The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

The Tree of Life - WTF did I just watch. At some times I felt like I was watching something incredibly good, but at other points I just didn't know what to think. Who else has seen it?
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
The Tree of Life - WTF did I just watch. At some times I felt like I was watching something incredibly good, but at other points I just didn't know what to think. Who else has seen it?

The finest film of the year thus far, and probably the finest film I've seen of this millennium (with the possible exception of Wong's sublime In the Mood for Love). Watching it, both times, was a religious experience, even for a hardened atheist like me.
Reply 4382
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon

I have. I thought it was incredibly beautiful, and would be surprised if it didn't pick up at least Oscar nominations for some of its production value (particularly cinematography). I didn't at all agree with the widespread notion that it was boring, but I did feel confused right at the end; perhaps I'm simply too stupid to understand what Malick was trying to say, but while I loved watching the film, I feel I didn't get any kind of central message. Or maybe that's what Malick intended. :dontknow:

EDIT: Also, what on earth? :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4383
Original post by Abiraleft

EDIT: Also, what on earth? :lolwut:

:lolwut: Nearly as weird as the fact they're making this film.
Reply 4384
Anyone seen Crazy stupid love? Being bullied into going, is it really chick flickish?
Original post by Aj12
Anyone seen Crazy stupid love? Being bullied into going, is it really chick flickish?
I wouldn't really describe it as being a chick flick, it's Steve Carell after all... I would simply describe it as a romantic tale featuring an able cast experiencing the crazy and stupid journey that is true love.

As much as I love Steve Carell, I had a difficult time relating to this particular character. He's played the "loser in love" character before, and I thought that because of this it would be another great performance from him, but in my opinion there wasn't much room for him to demonstrate his ingenious humour that can be found in so many of his films. Maybe I was expecting a bit too much from him? I've seen many of his films and been a fan of his for a long time, so that was probably the reason why I didn't enjoy him as much as I thought I would. That said however, I thought he embodied the character very well, and after a slow and laboured start, it grew into a very enjoyable romantic comedy indeed.

I would definitely recommend you seeing it, especially if you're a fan of Steve Carell, just try not to be put off by the slow beginning and the lack of enjoyable humour.
I still haven't seen Tinker Tailor yet, is it any good?
Off to see Jurassic Park at the cinema tonight after a minor delay...trying to avoid spoilers.

Was planning on seeing Apollo 18 later in the week but not in cinemas anymore :frown:
Reply 4388
Original post by ManBeast
Off to see Jurassic Park at the cinema tonight after a minor delay...trying to avoid spoilers.

Was planning on seeing Apollo 18 later in the week but not in cinemas anymore :frown:

You haven't seen Jurrasic Park? :eek:

Reply 4389
Original post by PoGo HoPz
I still haven't seen Tinker Tailor yet, is it any good?

Me neither, was looking forward to it but I keep reading/hearing stuff like this:
Original post by Harry S Truman
Watched Tinker Tailor Solider Spy today. I thought it was an absolute mess, and failed to tell its story at all. Not a bad thing in itself, but it is when it brings very little else to compensate.

Not sure whether to go see any more.
Original post by Mono
Me neither, was looking forward to it but I keep reading/hearing stuff like this:

Not sure whether to go see any more.
Well I thought it looked quite promising actually, and it seems to have gone down very well on RT as well. It still intrigues me, so I'll definitely be watching it, but I suppose it's not going to be to everyone's liking.
Reply 4391
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Well I thought it looked quite promising actually, and it seems to have gone down very well on RT as well. It still intrigues me, so I'll definitely be watching it, but I suppose it's not going to be to everyone's liking.

Yeah I'll still watch it though I was hoping it would be of personal film-of-the-year quality
New Empire magazine has a big old feature on Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and the pictures of it look insane. I can't quite believe a studio has given Fincher millions of dollars to do this.
Reply 4393
Original post by Phalanges
New Empire magazine has a big old feature on Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and the pictures of it look insane. I can't quite believe a studio has given Fincher millions of dollars to do this.

But, will it be as good as the original? :tongue:

Original post by Mono
But, will it be as good as the original? :tongue:

Of course it will, it's got David Fincher and Daniel Craig. :p: But I'm sure there's going to be a backlash about "terrible Hollywood ripping off everyone else's ideas" regardless, despite the fact that a lot of the people complaining will be the same ones that rarely watch subtitled films, but just want to crap on something.
Reply 4395
Of course it will, it's got David Fincher and Daniel Craig. :p: But I'm sure there's going to be a backlash about "terrible Hollywood ripping off everyone else's ideas" regardless, despite the fact that a lot of the people complaining will be the same ones that rarely watch subtitled films, but just want to crap on something.

Yeah and I admit they did a good job of Let The Right One In :smile: maybe Swedish films work in Hollywood? (also The Girl Who Played With Fire was a total let down, hell I'm looking forward to a remake)

Original post by Mono
Yeah and I admit they did a good job of Let The Right One In :smile: maybe Swedish films work in Hollywood? (also The Girl Who Played With Fire was a total let down, hell I'm looking forward to a remake)

Let Me In was pretty much a replica of the original though, whereas Fincher keeps saying how different his imagining of the book is going to turn out, which I guess could end up upsetting fans of the original. I have to confess, as soon as I heard Fincher was going to be doing a version my interest in seeing the original or reading the books went right down - I want to go into the film without any real knowledge of the story and discover it fresh, rather than getting hung up on the details he's changed like I'm sure I would.
Reply 4397
Let Me In was pretty much a replica of the original though, whereas Fincher keeps saying how different his imagining of the book is going to turn out, which I guess could end up upsetting fans of the original. I have to confess, as soon as I heard Fincher was going to be doing a version my interest in seeing the original or reading the books went right down - I want to go into the film without any real knowledge of the story and discover it fresh, rather than getting hung up on the details he's changed like I'm sure I would.

If you can walk into the cinema without having heard the plot I personally salute you:top2:

Watching the trailer in the cinema was really an unexpected delight. This film had really fallen off my radar, but now its my most anticipated release of the rest of the year, right next to Polanski's Carnage.

Original post by Mono
If you can walk into the cinema without having heard the plot I personally salute you:top2:

I'm just waiting for the day some bastard spoils the plot on TSR and I have to deal with it as a moderator, tbh. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest