The Student Room Group

AS Choices! HELP!?

I have a choice to take Physics or Business Studies as my fourth A-Level, these are my only two options

Should I take Physics even if I don't enjoy it?

(Only reason I'm considering Physics is due to the fact its way more respected than Business Studies)

My Current AS's:
Maths
Economics
Psychology
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
What are your other A levels? If your other A levels are respected subjects then it doesn't matter what the fourth one is :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Starfruit

Original post by Starfruit
What are your other A levels? If your other A levels are respected subjects then it doesn't matter what the fourth one is :smile:

Maths, Economics and Psychology. I also plan to Self-Teach Further Maths (AS only though)
Reply 3
Physics would make your A-Levels look more respectable, but only if you did well in it. If you're good at Physics then I'd say take it - I didn't really enjoy it until I studied the AS and now I'm taking it at university. And economics and business aren't good subjects to study together either.
Depends what you'd enjoy more. Business and Economics will go well together but so will Physics and Maths. Have you looked at the specs for both subjects to see which is most interesting to you? My friend does Business and she doesn't find it too interesting although I don't know much about the Physics course, however I'm finding A Levels to generally be more interesting than their GCSE counterparts because they're more in depth.

Honestly though, it's down to you. You'll be studying these subjects thoroughly and you have to decide whether you'd be okay with studying a subject you dislike (assuming you dislike Physics from your post). Hope that was helpful :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DarkAndTwisty

Depends what you'd enjoy more. Business and Economics will go well together but so will Physics and Maths. Have you looked at the specs for both subjects to see which is most interesting to you? My friend does Business and she doesn't find it too interesting although I don't know much about the Physics course, however I'm finding A Levels to generally be more interesting than their GCSE counterparts because they're more in depth.

Honestly though, it's down to you. You'll be studying these subjects thoroughly and you have to decide whether you'd be okay with studying a subject you dislike (assuming you dislike Physics from your post). Hope that was helpful :smile:

Business isn't respected and Uni's say that taking Eco/Business is a very bad idea. Although by taking Physics, id be forcing myself to take a subject which I hate and may not do well in.
Original post by youngeN
Business isn't respected and Uni's say that taking Eco/Business is a very bad idea. Although by taking Physics, id be forcing myself to take a subject which I hate and may not do well in.

What do you want to do at university?
Reply 7

What do you want to do at university?

Economics/Comp Sci
Original post by youngeN
Economics/Comp Sci

I dont know much about those subjects so I can't give very specific advice. Assuming you're in year eleven, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. Look through the universities that offer those subjects and the AS levels they require to make a more informed choice. Remember, it's not always about 'respected' A levels. You have to have some element of interest. I nearly did maths purely because of how respected it is and I'm so glad I changed it to psychology.
Reply 9
Physics I would say, definitely. :smile:
Like people have said before, business is a 'soft' subject and it's not very good to do both Economics and Business together. However, if you don't enjoy physics then you're not going to do well at it. Take what you think you'll enjoy more and do well in!

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest