The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cravez
oh ok cool. do I have to do this even if my degree is accredited by IBMS?

You can only do it if your degree is accredited by the ibms.
Reply 301
Hi!

applying for biomedical science this year and i just wanted to know, could i go into research after my degree? what do most people do with a biomedical science degree? Is anyone else thinking about Masters after their degree ?

I have my heart set on Manchester University but part of me feels like they would just laugh at my application :frown:

Gained BCCC @ AS, resitting CC to (hopefully) gained ABB (one of the Bs is a very high B) with the predicted grades of AAB/ABB

do i even stand a chance @Manchester ?

:frown:
Nothing like walking into uni to the smell of inoculated broth culture. :puke:
Hi :smile:
I'm sending off my UCAS next week to do Biomedical science at either Bangor, Chester, Keele, Licoln or Liverpool John Moores. Hopefully i can get offers from all of them :biggrin:
Good luck to everyone else applying this year too!
Reply 304
I aM on the verge of applying for biomed at unis that are within the range of 50-80 in the rankings. The unis I am considering are: Westminster, Chester, Coventry and DeMontford but Im unsure whether Ill make the cut with poor AS results of CDD:frown:. I may try to persuade my teachers to prdict me BCC because I am capable of achieving those grades but just had a bad year last year in terms of revision. My only consolation is that those unis offer people with A2 predictions of CCC.
Reply 305
*subscribes* :ninja:
Reply 306
hey guys, i need help on whether to do an accredited course or not! i don't know whether i want to do research after or work for the nhs. I got in contact with IBMS and they said I would need to do top up courses if i did a non-accredited course. Does anyone know how long it would take? :/

Is it is possible to go into research with an accredited course if you didn't want to work in the nhs after all?
Reply 307
Original post by amto8594
hey guys, i need help on whether to do an accredited course or not! i don't know whether i want to do research after or work for the nhs. I got in contact with IBMS and they said I would need to do top up courses if i did a non-accredited course. Does anyone know how long it would take? :/

Is it is possible to go into research with an accredited course if you didn't want to work in the nhs after all?

What course and where did you do it?
Hey! :smile:

I'm still studying at school but I'm thinking to apply for Biomedical Sciences in 1 year. The thing is that I don't have any support from my family and relatives. :biggrin: Because apparently one relative's colleague's daughter studied Biomedicine and she couldn't find a job for 3 years after she graduated.:K::boring: They keep telling me to "study anything but not Bio-something".:erm: They also say I'll spend my whole life alone in a lab (but I don't wanna spend my whole life in an office with documents either! :biggrin: ). I really believe in Biology and "Bio-somethings" though:colone: And Biology is my favorite subject. I don't know what else would I study... Well, I'll still probably do as I want but it's really hard when my closest people tell it would be the mistake of my life. :curious: I don't know what else to say to them... :/ :colone: c'mon.. how to persuade them? :innocent::nooo:
Original post by shutthedoor

I'm still studying at school but I'm thinking to apply for Biomedical Sciences in 1 year. The thing is that I don't have any support from my family and relatives. :biggrin: Because apparently one relative's colleague's daughter studied Biomedicine and she couldn't find a job for 3 years after she graduated.:K::boring: They keep telling me to "study anything but not Bio-something".:erm: They also say I'll spend my whole life alone in a lab (but I don't wanna spend my whole life in an office with documents either! :biggrin: ). I really believe in Biology and "Bio-somethings" though:colone: And Biology is my favorite subject. I don't know what else would I study... Well, I'll still probably do as I want but it's really hard when my closest people tell it would be the mistake of my life. :curious: I don't know what else to say to them... :/ :colone: c'mon.. how to persuade them? :innocent::nooo:

Well in all honesty you don't really need their support because you can easily pay for yourself with loans etc. But obviously it's better if your parents approve of the subject you're doing, so tell them that's the thing you're best at/you most enjoy :smile: They'd be silly to stop you from doing the thing you want to do most. And as for the girl's experience, that's only one person and the courses on offer now make you more employable than the older ones (IBMS accredited courses). Good luck persuading them :smile:
Reply 310
Original post by shutthedoor

"study anything but not Bio-something" .... whoever said this to you is clearly misinformed and shouldn't be advising ANYONE. EVER. on what to do with their life.
Original post by MayNaomi
"study anything but not Bio-something" .... whoever said this to you is clearly misinformed and shouldn't be advising ANYONE. EVER. on what to do with their life.

That was my relative's colleague's daughter. She said there are no work places for Biomedical Scientists in Europe at all anymore, maybe in America but in Europe definitely now... :biggrin: They weren't able to tell me where they get their info from though...:rolleyes::biggrin:
I'm doing biomed and we are having our first session in the dissection room this Monday....Dunno how I'll react to the cadavers....I think I'll be okay, but I have this really wierd feeling that I'm somehow going to fall onto a body somehow lol
Original post by sheep_go_baa
I'm doing biomed and we are having our first session in the dissection room this Monday....Dunno how I'll react to the cadavers....I think I'll be okay, but I have this really wierd feeling that I'm somehow going to fall onto a body somehow lol

I'm quite jealous that you get to do that!! We were treated to a video of several autopsies on Monday. Our lecturer said we could leave if we were squeamish - some poor girl passed out before she could get the door open :frown:
Reply 314
yesterday on friday was my official first week and my first lectures where i learnt something.

he taught us As level chemistry for the first lecture i think called cell science yeah but he taught alot.

and human physiology and anatomy :frown: soo much he taught us my pen ran out of ink lol

does he want us to revise this now ( basically the sections of a body midsadigtal lol and tranverse and allso thin layers round organs soo much)

HELPPPPP!!!!

i am FIRST YEAR:frown:
Original post by Foxydelic54
I'm quite jealous that you get to do that!! We were treated to a video of several autopsies on Monday. Our lecturer said we could leave if we were squeamish - some poor girl passed out before she could get the door open :frown:

Just from the video?? Whoaa imagine what would happen if she had to go to the DR :redface:
Just from the video?? Whoaa imagine what would happen if she had to go to the DR :redface:

Yeah! About ten people left. The video wasn't particularly gruesome either, I thought it was going to show a lot more than it actually did.
I wish we got to go into a DR - don't forget to wipe something nice-smelling under your nose beforehand!!
Original post by Foxydelic54
Yeah! About ten people left. The video wasn't particularly gruesome either, I thought it was going to show a lot more than it actually did.
I wish we got to go into a DR - don't forget to wipe something nice-smelling under your nose beforehand!!

Haha yeah I will! We have to buy labcoats and stuff but we don't have lockers yet, so the gloves and labcoat will have to be taken home ewwwww!

Apparently the smell of the embalming chemicals and formaldehyde and stuff has a side effect of making you hungry haha!
Haha yeah I will! We have to buy labcoats and stuff but we don't have lockers yet, so the gloves and labcoat will have to be taken home ewwwww!

Apparently the smell of the embalming chemicals and formaldehyde and stuff has a side effect of making you hungry haha!

we got our Labcoats and Safety specs for free :smile: Put them on a boil wash!

Oh really? I wonder if it makes you hungry for rare steak :tongue:
Reply 319
Original post by Yawn11

Original post by Yawn11
What course and where did you do it?

I haven't done the course yet, but i'm applying to King's and UCL and Manchester which are non-accredited and I want to study biomedical science.

Latest

Trending

Trending