The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by tobnot
Basically been told by my tutor today at 6th form that I'm not good enough to do medicine, and was asked why am I even bothering to apply! Really puts a downer on things! Really depressing :/

This has been happening to be all month since I got my AS results. The most annoying thing is when fellow students (ones that wanted to dentistry and medicine got Cs and Ds in their AS-Level) gave up hope and decided just because they can't get into the course of their choice they will put others down too.
Reply 381
Hmm and yeah she told me to basically not bother applying because there are only 30 places, which is rediculous because I've got just as much chance as anyone else and im applying for the right reasons! Grrrr lol. Oh well, still applying.... Not gonna give up that easily :biggrin:
Reply 382
Original post by tobnot
Hmm and yeah she told me to basically not bother applying because there are only 30 places, which is rediculous because I've got just as much chance as anyone else and im applying for the right reasons! Grrrr lol. Oh well, still applying.... Not gonna give up that easily :biggrin:

I know, they make you feel like crap. :mad:
Original post by tobnot

Original post by Besakt
This has been happening to be all month since I got my AS results. The most annoying thing is when fellow students (ones that wanted to dentistry and medicine got Cs and Ds in their AS-Level) gave up hope and decided just because they can't get into the course of their choice they will put others down too.

So glad you're not listening to them. The med school have been quite angry at the number of tutors telling their students not to bother or that they're not good enough when it's rubbish. There are only 30 places, yep. But that means that 30 people have to fill them. Why shouldn't it be you??!?

Eugh. Nice one though, keep going. And when you get in you can email all the old gits who told you not to bother from your shiny new uni email address and tell them what a fabulous time you're having at medical school. It's what I did :colone:

/rant.
Reply 384
Original post by tobnot
Basically been told by my tutor today at 6th form that I'm not good enough to do medicine, and was asked why am I even bothering to apply! Really puts a downer on things! Really depressing :/

My tutor has spent the entire year doing this to me...

"Being realistic and going for a career that is satisfying is not giving up. Sometimes some things in life were not meant to be and plugging away can be counter productive. To rethink your life is not giving up on a dream."

Really? Wanting to be a doctor and giving up because you are being told you are not good enough is not giving up on your dream apparently...

I had a meeting with my tutor earlier this year with my Chemistry teacher present. We had a discussion about how my health and family life was affecting my results (chronic tonsillitis, type 1 diabetes, countless cystitis) caring for my mum, holding out 2 jobs whilst studying ect..

He told me not to bother attempting to get into Medical School because they will throw me out because he didn't think I was fit for it and that I'm not good enough (erm wtf?) so I decided to make him look stupid by telling him that I would rather spend my life fighting for my dreams than settling for second best. I said that if you don't follow your dreams what's the point in living - you only have one life and that I didn't want to get to 80 years old, look back on my life and regret everything because I gave up and I didn't fight for what I wanted. I also said that if I get into Medical School and my health gets seriously bad again or things get worse that it is something that I will have to face and if the schools feels as though I am unable to cope with the course than I will respect their decision.

Atleast then I have actually tried. I'm not giving up until all my options have been drained. **** what others tell you. Believe in yourself and take a chance!! (Excuse my language :biggrin:)

Edit: In the end to stop him from giving me crap I told him I'm applying to do Nursing mainly this year. (Which I'm not) :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385
Haha well said! I don't think my tutor really understands the idea behind BM6.

Anyway, on a lighter note, how's everyone getting on with their applications? (only 3 weeks till the deadline! :s-smilie:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 386
Original post by tobnot
Haha well said! I don't think my tutor really understands the idea behind BM6.

Anyway, on a lighter note, how's everyone getting on with their applications? (only 3 weeks till the deadline! :s-smilie:)

Neither does mine but that's because we spend alot of time working out how to follow our dreams. I think alot of tutors are just interested in the colleges statistics with the grades achieved.

Well, mine is almost complete except for the personal statement which is giving me trouble and I still have a few decisions about choices to make really...

Yours?
Original post by xcoral23
My tutor has spent the entire year doing this to me...

"Being realistic and going for a career that is satisfying is not giving up. Sometimes some things in life were not meant to be and plugging away can be counter productive. To rethink your life is not giving up on a dream."

Really? Wanting to be a doctor and giving up because you are being told you are not good enough is not giving up on your dream apparently...

I had a meeting with my tutor earlier this year with my Chemistry teacher present. We had a discussion about how my health and family life was affecting my results (chronic tonsillitis, type 1 diabetes, countless cystitis) caring for my mum, holding out 2 jobs whilst studying ect..

He told me not to bother attempting to get into Medical School because they will throw me out because he didn't think I was fit for it and that I'm not good enough (erm wtf?) so I decided to make him look stupid by telling him that I would rather spend my life fighting for my dreams than settling for second best. I said that if you don't follow your dreams what's the point in living - you only have one life and that I didn't want to get to 80 years old, look back on my life and regret everything because I gave up and I didn't fight for what I wanted. I also said that if I get into Medical School and my health gets seriously bad again or things get worse that it is something that I will have to face and if the schools feels as though I am unable to cope with the course than I will respect their decision.

Atleast then I have actually tried. I'm not giving up until all my options have been drained. **** what others tell you. Believe in yourself and take a chance!! (Excuse my language :biggrin:)

Edit: In the end to stop him from giving me crap I told him I'm applying to do Nursing mainly this year. (Which I'm not) :colone:

You go, gurlfrieeeeeeeend!

I'm dreading the UKCAT and my pathetic excuse of a personal statement. And I'm still unclear on what to do next; whether to resit or not? :confused:
Reply 388
Original post by Tzarchasm
You go, gurlfrieeeeeeeend!

I'm dreading the UKCAT and my pathetic excuse of a personal statement. And I'm still unclear on what to do next; whether to resit or not? :confused:

Ahahahaha!! This has REALLY cheered my morning up reading this! Thanks :biggrin:

I'm dreading the UKCAT also, got it this Thursday :eek:

And my personal statement is being a poop as its wayyyyyy too long!!

What do you need to resit/what position are you in?
Reply 389
do u think my chances are low if im applying as a resit candidate?
Original post by 786girl

If anything they're increased. Loads of resit students in my year.You'll show maturity and life experience etc. :smile: It definitely doesn't lower them :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by BethaneyJ
If anything they're increased. Loads of resit students in my year.You'll show maturity and life experience etc. :smile: It definitely doesn't lower them :smile:

aw thanks so much!! im super relieved! x
Reply 392
Original post by 786girl

Not at all, instead, the chances are increased of securing a place. The reason being that you've gained more maturity and work experience ( hopefully ? ) over the year, and hence, you stand in a better position compared with new applicants. :smile:

If I may mention, I too myself am a second-time applying candidate. :biggrin:
Reply 393
How's everyones applications coming along ? :smile:

I must believe everyone would've completed their UKCAT by now, right ? If so, what did you all get ? :tongue:

My UKCAT is a week before the application deadline, i'm so dreading it :mad: I got like 697.5 last year ( re-applying this year since I didn't get a Medical place last year ), but I seriously am worried for this year, since I haven't prepared much at all. :frown:
Reply 394
Original post by arsi123
How's everyones applications coming along ? :smile:

I must believe everyone would've completed their UKCAT by now, right ? If so, what did you all get ? :tongue:

My UKCAT is a week before the application deadline, i'm so dreading it :mad: I got like 697.5 last year ( re-applying this year since I didn't get a Medical place last year ), but I seriously am worried for this year, since I haven't prepared much at all. :frown:

Mine was terrible, 592.5. The DA bought my overall avg. down I got 740 in AR but something like 540 in DA.
Reply 395
Original post by Besakt
Mine was terrible, 592.5. The DA bought my overall avg. down I got 740 in AR but something like 540 in DA.

Oh darn. But that's not too bad. I mean, it could have been worser.

I had a friend of mine who applied to Soton BM6 with a UKCAT of 550 odd last year and got an offer. So all is not lost, yet. :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by arsi123
Oh darn. But that's not too bad. I mean, it could have been worser.

I had a friend of mine who applied to Soton BM6 with a UKCAT of 550 odd last year and got an offer. So all is not lost, yet. :smile:

Yeah I was just looking at last years medicine applicants stalking thread and saw some people with UKCAT scores similar to mine get an offer. I've got a good PS and reference so hopefully that will get me through.
How much does southampton care about the ukcat for the BM6 is there a cut off score? i did really badly :frown: got 565... should i bother applying? I got ABBB for AS and im predicted A*AAb
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by Hanz_a93
How much does southampton care about the ukcat for the BM6 is there a cut off score? i did really badly :frown: got 565... should i bother applying? I got ABBB for AS and im predicted A*AAb

Yes, looking at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry somebody with 560 got an interview, so go for it.
Original post by Besakt
Yes, looking at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry somebody with 560 got an interview, so go for it.

what grades did he get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending