The Student Room Group

Pay and Display Parking Fines for being a few seconds late!!

I witnessed this scene today and wanted know peoples thoughts on it.

Today I finished work early (:smile:)and came back to my car to witness an argument between a parking attendant and a member of the public.

From what I understand a guy had just received a parking ticket because the time that he was allowed to be parked in the particular spot had expired by literally a few seconds. The guy argued that he had been in a long line in the post office, so it was not his fault that he was late. I think its also important to let you know that the road was dam near empty, so there were loads of free spots available for other drivers to park in.

My question is, do you think parking attendants or councils should easy up on fines when a person is a few seconds/minutes late in moving their car?

Do you think councils even care?

Personally I think its ridiculous that someone should have to pay up to £130 for being a few minutes/seconds late on moving their car, especially when there are numerous amounts of parking spots available for others to use.

Scroll to see replies

I always thought you were given an extra few minutes leeway anyway.
Parking attendants are ***** but it's not their fault. They're given quotas. :sad:
Original post by SirMasterKey

Not this guy unfortunately. Have you been given extra time to get back to your car?
Reply 4
I once received a ticket, and had TWO HOURS left on my displayed ticket. I had dropped it behind another, though had left the time paid and amount paid visible.
I argued and contested it, they still said no, so I paid the £25 in 2 weeks....

14 installments of £1.78 plus a £0.08 cheque which I forgot to sign so they posted it back for me to sign and repost... Still my bank statement was the last laugh

14:04 Payment to WDC
14:05 Payment to WDC
14:06 Payment to WDC
Reply 5
Are you sure it wasnt £10? Ive seen the T Mobile advert!
Original post by DanielMonopoly
Not this guy unfortunately. Have you been given extra time to get back to your car?

Well I don't have a car and on the few occassions my family has been slightly late, they were no wardens around.

But seriously, they need to give you a couple of minutes as if your watch is slow then you won't actually realise that the time has passed.
Original post by Slawted

Original post by Slawted
Are you sure it wasnt £10? Ive seen the T Mobile advert!

lol so have I. I don't know how much he specifically got fined but I know it can go up to £130+
Reply 8
-

I hope he appeals it because I'm pretty sure he will not get fined...

Usually they should give ~3 minutes lee-way.

But meh...people these days - I don't really know much about how traffic wardens operate (can someone shed some light) but I have a sneaky suspicion that they follow a similar deal to the US's 'quota' system where traffic cops get rewarded / reprimanded if they ticket more or less than a certain number over a period of time.
Reply 9
bloody parking attendants, vermin!!
how about we all get a job as a parking attendant and never ever issue a single ticket, see how long we last!
I thought there was an automatic leeway in the time.
They were given a time to be back by. End of, really. It is their fault because if they go into the shop and see a long queue and decide to risk it, they made that decision. Unless they got hit by a truck or had to save someone from drowning, I don't think they should wiggle out of a fine.

That said, it's a nice thing when parking attendants give a little flexibility. It shouldn't be expected, though.
Original post by Landie_Man
I once received a ticket, and had TWO HOURS left on my displayed ticket. I had dropped it behind another, though had left the time paid and amount paid visible.

14 installments of £1.78 plus a £0.08 cheque which I forgot to sign so they posted it back for me to sign and repost... Still my bank statement was the last laugh

I thought if you could provide proof of a valid ticket, you could get the fines withdrawn?
Reply 14
The guy argued that he had been in a long line in the post office, so it was not his fault that he was late.

That is literally the worst excuse ever. How is it not his fault?
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
I thought if you could provide proof of a valid ticket, you could get the fines withdrawn?

They werent having it
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
That is literally the worst excuse ever. How is it not his fault?

I don't know mate but it sounded like the attendant had waited next to the car for the time to run out and then gave him a ticket
Original post by History123

How long would that be?
Reply 18
I witnessed this scene today and wanted know peoples thoughts on it.

Today I finished work early (:smile:)and came back to my car to witness an argument between a parking attendant and a member of the public.

From what I understand a guy had just received a parking ticket because the time that he was allowed to be parked in the particular spot had expired by literally a few seconds. The guy argued that he had been in a long line in the post office, so it was not his fault that he was late. I think its also important to let you know that the road was dam near empty, so there were loads of free spots available for other drivers to park in.

My question is, do you think parking attendants or councils should easy up on fines when a person is a few seconds/minutes late in moving their car?

Do you think councils even care?

Personally I think its ridiculous that someone should have to pay up to £130 for being a few minutes/seconds late on moving their car, especially when there are numerous amounts of parking spots available for others to use.

If you return to your vehicle and there is a parking attendant in the process of issuing a PCN. Do not stop. Do not argue. Get into your car and start the engine as quickly as possible and drive away as quickly as it is safe to do so.

A PCN is not legally issued until it is placed on your windscreen or in your hand.

The Parking Attendants will never stop or look up when you start to argue because they are trying to issue the PCN as fast as possible.

Drive away safely. They cannot do anything.

Original post by kidoo
Usually they should give ~3 minutes lee-way.

This is nonsense. There is no such thing as leeway.

how about we all get a job as a parking attendant and never ever issue a single ticket, see how long we last!

How about we all start selling drugs or trafficking humans? Those are all jobs that also suck the blood of ordinary people.

Wychavon District Council by any chance?

Latest