The Student Room Group

Non-Mathematic grades could be my doom?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI

I think everyone has a brickwall for every subject... Like I brickwalled history as low as GCSE... I feel the same has happened for Chem, I kind of understand what's happening, but I'm just having such a hard time trying to manipulate all of the different reactions and such

Not my kind of subject anymore :/

Could you take up physics instead? If you're good at maths you might be able to cram it in one year, though I don't know if this is a particularly good idea.
Reply 21
Can't you change to physics? If you've done M1&M2 it is pretty easy to get a high A in the January Mechanics exams....
Reply 22
have a maths problem anybody willing to help
Reply 23
Physics is a good idea, but it's a heck of alot of work in 7-8 months on potentially one of the hardest A-levels out there... I'm liking the AFM idea at the moment, because I already spoke to the school about funding extra exams/textbooks/etc if it came down to it, and they seemed happy to do so. I just never knew AFM existed at that point :redface:
Reply 24
Physics is a good idea, but it's a heck of alot of work in 7-8 months on potentially one of the hardest A-levels out there... I'm liking the AFM idea at the moment, because I already spoke to the school about funding extra exams/textbooks/etc if it came down to it, and they seemed happy to do so. I just never knew AFM existed at that point :redface:

If you're as good at maths as you say it shouldn't be a problem doing it intensively. Its mostly concept based. I wouldn't call physics A level 'one of the hardest a levels out there' - its been dumbed down a lot to make it accessible to people not doing maths at A level.

Edit - why didn't you pick physics to start with out of interest?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by mya369
If you're as good at maths as you say it shouldn't be a problem doing it intensively. Its mostly concept based. I wouldn't call physics A level 'one of the hardest a levels out there' - its been dumbed down a lot to make it accessible to people not doing maths at A level.

Edit - why didn't you pick physics to start with out of interest?

Originally, I had Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Spanish, as a result of this, Spanish took the physics spot in my timetabling for AS... After I dropped spanish at AS, that spot opened up, but it's not going to be that easy to find a high physics grade in little over half a year :s-smilie:

Saying it's the hardest A-Level is quite subjective, e.g I'd find History much harder than Further Maths, but a lot of people say the opposite. Also, if you're at A*A* standard in maths/further maths, I would expect you to be able to get an A in Physics even if you picked it up late, or at least a B. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by jameswhughes
Saying it's the hardest A-Level is quite subjective, e.g I'd find History much harder than Further Maths, but a lot of people say the opposite. Also, if you're at A*A* standard in maths/further maths, I would expect you to be able to get an A in Physics even if you picked it up late, or at least a B. :smile:

Unlike AFM, Physics can be taught in school, so maybe joining the AS lessons and the A2 lessons can be my saving grace.

I might still pick up AFM with it, since it gives me a valid excuse to finish off mechanics :biggrin:

Unlike AFM, Physics can be taught in school, so maybe joining the AS lessons and the A2 lessons can be my saving grace.

I might still pick up AFM with it, since it gives me a valid excuse to finish off mechanics :biggrin:

Good idea. :yy:
Reply 29
Originally, I had Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Spanish, as a result of this, Spanish took the physics spot in my timetabling for AS... After I dropped spanish at AS, that spot opened up, but it's not going to be that easy to find a high physics grade in little over half a year :s-smilie:

Again, if you're as good at maths as you say, I would expect you to be capable of at least a B/C if not an A in 7-8 months, which is better than what you're getting for chemistry. The only time consuming bits will be any practical work/coursework, but the rest should be a breeze. It is possible. I did physics AS and A2 in one year alongside my other A2s.
Reply 30
Original post by kirkio
Isn't there a load of maths in the Chemistry course?

I mean, even if you fail all the other parts, if you're as amazing at maths as you say, shouldn't you get better than a D?

Just sayin'.

