The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Online gaming at Cardiff Uni

Scroll to see replies

They don't individually vet what sites you visit, so using a proxy for an innocent reason is fine.

Try this one.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 61

That works just great! Thanks!

Reckon I'll be okay to use that on sites which I need it? I was kind of hoping to carry on catching up with some missed TV on TV-links.

Just worried and don't want to get on the bad side of the IT guys this early :wink:
If you're using it to access sites that are blocked by the network then you're on shaky ground.

If sites aren't displaying correctly then it might be worth contacting the HelpDesk, either by phone (029 208 74487) or email ([email protected]).
Reply 63
Original post by Pthaos
That's a shame. From what the FAQs seemed to indicate, that sort of thing is a possibility as the ports used for games like that are also very easily hackable if anyone wanted to get into the network and cause trouble etc, so it's understandable why that sort of thing is blocked.

That's definately a shame, it's something that I'll miss doing, but if I can get the grades required for my Cardiff offer then this isn't going to change me wanting to put Cardiff as my first choice. :frown:

It's only a year mate, even less than that if you head home for Holidays. I didn't realise I couldn't play games in halls at Newcastle as the ports were blocked there too, this gutted me as I'm a massive gamer, however the year goes quickly, and if you get stuck into the social side you don't miss it. A guy on my corridoor was able to play WoW though, I think he used a dongle in order to do it. Tomorrow I'm moving into my house in newcaslte, and taking my PC with me, going to be playing all year whilst keeping up with the social life I built last year.
Reply 64

Neither of the sites I'm looking at (TSR or TV-Links) are blocked by the Uni I don't think, seeing as I can still get on them without a proxy, just they are shown in this annoying basic format. I've thrown together a quick email to them though. They may be able to help.

Next on my to-do list with this network is trying to sort out Steam. I had it working earlier but now I'm getting errors on the "store" page of the application and finding that I'm now unable to connect to game servers where I could earlier. I guess the connection is a bit patchy with that.

God I hate this damn thing. Everything is basically in text. It's annoying.
Reply 66
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
God I hate this damn thing. Everything is basically in text. It's annoying.

You have it too?

Mine cleared up this morning and TSR is back to it's regular format and skin. If yours is still bad, try using that Proxy that was linked before. I found that the regular text format was alright, but I had to use that proxy to post new threads or advanced replies as the buttons just weren't there in basic text. :s-smilie:
Has anyone managed to get xbl?
Reply 68
Original post by Pthaos
You have it too?

Mine cleared up this morning and TSR is back to it's regular format and skin. If yours is still bad, try using that Proxy that was linked before. I found that the regular text format was alright, but I had to use that proxy to post new threads or advanced replies as the buttons just weren't there in basic text. :s-smilie:

Yeah me too... Mine seems to be fixed.
Reply 69
Original post by Will.Kenyon
Has anyone managed to get xbl?

I haven't brought my Xbox down, but I've checked online while connected to RESLAN and the ports needed for it are indeed blocked.

As a heads up, same goes for Steam.
I tried the MAC clone trick and it allowed the console to connect to the internet, but not to Xbox live. Anyone had this/ anyone give any advice? Cheers
Original post by electrocaine
I tried the MAC clone trick and it allowed the console to connect to the internet, but not to Xbox live. Anyone had this/ anyone give any advice? Cheers

I'm afraid that's just how it is; Xbox Live ports are blocked.
Original post by electrocaine

Haha so did I and i had the same problem as well as using connectify which doesnt work :/
ah :/ is that a new thing then because previous posts suggest it worked over the last few years?
Reply 74
Hey, an update for any PC gamers still watching this thread.

I've spoken to INSERV and they claim Steam should work, and... alright, it sort of does, and mostly doesn't. I'm emailing them to explain exactly what the situation is, and will continue to pester them until it's sorted.

Regarding the games themselves: the INSERV bod I spoke said

As for specific games, whilst we don't intentionally block any games, we typically don't open any ports on the firewall unless there's a valid academic reason.
I appreciate that some of these games now behave differently from the last academic year but we're now running a new firewall system that was introduced at the start of this year's intake.
On the plus side, should there be enough demand for a specific game, we would consider making a change to the firewall policies to allow these through, providing that no security risks would emerge from their usage.
At the moment, you're the only person who's requested use of these games, should you know anyone else in halls who would like to use these, please get them to log a call with our service desk, advising so.
Although it's no guarantee that we can make the changes, it would certainly strengthen the case.

Personally my concerns are TF2 and Guild Wars :u: but if people want those or other games... make some noise, let the INSERV guys know, and they probably still won't do anything but at least we can say we tried.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by orangecup
Hey, an update for any PC gamers still watching this thread.

I've spoken to INSERV and they claim Steam should work, and... alright, it sort of does, and mostly doesn't. I'm emailing them to explain exactly what the situation is, and will continue to pester them until it's sorted.

Interesting. I was grabbed by some people from the Cardiff Computer Gaming Society on my walk back to my residences the other day who asked me to sign a petition for Xbox Live/PSN/Steam, apparently Cardiff Uni/INSERV approached them about it at the start of this year, not the other way around so we may see some change.

Two questions -

How would I go about speaking to INSERV and "log a call with their service desk"?
Was that a direct quote from the Inserv guy copy/pasted from an email, or just a paraphrased description of what he said to you in person? :smile:
Original post by Pthaos
Interesting. I was grabbed by some people from the Cardiff Computer Gaming Society on my walk back to my residences the other day who asked me to sign a petition for Xbox Live/PSN/Steam, apparently Cardiff Uni/INSERV approached them about it at the start of this year, not the other way around so we may see some change.

Two questions -

How would I go about speaking to INSERV and "log a call with their service desk"?
Was that a direct quote from the Inserv guy copy/pasted from an email, or just a paraphrased description of what he said to you in person? :smile:

Go here:
http://cf.ac.uk/insrv/it/help/index.html

Oh, and it's INSRV (INformation SeRVices) :smile:
Reply 77
It was a copy-paste from an email.

You can log a call with them either by dropping them an email ([email protected]) or phoning them/using the contact from at their webpage here.

They've been bleating about "possible" Xbox360/PSN support for several years, now, so I don't personally put too much stock in it - RESLAN registration for the last two years has asked me if I would use games consoles on the network (gimmie my XBL, kthx), and I remember that digging around for information before I started threw up similar indications.

It'd be nice if we could get that too, though, mind.
Reply 78
I had a query open with them about webpages not being displayed correctly and Steam not working. I recieved a reply earlier today asking me to bring my laptop down to them, but the webpage issue has gone, and it's a desktop anyway so I can't really. I did reply back asking a bit about Steam though just now.

I doubt anything will be changed as a result of emails, but it's worth a try.
Gah the internet can be incredibly annoying. Something that worked fine yesterday now no longer works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending