The Student Room Group

Non-Mathematic grades could be my doom?

Hey

I'm a REALLY intellectual student at mathematics and I'm predicted atleast an A* in normal mathematics and a strong A or low A* in further mathematics.

But my big problem is, I'm running at a grade D in chemistry... Which puts me on a A*/A/D worst case scenario vs an A*/A*/C best case scenario.

Liverpool uni are asking for an ABB to get into their Mathematics courses, so I've picked up General studies this year, since they accept that as a full A-Level, and my hope is to get a B in that.

But if I get my worst case scenario and best case scenario grades, what are my chances of making uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got AAB with B in Mathematics (the A's were in Textiles and Psychology) and I got into UEA even though they wanted an A in maths - and obviously my other a levels weren't scientific at all. Don't worry - just try your best.

I got a 2.1 in BSc Maths btw.
Reply 2
If they do interviews really sell yourself in that and try and discuss chemistry there.
Reply 3
I feel like my personal statement is pretty sound after going through it 9001 times with teachers, headteachers, sixth form tutors and everyone else. I'm just giving it a quick final lookover before I post it on the Personal Statement forums here (Since it'll probably end up being a bloodbath)

Interview wise, i'm pretty confident, I've had a few practice runs with teachers and family.

I've completely taken General studies out of context here by the way, since that's a complete wild card for me, so anything could happen come exam time.
Reply 4
Original post by kandy666
I got AAB with B in Mathematics (the A's were in Textiles and Psychology) and I got into UEA even though they wanted an A in maths - and obviously my other a levels weren't scientific at all. Don't worry - just try your best.

I got a 2.1 in BSc Maths btw.

I'm hoping to apply for the MMATH degree (4 Years which gives me the masters too) because of how the funding will work. I'm going to push my hardest to get a first at degree level, but a 2.1 would be sufficient to move into PhD level (Yes, I LOVE maths)
Reply 5
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
Liverpool uni are asking for an ABB to get into their Mathematics courses, so I've picked up General studies this year, since they accept that as a full A-Level, and my hope is to get a B in that.

This should really say something about the university . . .
Reply 6
Original post by Einheri
This should really say something about the university . . .

In general, If I can't get into a really high univeristy like Imperial/Warwick/Cambridge/Oxford, etc, I would much rather stay at home and have a considerably easier time in life, whilst still aquiring a degree which means mostly the same as getting it in other universities.

I'm smart enough at maths, that I should be in somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge... But I'm not smart enough at other subjects, and sadly, there isn't 4-5 different Mathematic A-levels offered at my sixth form college, so I can't use those as my saving grace. (Referring to A-level Mechanics, Statistics)
Reply 7
I'm hoping to apply for the MMATH degree (4 Years which gives me the masters too) because of how the funding will work. I'm going to push my hardest to get a first at degree level, but a 2.1 would be sufficient to move into PhD level (Yes, I LOVE maths)

Sweet, I started MSc Maths today (could self fund as I lived at home for uni).

When I was on BSc I got pretty good grades (1st in first year, 2.1 in second year) and was allowed to transfer onto MMath, but I went back onto the BSc cos I didn't think I'd get a 2.1 (and then I did, heh).
Reply 8
Original post by kandy666
Sweet, I started MSc Maths today (could self fund as I lived at home for uni).

When I was on BSc I got pretty good grades (1st in first year, 2.1 in second year) and was allowed to transfer onto MMath, but I went back onto the BSc cos I didn't think I'd get a 2.1 (and then I did, heh).

Awesome! Once I join the university train, I'll be going straight through to a PhD I hope... I'm smart enough at maths that I can accomplish that, but my poor Chemistry grade is what is concerning me about starting my course in the first place.

How's the course in general anyway? Is there much written stuff to be done, or is the majority of it keeping it to algebra etc?

