The Student Room Group

Help with A-level

So since i have seen people saying that Computing is considered a soft A-level, then why in the top university in UK entry requirements it lists if you want to join the computer science/computing/computer engineering department you need to have an A*AA and the A* can either be maths, physics or COMPUTING?
Reply 1
Because it is a computing course...
Reply 2
Original post by POWW!
Because it is a computing course...

so if i am going to take a computer course then Computing is considered strong since they give the advantage of getting an A* there, and lower on the other two subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous user
so if i am going to take a computer course then Computing is considered strong since they give the advantage of getting an A* there, and lower on the other two subjects?

It's like at A level if you wanted to do maths you would have needed above a B at GCSE
Reply 4
is further maths a good way to go for computing apply for university or should i stick to normal course so i can probably achieve higher grades ??
i find it unfair its considered a soft course, i doubt a lot of people know how to network a computer, write an algorithm or fix hardware problems.
Reply 6
Original post by saberahmed786
i find it unfair its considered a soft course, i doubt a lot of people know how to network a computer, write an algorithm or fix hardware problems.

man its not for that reason that it's considered soft, it's becuase you do a coursework at home which means that you can get help but then again, many people don't get high grades because examiners are stricter, so i think it's unfair. It's a science you know..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Honestly, maths and f.maths are usually considered the most important for CompSci. After those two then you can consider computing but some top unis (e.g. Trinity College, Cambridge) consider it soft. Others think it's useful (e.g. Oxford and Imperial)

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Computing A-level is very soft compared to the university course. "Networking computers" or "Fixing hardware problems" is nothing to do with Computer Science.
That's like saying making an abacus is Maths.

That is not to say there is no value in Computing. A lot of the principles in the course are spot on, which is why some top universities consider it a decent A-level to have, most of the content is useless to a degree in it.
There is a reason why Maths is required, and Computing is "Meh I suppose if you have Maths already, and probably doing F.Maths or Physics, why not".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Computing is more respected than ICT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending