The Student Room Group

University is for studying, not drinking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ineluctable
Nope. Alcohol interferes with mental faculties and thus work

Alcohol interferes with mental faculties short term, people generally don't work between 7pm and 9am, people generally don't drink between 9am and 7pm.

There are exceptions, and that is a choice made by people - why are you even bothered? If someone chooses to get hung over and misses a lecture, honestly, why do you care? They made their choice and have to live with the devastating consequences of catching up later or accepting it may affect their grade.
Reply 81
Original post by History Lost in Physics
I agree with you on quite a bit of that, I think that university in the current sense should be for the academic elite, however do you really think you'd get into a top university if you spell that badly?!

yes i do think i can get into university, a respected one at that. thankyou for your kind remark, but the sarcastis and beautifully silly commment on spelling is an example of student politics type of pickery (again another one of my invented words lol) .....

not only do i think i can, but i was offered places at two of Britains eminent Universities..... :biggrin::biggrin:

honestly
Reply 82
Original post by honestly
hear hear.... well spoken (tapping on the table). I think your not the only person to feel the same way.

Thank Labour and their intiative to 'free education', diluting our education system and allowing people to go to university, with menial grades.

if you achieve a B is say Physics at GCSE, you will then be allowed to study for the advanced syllabus; A level. Ironically, how can one do the advanced level in such a subject when they cant achieve top grade for the GCSE. Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases.

Then such a student may recieve a B or C grade in Leve and may be rejected from a handful of universities who require, say, and A grade. But low and behold such a person will recieve an offer, somewhere else, one these joke 'Universities', where they will recieve loans and grants and will not work as hard as someone at the top end of the academic spectrum as they have no REAL interest in studying the subject. If they did then they would spend all if not most of their time in their faculties or departements doing research, joining societies and revising etc.

I beleive education should be free, but higher education should be for those who have worked hard and have achieved near to full marks, not everyone can for obvious circumstnaces, and they should be indidually.

anyway as this weakining system goes on, more and more 'students' are not actually students, they are a utter joke, thus the redifing of the life of a student. Once it was about the privellege, hard work, proud to be represent ones university and a reward for intelligence, but know anyone with any qualification may be admitted.

many students will end up doing the jobs they would have done, had they not gone to unvirsity using the learning on the job scheme, apprenticeships and other mechanisms within the economic structure.

Low and behold the government along with puffed up or inflated job roles are deemed 'gradtuate jobs' when in essence they are not, they have been labelled with such title to make the 'graduate' feel good.

the HE system is a comically, adeverse system that perpetuates the belief one has a right without applying ones self in the proper manner, which means not raving but associating through get to gethers, diabolic drinking sprees to perhaps tea parties or sharing a meal.

oh and btw we fund this, subsidise these 'student' bus fares and other major services, as they are more than content to disperese of their finanaces in many unpleasant ways.

im not a conservative or someone who wants education to become elitist, i want GENUINE value for the degrees and university and i want it to be tranparrent and widely accesible, not widely admittable (if thats a word).

please please please, dont come with the horrible comments, i am simply saying what is truth, if we got rid of all these 'mickey mouse' universites and courses, than all those millions, which is substantial, may be given to those universities with impressive results, who may then grow their universities to, two or three cities to expand in that way.

honestly

can't tell if serious...
Reply 83
good for your teacher, an example of my view .... individual basis when giving places to potential students.... toby young failed o levels did very bad at alelvels recieved a offer letter from oxford accidently, but got a first in PPE. but sometimes a person who has views, able to express ideas and other simillar things are important for when giving places

:smile:

hinestly

But how would it be determined who has potential, if entrance was just based on people gaining top grades? - As I believe you suggested in your previous post. Surely this is an unfair entry system, I personally feel that interviews should be used for all university and course applications.
Its not premarital sex if you dont plan on getting married! :biggrin:
yes i do think i can get into university, a respected one at that. thankyou for your kind remark, but the sarcastis and beautifully silly commment on spelling is an example of student politics type of pickery (again another one of my invented words lol) .....

not only do i think i can, but i was offered places at two of Britains eminent Universities..... :biggrin::biggrin:

honestly

Spelling isn't to do with politics, it's actually quite important - you won't get papers published if you can't spell.

Which one's precisely are 'eminent' ?
hahahahahha brilliant!
Original post by Rooster523
need a hand getting off your high horse pal?

:awesome:
Reply 88
Could not agree more, thats one of the reasons thats putting me off uni, as i wouldnt fit into the lifestyle :frown:
Original post by original_username
What does the bible say about posting attention seeking nonsense threads on the internet OP?

:rofl:
Original post by floorexd
i used to go out drinking every day in freshers. once a week in second year and occasionlly would turn up hungover when on my placement year much to the amusement of my colleagues.

third year was once a week night out... graduated with a 2:1 and have walked into a 40k+ job

JELLY MUCH??!?!?!?!?!?!

what degree gave you a 40k job starting ?
I don't drink, but as long as whoever is drinking isn't throwing up all over any new clothes I've bought (or my hair, if they're tall enough. :lol:) other people drinking is none of my business. Loads of students get good, even great degrees, and the vast majority of them drink. So there can't be that much correlation between drinking and getting a rubbish degree. What a generalisation.
Original post by mangoh
I don't get why people are going against what OP has said.

Seriously, how can someone actually go against OP's view.

University = Education

Don't waste it, many third world countries don't get given the opportunity.

I think that is the only logical post on the thread so far...

-------

I bet most of these people who get smashed out of their skull; attend an outside of the top 10 university, don't come out with a 1st and are doing a doss subject, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

I know there will be exceptions, eg "my friend at Cambridge is studying Maths and is on track for a 1st and he gets blitzed every day of the week". It will probably be BS but we will ride with it :smile:.

Edit; I was talking to a few of my Asian friends in Further Maths today and this subject popped up. They said that they wouldn't dare waste their time getting drunk and they don't understand why us Brits are so fascinated with it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
The whole point is you balance your social life (drinking etc) with your studying. Either in excess is not good for you as a person.

However, this argument reaks of Christian dogma and thus is reduced to nil in my eyes.
Reply 95
Original post by History Lost in Physics
Spelling isn't to do with politics, it's actually quite important - you won't get papers published if you can't spell.

Which one's precisely are 'eminent' ?

I am sure that your profundity of higher education institutions is well. therefore it does not take a genius to know which uni's are eminent.

I was making the point, that if anyone is picky to start commenting on spelling rather than the point being made, then that is like student politics, whereby people who cant challenge simply bring out the common mistakes.

i can spell, one, two or even one thousand comments with bad spelling does not mean i cant spell. it simply means i am writing on the TSR which means i can relax on such things.

yes i can have papers published if i cant spell, as the material will be subject to an independent review analyst who will highlight spelling mistakes, once the spelling has been rectified then of to the publishing department.

honestly
Reply 96
Original post by Jodie9570
But how would it be determined who has potential, if entrance was just based on people gaining top grades? - As I believe you suggested in your previous post. Surely this is an unfair entry system, I personally feel that interviews should be used for all university and course applications.

True i do believe grades are all too important. though i have mentioned the the narrative of toby young, for the reason that i believe interviews, refrences and other things should be added to the admissions procedure

honestly
Reply 97
Original post by Hanvyj
can't tell if serious...

Yes i am serious :biggrin: to the dismay of many people

honestly
Original post by Ineluctable
It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.

The double negative is blowing my mind, but nevertheless contradicts your whole argument. Congratulations, your position is absurd by your own admission.
Interesting take.
People have different views, meh. I plan to go to university, study for veterinary medicine, make some fantastic like minded friends, who I can go out with and have a good laugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending