The Student Room Group

Amateur boxing at university level

Fifty years ago, every University throughout the English-speaking world had a student Boxing Club, and this tough combat sport was practiced to a high standard.
Indeed, organised amateur boxing at the University of Manchester began in the year 1850 - five years before the Light Brigade charged during the Crimean War!
By 1969 there as just one functioning English student boxing club - Cambridge University ABC - and although the situation has improved since then, many Universities still do not offer instruction in the "Noble Art of Self-Defence".....
If there is anyone at Loughborough University who is interested in starting up a new Boxing Club, please let me know .... and I'll do my very best to help!
Reply 1
Original post by Simon Kemp
Fifty years ago, every University throughout the English-speaking world had a student Boxing Club, and this tough combat sport was practiced to a high standard.
Indeed, organised amateur boxing at the University of Manchester began in the year 1850 - five years before the Light Brigade charged during the Crimean War!
By 1969 there as just one functioning English student boxing club - Cambridge University ABC - and although the situation has improved since then, many Universities still do not offer instruction in the "Noble Art of Self-Defence".....
If there is anyone at Loughborough University who is interested in starting up a new Boxing Club, please let me know .... and I'll do my very best to help!

The word "fight" is never, ever to be used in connection with the sport of Amateur Boxing.
Most of the students who box at my uni go to the local clubs, of which there are many. Then they represent the uni in tournaments and the annual varsity, which is a cracking event.

Running a club requires qualified coaches and protection officers. You can progress a level per year, but a level 2 coach is needed to hold sparring sessions in a gym, and coaches must be qualified and DBS cleared to second a boxer in a bout. Yes, I think it's a load of red tape, but that's the way it is nowadays. Amateur boxing's very big on being qualified for the task, and in some respects correctly so.

I'm an ABA official, so contact me if you need any advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Why are qualified Protection Officers needed for a University-based, student-run Boxing Club?
It's just a requirement by the ABA. You get your DBS clearance when you complete an ABA coaching or officials course.

The child protection side of things isn't neccesarily just about protecting children, and every club needs someone with the qualification (Safeguarding and Protecting Children) It's about protecting the interests of club members, so for example if a club member approached you and told you they were being abused at home, it would be your duty to inform the authorities.

In this day and age, nothing is left to chance, so every coach and official must have the correct qualification, taken the correct exams, and have the certificate and badge to prove it. It's a lot of red tape, but it's the modern way. Still to this day there are institutions trying to ban boxing, as it's believed to be a brutal and barbaric sport, therefore the board keep everything as controlled as possible.

As for uni boxer, I remember reading about a uni boxing club roughly a year ago, but now I can't find the website. As I said previously, uni boxers simy box out of local clubs, who have better coaches, equipment and organisation. Then they represent the uni in the uni tournaments and varsity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Since University students are all non-vulnerable adults, and welfare issues are the responsibility of the Students' Union, this doesn't explain why boxing clubs based in higher education require a Child Protection Officer!
If you wish to set up an ABA affiliated boxing club, you will have to meet their criteria, and tick all the boxes. You can make a non-affiliated boxing club, but none of your boxers will get any matches, the ABA holds all of the cards.

Please look at this website for more info:

http://www.abae.co.uk/aba/index.cfm/clubs/setting-up-and-developing-your-club/

The ABA has a monopoly on amateur boxing, as it is the governing body. Do as they say or you will not box competitively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am a x pro boxer and I want to do my aba coaching level 1 and 2 with the noledge I have is it possible I could do them both couple of months apart .i have my emergency firstaid and dbr check.the only thing I need to do is safeguarding I have insurance to I have done my elite course at ricky hatton academy to.
How do you know that all students are non vulnerable adults?
Original post by Simon Kemp
Since University students are all non-vulnerable adults, and welfare issues are the responsibility of the Students' Union, this doesn't explain why boxing clubs based in higher education require a Child Protection Officer!
Hello,I'm an amateur boxer form Nepal looking to travel to USA for higher studies and boxing as well.Please reach out to me.
Reply 10
Can they get sport scholarships by representing school in boxing events for instance BUCS?

Quick Reply

Latest