I also heard that after the first year, you can kind of pick what kind of modules you want to do, which will end up with me doing 100% pure, with some mechanics if there's some free spots available. (I hate decision because I don't believe it's true maths, and statistics is just excessively boring)

Is that true from your experience?
Reply 9
I'm sorry but it annoys me that you keep saying you're 'smart enough at maths' for Oxbridge when you're evidently good but not brillian by any means. Most of the people I know doing maths at Oxford got high A* in both maths and further maths dropping very few UMS marks in the process. If you're that good at maths just take physics A level, it's far closer to mathematics than chemistry is.
You're so arrogant it's unbelievable. Apparently, you're smart enough to do Maths at Cambridge but you blame the entry requirements on you not actually being able to go there. I take it you're not even doing AEA/STEP either, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

Also, if you really are applying for a PhD, they will care which uni you graduated from.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Clearly, the last two posters just didn't listen at all...

merlin1991: An A* is an A*, I'm very comfortably going to reach that, since I achieved almost max marks in the AS tests, and I feel equally as confident running S2 and M2 at the moment. Further Maths was dragged down a bit by Decision, I feel I can get the A* overall, but it comes down to how I perform this year.

Electriic_ink: Lashing out at me calling me arrogant because I'm blatantly really smart at maths, but horrible at Chemistry is a really good way to act on these forums right? You clearly didn't read a word of what I said. Thanks for demonstrating why you have so many warning points.

I'm looking to see whether an A*A*C-A*AD is equal to or better than an AAB/ABB. Oxbridge is probably already out of the window, even if I pull off a miracle in Chem, since A*A*A is probably not enough to pass the people going in with 4/5 A-levels with equally as good grades.
Electriic_ink: Lashing out at me calling me arrogant because I'm blatantly really smart at maths, but horrible at Chemistry is a really good way to act on these forums right? You clearly didn't read a word of what I said. Thanks for demonstrating why you have so many warning points.

You came across as arrogant to me because you say things like:

"I'm blatantly really smart at maths"
"I'm smart enough at maths that I can accomplish [getting accepted onto a PhD course]"
"I don't believe [decision maths] is true maths"
"statistics is just excessively boring"
"I'm smart enough at maths, that I should be in somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge"

And, of course, your opening line "I'm a REALLY intellectual student at mathematics".

===============================================

Anyway, if you want to know if Liverpool will accept A*AD in place of AAB, email them.
Reply 13
Original post by electriic_ink
You came across as arrogant to me because you say things like:

"I'm blatantly really smart at maths"
"I'm smart enough at maths that I can accomplish [getting accepted onto a PhD course]"
"I don't believe [decision maths] is true maths"
"statistics is just excessively boring"
"I'm smart enough at maths, that I should be in somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge"

And, of course, your opening line "I'm a REALLY intellectual student at mathematics".

===============================================

Anyway, if you want to know if Liverpool will accept A*AD in place of AAB, email them.

I'ld be lying otherwise. I'm trying to find an accurate answer, perhaps I should come on and say I'm dumb at maths next time, just so it makes you happy.

I will E-mail them, but I'm finished talking with you.
I'ld be lying otherwise. I'm trying to find an accurate answer, perhaps I should come on and say I'm dumb at maths next time, just so it makes you happy.

You don't need to go that far - just mention your grades and be done with it. There's no need for you to add commentary - it sends out the wrong impression.
Reply 15
Original post by electriic_ink
You don't need to go that far - just mention your grades and be done with it. There's no need for you to add commentary - it sends out the wrong impression.

Sending out the wrong impression is when I'm forced to argue back against comments like that.
Have you considered Additional Further Mathematics? You will most likely have to self teach it, but you look capable of doing it.

It consists of an extra 6 modules.

Maths = 6 modules
Further Maths = 12 modules
Additional Further Maths = 18 modules (almost all of them; depending on the exam board).
Reply 17
Original post by Sagacious
Have you considered Additional Further Mathematics? You will most likely have to self teach it, but you look capable of doing it.

It consists of an extra 6 modules.

Maths = 6 modules
Further Maths = 12 modules
Additional Further Maths = 18 modules (almost all of them; depending on the exam board).

I heard a few rumours about that, but I never believed it was true. So, if I did AFM (Just gonna call it that from now on). Is there any modules in particular I need to sit, or is it just a case of nailing 6 extra modules in general?

So could I just do: M3, M4, M5, S3, S4, S5 (If both of the '5' modules exist, not sure though)?
I'm sure Chemistry isn't that hard.
Reply 19
Original post by Carl Sagan
I'm sure Chemistry isn't that hard.

I think everyone has a brickwall for every subject... Like I brickwalled history as low as GCSE... I feel the same has happened for Chem, I kind of understand what's happening, but I'm just having such a hard time trying to manipulate all of the different reactions and such

Not my kind of subject anymore :/

Quick Reply

Latest