I don't know what's going on... I do the mock papers and tend to run at high Cs to High Bs, and come exam time, I'm running a high D... I don't know if it's because the mini-essay questions are killing me or what, it's depressing really :/
Reply 31
Also just to clarify, there was 1 maths question on the summer chem paper, normally there's 3-4, ALOT of it was worded :/
I think everyone has a brickwall for every subject... Like I brickwalled history as low as GCSE... I feel the same has happened for Chem, I kind of understand what's happening, but I'm just having such a hard time trying to manipulate all of the different reactions and such

Not my kind of subject anymore :/

Well on earth pick chemistry then?
Surely physics would be so much better for you! Why don't you drop chemistry and pick up physics, at a-level it's very maths focused so it will definitely get your rocks off.
I heard a few rumours about that, but I never believed it was true. So, if I did AFM (Just gonna call it that from now on). Is there any modules in particular I need to sit, or is it just a case of nailing 6 extra modules in general?

So could I just do: M3, M4, M5, S3, S4, S5 (If both of the '5' modules exist, not sure though)?

For edexcel (not sure about other boards) you would do:

C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, S1, S2, S3, S4, D1, D2
Reply 34
Do physics , its easy for people who are good at maths, . MAybe do another year to make sure you get good grades to apply to the best universities.
Reply 35
hmmmm sticky situation.

High maths predictions, low chem predictions --->A*AD...

your best bet is to resit the Chemistry papers, and secondly do not give up. Don't say that chemistry is hard, or else it will be. Just tell yourself "Oh, so that carbon atom goes over there and it's an isomer" then build your chemical logic from there. Brain wash yourself in to thinking it is easy and things concept which you thought impossible last year will become childs play. You are a mathematician, you can achieve anything!

EDIT: you will get offers if you convince your chemistry teacher to predict you a B. Mathematics isn't too competitive at a lot of good unis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Harry.C
Do physics , its easy for people who are good at maths, . MAybe do another year to make sure you get good grades to apply to the best universities.

not all the time.

it's incredibly dull which is my weak spot, whereas maths is... *gets STEP question right* :sexface:

I know many mathmos who got B-D grades in their physics
I heard a few rumours about that, but I never believed it was true. So, if I did AFM (Just gonna call it that from now on). Is there any modules in particular I need to sit, or is it just a case of nailing 6 extra modules in general?

So could I just do: M3, M4, M5, S3, S4, S5 (If both of the '5' modules exist, not sure though)?

Maths = Core 1-4, Statistics 1, Mechanics 1.
Further Maths = Further Pure 1, Further Pure 2, Statistics 2, Mechanics 2, Decision 1, Decision 2
Additional Further Maths = Further Pure 3, Further Pure 4 (AQA only I think), Mechanics 3, Mechanics 4, Statistics 3, Statistics 4. You can replace FP4 with M5 if you wish.

It's very hard, but if you're getting A*'s in Maths and Further Maths then I think you should consider AFM for sure.

Hope I've helped.

PS: S5 doesn't exist as far as I'm aware, I could be wrong.

Also, take a look at this; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Mathematics_AEA <<< a 3 hour maths paper...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Sagacious
Maths = Core 1-4, Statistics 1, Mechanics 1.
Further Maths = Further Pure 1, Further Pure 2, Statistics 2, Mechanics 2, Decision 1, Decision 2
Additional Further Maths = Further Pure 3, Further Pure 4 (AQA only I think), Mechanics 3, Mechanics 4, Statistics 3, Statistics 4. You can replace FP4 with M5 if you wish.

It's very hard, but if you're getting A*'s in Maths and Further Maths then I think you should consider AFM for sure.

Hope I've helped.

PS: S5 doesn't exist as far as I'm aware, I could be wrong.

Also, take a look at this; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Mathematics_AEA <<< a 3 hour maths paper...

That AEA sounds really fun, I will definitely ask about that, and get the maths department to add me in for it if they can. How much does it rank in terms of qualifications?

Is just more personal statement/CV material, or will universities actually consider me over others if I have this.
A bloke on my maths course got a B for A level maths and quite frankly he's extremely good at university maths, simply because the teaching is completely different to A level. I'm pretty much the same, although I got an A in maths because I did papers and found my own resources.

Good luck to you, sir, because from personal experience a lot of unbelievably arrogant ********s who got A*'s at GCSE and A levels screwed up their degrees because they didn't know how to learn unless a teacher was sitting next to them telling them the methodology.

Quick Reply

Latest