCSE's are as important as AS-levels.

depends what course, though i'd said her/his chances are low. But good as-levels preferably all a's and A2 predictions coupled with a cracking personal statement will put you in with a chance, even if its a small one. sorry to be harsh.

Economics. So pretty much the main course in LSE (come on, it's in the name...).

She's doing Maths, FM, Economics and English Language. If she gets all As here will it help her, or are they ruthless with GCSEs. If it's any help, she moved tot he UK just before GCSEs, took her maths in the space of a year and a bit. Erm... Engkish isn't her first language so English language is brave. What do you think. Because were both sort of buddies, I'm aiming for medicine at Cambridge and she's aiming for economics at LSE and we were going to support each other all the way.
Economics. So pretty much the main course in LSE (come on, it's in the name...).

She's doing Maths, FM, Economics and English Language. If she gets all As here will it help her, or are they ruthless with GCSEs. If it's any help, she moved tot he UK just before GCSEs, took her maths in the space of a year and a bit. Erm... Engkish isn't her first language so English language is brave. What do you think. Because were both sort of buddies, I'm aiming for medicine at Cambridge and she's aiming for economics at LSE and we were going to support each other all the way.

You have absolutely no chance of getting into Econ without at least 6/7A*'s at GCSE and A*'s at A-level.. It might sound harsh but I'm being honest.
Original post by AppleBobbing
You have absolutely no chance of getting into Econ without at least 6/7A*'s at GCSE and A*'s at A-level.. It might sound harsh but I'm being honest.

On what basis is this? I'm sure people from sh*t schools will do substantially worse and still be considered.
Original post by AppleBobbing

Does that apply to Geog? Please answer honestly, because I dont want to waste an option when I could apply to UCL instead...
Hi,

First, I'd say that you u are very likely to do better at GCSE than you think you will, especially now you have 9ish months.

Secondly, I would say 4-5A*s for Geography is definitely enough for LSE, providing you have AAA at AS and a really good PS. GCSE nazi thing is only really applicable for econ mostly.
I was predicted 9 A*s and only got 1 A* 7 As and a C. Predictions mean squat.
Reply 19
I missed my offer and LSE let me in. Had a few A* at GCSE, less than 5!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending