The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by IamBeowulf
what grades did he get

I don't know I've pm'd him but it's been a week and he hasn't replied.
Reply 401
Does anybody know what kind of questions will be asked at the Interview ?
Original post by Besakt
Yeah I was just looking at last years medicine applicants stalking thread and saw some people with UKCAT scores similar to mine get an offer. I've got a good PS and reference so hopefully that will get me through.

Original post by Hanz_a93
How much does southampton care about the ukcat for the BM6 is there a cut off score? i did really badly :frown: got 565... should i bother applying? I got ABBB for AS and im predicted A*AAb

Original post by arsi123
Oh darn. But that's not too bad. I mean, it could have been worser.

I had a friend of mine who applied to Soton BM6 with a UKCAT of 550 odd last year and got an offer. So all is not lost, yet. :smile:

The UKCAT isn't used for BM6, you just have to take it. So don't worry :smile:
Original post by arsi123
Does anybody know what kind of questions will be asked at the Interview ?

I do as I've done one! But I wouldn't be worrying about that just yet because it's based a lot on your personal statement (so don't lie lol) so until that's done....

...It also depends who you get. It could be students/lecturers/local head of VI forms/members of the public.

On a side note, I START BM5 TODAY! ^_^ The BM6 year goes so fast :x
Reply 404
Original post by BethaneyJ
I do as I've done one! But I wouldn't be worrying about that just yet because it's based a lot on your personal statement (so don't lie lol) so until that's done....

...It also depends who you get. It could be students/lecturers/local head of VI forms/members of the public.

On a side note, I START BM5 TODAY! ^_^ The BM6 year goes so fast :x

Congratulations for getting a place on BM6 course last year :smile: How was it ? Great, I hope ? :biggrin:

Also, if you don't mind, could you please list me a few questions which they asked on the Interview ? I'm really worried about the Interview ( if I get one ), and would find it mighty helpful if I could get an idea on the types of questions you were asked.

Thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by arsi123
Congratulations for getting a place on BM6 course last year :smile: How was it ? Great, I hope ? :biggrin:

Also, if you don't mind, could you please list me a few questions which they asked on the Interview ? I'm really worried about the Interview ( if I get one ), and would find it mighty helpful if I could get an idea on the types of questions you were asked.

Thank you. :biggrin:

It was amazing :biggrin: Seriously don't worry about it, they're not until January - March so you've got at least 4 months. They're just standard medicine questions anyway.
If anything they're increased. Loads of resit students in my year.You'll show maturity and life experience etc. :smile: It definitely doesn't lower them :smile:

Apparently, you're only allowed to resit one a level......Is this true?:confused:
Reply 407
Original post by Master.K

Apparently, you're only allowed to resit one a level......Is this true?:confused:

Admissions told me resits are fine as long as they're within the 2 A-level years
Original post by tobnot
Admissions told me resits are fine as long as they're within the 2 A-level years

I'm talking about resitting my A2 Year. =/
Reply 409

I'd ring admissions and check then :/
Reply 410
do your gcses matter for BM6? 'cause i got 5a's and 5a*'s, and for nottingham I'm not allowed to apply for the medicine with a foundation year because I meet the gcse grade requirements of the 5 year course, but i'm only predicted ABC so I can't apply because my predicted grades aren't high enough.
~le sigh
Reply 411

Well, for the BM5 Medicine course, which is 5-years, you are only allowed one A-Level re-sit. So I'm assuming that it'll be the same for the BM6 course too. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tobnot
Haha well said! I don't think my tutor really understands the idea behind BM6.

Anyway, on a lighter note, how's everyone getting on with their applications? (only 3 weeks till the deadline! :s-smilie:)

Almost done. My PS is finished, which ive given to my tutor, but I doubt its going to need editing. I did almost 7 drafts of it! :redface: You?

It's my reference I'm worried about. I've got no idea what school policy is on them, and I really dont want the school's "UCAS person" (I don't know her title lol) to do it. She sort of knows me, but I wouldn't want to put my future in my hands...which sounds weird, I know.
Reply 413
It was amazing :biggrin: Seriously don't worry about it, they're not until January - March so you've got at least 4 months. They're just standard medicine questions anyway.

If you don't mind me asking, did they ask you why you chose the BM6 course and not the BM5 course, and also, what reason did you provide ?

Thanks in advance for your response. :biggrin:
im thinking of applying to BM6. I applied last year for medicine but never got in (never applied to southampton). my ukcat let me down last year... just under 600. im also resitting my A2 year and got BBC in my alevels due to extenuating cuircumstances but im predicted AAA. revsing for my ukcat aswell which is on the 6th and doing my P.S.

You can redo 1 subject usually without question. Any more and they'll want to know why.

Original post by millypie
do your gcses matter for BM6? 'cause i got 5a's and 5a*'s, and for nottingham I'm not allowed to apply for the medicine with a foundation year because I meet the gcse grade requirements of the 5 year course, but i'm only predicted ABC so I can't apply because my predicted grades aren't high enough.
~le sigh

A minimum of five GCSEs at grades C or above, including mathematics, English and double award science (or equivalent). You may offer qualifications which are equivalent to GCSE.

There is no "maximum grades".

Original post by arsi123
If you don't mind me asking, did they ask you why you chose the BM6 course and not the BM5 course, and also, what reason did you provide ?

Thanks in advance for your response. :biggrin:

I don't mean to sound rude, or come across harshly but I am not going to answer these and I hope no one else does. I didn't have these answers when I applied but I managed. The answer to "why BM6?" is a hugely personal, and you should already know your own answer. You don't (despite what your college tells you) need practice for interviews in the way you'll think. Make sure you're comfortable talking about yourself and you know your personal statement, be sure of your own reasons to apply, read up about the uni and have a list of things about you that you want the interviewers to know before you leave. That is it.

The way I practised was:

List A - Write a list of things they need to know about me before I leave

List B - Internet search of "Medical School Questions"

Take 1st question on list B and answer incorporating the 1st point on list A. Then go to the 2nd point on list A, and answer the same question. Repeat until list A is finished. Move onto question 2.

Also you don't want to hear someone else's answers. They'll cloud your own and it will be obvious when they question you more. And SERIOUSLY stop worrying about the interview until you get one!!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: ;D ;D ;D :biggrin:

Original post by cobra2k10
im thinking of applying to BM6. I applied last year for medicine but never got in (never applied to southampton). my ukcat let me down last year... just under 600. im also resitting my A2 year and got BBC in my alevels due to extenuating cuircumstances but im predicted AAA. revsing for my ukcat aswell which is on the 6th and doing my P.S.

Good luck!
Reply 416
How much does southampton care about the ukcat for the BM6 is there a cut off score? i did really badly :frown: got 565... should i bother applying? I got ABBB for AS and im predicted A*AAb

BUMP!!:biggrin:

i got exact same As grades as you, what was your A grade in?
but my predictions are lower: AAA
UKCAT: 570:frown:

so very similar situation lol
Im also not sure if I should apply to the BM6, I meet the entry criteria its just that Im scared my UKCAT is too low.:s-smilie:
Reply 417
Original post by taunt

Original post by taunt

Im also not sure if I should apply to the BM6, I meet the entry criteria its just that Im scared my UKCAT is too low.:s-smilie:

They don't look at the UKCAT for BM6!!! :smile: Just make sure you have a good reason to apply for the BM6 and not BM5
Original post by taunt

Got an A in psychology! :angry: lool wbu?? Arghhh my score has totally made me feel lost now.. :s-smilie: i also meet the entry criteria's! I think we shud still apply since a guy with 565 got in last year lol :/ worth a shot :biggrin:
Got an A in psychology! :angry: lool wbu?? Arghhh my score has totally made me feel lost now.. :s-smilie: i also meet the entry criteria's! I think we shud still apply since a guy with 565 got in last year lol :/ worth a shot :biggrin:

Seriously they don't use it :biggrin: A guy with 565 may have got in, but so would a 700 and a 500. You need to make sure that your grades aren't the only reasons to apply though as they don't look too kindly on that as that isn't quite the point. But still, good luck with the application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending