The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
What about it?

Well I was just asking a general question about whether people would be happy to get a BA in economics, simply because its all Durham offer. But according to people i was studying with last year, no big companies want people from Durham with a BA and would rather look at places such as Warwick, Nottingham, UCL, etc. basically the universities with a similar reputation offering BScs. Begs the question, why dont they offer a BSc?
Reply 3361
Original post by hypercaine.
Well I was just asking a general question about whether people would be happy to get a BA in economics, simply because its all Durham offer. But according to people i was studying with last year, no big companies want people from Durham with a BA and would rather look at places such as Warwick, Nottingham, UCL, etc. basically the universities with a similar reputation offering BScs. Begs the question, why dont they offer a BSc?

In general top employers might prefer a BSc, but this doesn't mean they would disregard Durham as it's still a respected university. Cambridge also offer BA degrees only and it doesn't affect career prospects from there...
Original post by Tateco
In general top employers might prefer a BSc, but this doesn't mean they would disregard Durham as it's still a respected university. Cambridge also offer BA degrees only and it doesn't affect career prospects from there...

If you did media studies at Cambridge youd probably do pretty damn well in life too. The point is, its obviously affecting Durham graduates when you look at graduate destinations in comparison. It annoys me when universities ride on the back of their reputation instead of listening to what people want; this includes students and employers.
Just a bit of a rant really.
Reply 3363
Original post by hypercaine.
If you did media studies at Cambridge youd probably do pretty damn well in life too. The point is, its obviously affecting Durham graduates when you look at graduate destinations in comparison. It annoys me when universities ride on the back of their reputation instead of listening to what people want; this includes students and employers.
Just a bit of a rant really.

Yeah I know what you mean, but unfortunately reputations are difficult to change and because there are so many graduates with top degrees, employers can afford to be picky about who they choose and can use something as menial as the discrepancies in degree titles to distinguish between applicants.
Original post by jeparlefrançais
I got BBBD in Economics, French, Maths and Chem

I'm getting predicted grades of A*AAB/A*AAA/AAAA in Maths, FM, Economics and French.

This is horrific. I haven't been on this thread in days and see this and feel so upset by the unfair predictions.

Unrelated but one girl in my school got ABCC (Hist, English, Economics, Maths) and has managed to get an A*AA prediction (Maths, English, History). Whilst people who have got the 4 As at AS haven't got a single A* prediction.

It just goes to show that sucking up to your teachers helps. They don't want to predict the most able students top grades, but are happy to predict those have have failed (I know it's not a complete fail but still) 2-3 grades higher just to help them get into uni.

RANT OVER. :angry:
Original post by 94george94
This is horrific. I haven't been on this thread in days and see this and feel so upset by the unfair predictions.

Unrelated but one girl in my school got ABCC (Hist, English, Economics, Maths) and has managed to get an A*AA prediction (Maths, English, History). Whilst people who have got the 4 As at AS haven't got a single A* prediction.

It just goes to show that sucking up to your teachers helps. They don't want to predict the most able students top grades, but are happy to predict those have have failed (I know it's not a complete fail but still) 2-3 grades higher just to help them get into uni.

RANT OVER. :angry:

Too true, I know someone who got ABC and got predicted AAA - ahead of others who got higher than him at AS. This was last year as well, where you didn't have to show your AS grades and so predicted grades meant almost everything.

On a related note, there are many people who got predicted exactly what they achieved at AS (whilst many schools put people up for no reason), and many went on to achieve much higher grades at A2.

Another horrific example is how one person in my year got BBB at AS and wanted to apply to dentistry. Obviously our school refused to predict him As, so he moved to another school who offered to predict him 3 As - I mean predictions are based on the student's work and potential shown over the year, so how can a new school justify putting all of his grades up? The whole thing is ridiculously corrupt.

I hope the proposition of people having to apply to university after they receive their A2 grades is accepted, because it will be a lot fairer.
Reply 3366
So! I'm applying this year to do Economics and had a few questions, which the knowledgable amongst you may be able to answer for me!
I'm a third year student, because I messed up my first year, getting 4 D's. This was mainly due to a **** load of family problems and personal things, and it also effected my GCSE's (in my opinion) so I got some shockers there too! 2 A's, 4 B's 4 C's and a D (in art)...
However this year I've completely turned it around, getting four A's in my AS's (Economics, Electronics, Maths & Physics), many of which were the highest in my year. I'm now predicted 2 A*'s in Maths and Economics, and an A in Physics. I'm also taking Further Maths to AS and am predicted an A in that too.
Since turning around I've been thinking that I may have a chance at Oxford as I emailed them and they said there's no problem with the additional year and that I need to show clear upward progression from GCSE, which I definitley have done! I'm also interested in LSE, so my question is; what do you guys think the chances are of getting into these places? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Original post by Aboosh
So! I'm applying this year to do Economics and had a few questions, which the knowledgable amongst you may be able to answer for me!
I'm a third year student, because I messed up my first year, getting 4 D's. This was mainly due to a **** load of family problems and personal things, and it also effected my GCSE's (in my opinion) so I got some shockers there too! 2 A's, 4 B's 4 C's and a D (in art)...
However this year I've completely turned it around, getting four A's in my AS's (Economics, Electronics, Maths & Physics), many of which were the highest in my year. I'm now predicted 2 A*'s in Maths and Economics, and an A in Physics. I'm also taking Further Maths to AS and am predicted an A in that too.
Since turning around I've been thinking that I may have a chance at Oxford as I emailed them and they said there's no problem with the additional year and that I need to show clear upward progression from GCSE, which I definitley have done! I'm also interested in LSE, so my question is; what do you guys think the chances are of getting into these places? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

I think LSE would be a much riskier choice for you, as it's the most competitive and places focus on GCSE other than the AS grades. The personal statement also has to be exceptionally great, as you won't have the chance to show your knowledge through interview like in Oxford.
Reply 3368
Original post by paperstars123
I think LSE would be a much riskier choice for you, as it's the most competitive and places focus on GCSE other than the AS grades. The personal statement also has to be exceptionally great, as you won't have the chance to show your knowledge through interview like in Oxford.

Thanks for replying! Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, I went to the open day and fell in love with the place though ya know! Obviously that's not sufficient ground to apply on, but I had it in my head that the obsession with GCSE's was a bit of a myth. Even if my 'extenuating circumstances' were mentioned, do you think the chances would still be slim?
Original post by Aboosh
Thanks for replying! Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, I went to the open day and fell in love with the place though ya know! Obviously that's not sufficient ground to apply on, but I had it in my head that the obsession with GCSE's was a bit of a myth. Even if my 'extenuating circumstances' were mentioned, do you think the chances would still be slim?

I'm an applicant myself so I don't know much about your chances, really. But I do believe that GCSE take up some weight in LSE especially most applicants have similarly great AS grades and predictions. Check their prospectus and see - if I remember correctly, there is a brief description on straight As in GCSE is favourable. I personally think your GCSE would hinder you, but if you're really that keen, just apply for it and have a really good back-up as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3370
Original post by paperstars123
I'm an applicant myself so I don't know much about your chances, really. But I do believe that GCSE take up some weight in LSE especially most applicants have similarly great AS grades and predictions. Check their prospectus and see - if I remember correctly, I saw a description on straight As in GCSE is favourable. I personally think your GCSE would hinder you, but if you're really that keen, just apply for it but have a really good back-up as well.

I can imagine as they get so many applicants they need to filter it further using GCSE's. So I imagine you're right, who are you thinking about applying to? And how're your predictions? If you don't mind me asking...
Original post by Aboosh
I can imagine as they get so many applicants they need to filter it further using GCSE's. So I imagine you're right, who are you thinking about applying to? And how're your predictions? If you don't mind me asking...

I'm doing the IB, not A levels, and my prediction is around 41 points (haven't got the official predictions yet). Thinking of applying to Nottingham, (maybe)York, Durham. What about you?
Damn, I remember periods where no one posted on this thread for days/weeks.
Reply 3375
Original post by Aboosh

Well done one turning things around. If your UMS were high you could try Cambridge but I don't know who they'd take the additional year. Oxford wise, since they've said they don't mind the extra year, you can apply there if Cambridge don't accept the extra year. Having said this, I've heard Oxford are more strict on GCSEs and don't look at AS UMS at all so I'd think their admissions test would be quite important. As I'm applying to Camb I'm not sure how things work at Oxford but it would be tough getting called for an interview with your profile. But, definitely give it a shot. You have 5 places so you might as well go for it.

Now, moving on to LSE. I would definitely advise against applying for pure economics. You could try one of the joint courses? LSE are incredibly competitive, especially pure economics and your GCSEs and extra year at AS all but rule you out if I'm honest. Heck, I'm too scared to apply for pure (applying for Maths and Econ) with 9A* at GCSE, an A* at Maths A-level and As in 3 other AS. It's like the lottery really.
Reply 3376
Original post by Aboosh

Could look into the CSAS at Cambridge...
Original post by Aboosh

Hey :smile:
I'm also an E&M applicant hence I can tell you a bit about your chances for E&M at Oxford. You're predictions and AS grades are definetely good enough and you will stand a reasonable chance. But even though Oxford says you should show a clear upward progression from GCSEs in order to stand a chance, it will be quite difficult with those sort of grades. E&M is one of the most competitive courses out of all. The acceptance rate is only 7.8% and the tutors at Oxford told me that they take the GCSEs, TSA and the A2 predictions very seriously (especially GCSE) to decide who gets interviewed and who doesn't (although it might vary from college to college). You seem like a strong candidate and I am sure that an interview would help but the problem is that they might not even invite you due to your GCSEs. You have to consider that all other candidates that get invited for interviews usually have like 7A* or more. It'll be very difficult for you to stand out and get an interview. I don't want you to be put off to apply but maybe you should ask Cambridge what they think about your GCSEs and your general chances. If you have high UMS scores you'll certainly stand a chance. In addition you will get an interview for sure since Cambridge interviews 90% of all applicants whereas Oxford only 30%. I wish you good luck with whatever decision you make :smile:

Thanks for this, was very helpful :smile:

What I found most interesting was that they made offers to 1/3 of their applicants which seems quite high :biggrin:
Reply 3379
Original post by jamiepango
Thanks for this, was very helpful :smile:

What I found most interesting was that they made offers to 1/3 of their applicants which seems quite high :biggrin:

Didn't know that :eek: How many offers in total?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending