The Student Room Group

Please help me prove this trig identity?

I have to prove that:

(tan(A+B) - tanA) / (1+tan(A+B)tanA) is equal to tanB

I've tried subbing in tan(A+B) is equal to (tanA+tanB) / (1-tanAtanB) but I just end up with huge fractions that don't seem like there gonna cancel down.

Can someone please help me?

Original post by tinto99
I have to prove that:

(tan(A+B) - tanA) / (1+tan(A+B)tanA) is equal to tanB

I've tried subbing in tan(A+B) is equal to (tanA+tanB) / (1-tanAtanB) but I just end up with huge fractions that don't seem like there gonna cancel down.

Can someone please help me?

It is much, much easier than what you have tried.

think how you can directly re-write (tan(A+B) - tanA) / (1+tan(A+B)tanA) using an identity not too dis-similar from the tan(A+B) that you tried !!!!

the answer falls out in perhaps 2 lines at most !!
Reply 2
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
It is much, much easier than what you have tried.

think how you can directly re-write (tan(A+B) - tanA) / (1+tan(A+B)tanA) using an identity not too dis-similar from the tan(A+B) that you tried !!!!

the answer falls out in perhaps 2 lines at most !!

I don't know of any other tan identities, aside from sin/cos. Is that what you meant?
Reply 3
Original post by tinto99
I don't know of any other tan identities, aside from sin/cos. Is that what you meant?

It's not what he meant. It might help you to write C=A+BC=A+B, then then try and write BB in terms of AA and CC. Having written BB in terms of AA and CC, expand tanB\tan B and compare with what you have.
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
It's not what he meant. It might help you to write C=A+BC=A+B, then then try and write BB in terms of AA and CC. Having written BB in terms of AA and CC, expand tanB\tan B and compare with what you have.

i'm trying that at the moment with no luck :frown:

so if tan(A+B)=tanC, do I rewrite the whole thing as:

(tanC-tanA) / (1+tanCtanA)

even so, i still wouldn't know what to do from there. this is my homework after my second lesson of C3 trig, i managed to do all the others, this is the last one and i just can't do it :mad:
Reply 5
i tried subing the identity and it worked
open the attachment to see the working.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
You want to use

B = (A + B) - A
Reply 7
Original post by GANDULF
i tried subing the identity and it worked
open the attachment to see the working.

thank you, im also gonna try using the A B and C terms to see if I can do it that way as well :smile:
Original post by tinto99
thank you, im also gonna try using the A B and C terms to see if I can do it that way as well :smile:

Write down the identity for Tan (x-y)

Now let x = A+B and let y=A substitute this in to the identity for Tan(x-y)

Now have a look at the thing and see why it helps with your problem .....

Quick Reply

Latest