The Student Room Group

Greenwich school of management - anyone?

Hello

i am thinking of applying for the business management degree at the greenwich school of management. I can't find any reviews of it online from actual students.

I would be grateful if anyone on here who has studied there could give me some information and answer any questions i have.

Has anyone studied here?

Or is there anyone thinking of studying here?

Thanks

jason

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by monkeylove
Hello

i am thinking of applying for the business management degree at the greenwich school of management. I can't find any reviews of it online from actual students.

I would be grateful if anyone on here who has studied there could give me some information and answer any questions i have.

Has anyone studied here?

Thanks

jason

I know my mate is starting there this year
Reply 2
Hi I have a studio room at McMillan Student Village in Greenwich available as I am leaving Trinity Laban university. It is £170 a week. It is free asap. Let me know if you are interested, Ashley
Reply 3
Original post by RedmondAA
Hi I have a studio room at McMillan Student Village in Greenwich available as I am leaving Trinity Laban university. It is £170 a week. It is free asap. Let me know if you are interested, Ashley

Hiya Ashley, I don't know if your flat's still available; however, I have been looking for studios within greenwich, and would be interested. Would you mind sending me details on it? Gwen
Reply 4
Original post by monkeylove
Hello

Has anyone studied here?

Thanks

jason

Im studying business management, in my 2nd yr now. make sure you do your assignments and portfolios as soon as possible. It's really easy to let things slip and before you know it the deadlines aproaching. 1st year aint that difficult, its like an into to management really, you should be ok. 2nd yr is where the real work begins and 3rd yr ahhh u die. :biggrin:
Original post by jlinb
Im studying business management, in my 2nd yr now. make sure you do your assignments and portfolios as soon as possible. It's really easy to let things slip and before you know it the deadlines aproaching. 1st year aint that difficult, its like an into to management really, you should be ok. 2nd yr is where the real work begins and 3rd yr ahhh u die. :biggrin:

is it a good institution?
Original post by jlinb

which reminds me, where is the campus? on my letter it said 'London Bridge Study Centre' where is that? it isn't the main campus.
Reply 7
Hi Jason,

I'm currently in my 2nd year at GSoM, depends what you want to know really, so just let me know and I'll try and help you out.

Gweneth
Reply 8
Original post by Silver Lining
is it a good institution?

I have been to study at a different university, and comparing it to that, it is a very poor institution, the customer services is poor, teaching is poor, but when they are chasing people for money they must have it, or they will kick you off the course, once they get your money, they don't want to know you.

Should reconsider your options, the biggest regret ever. :angry::mad:
Reply 9
Hi this is to anyone thats thinking about GSOM London.

DO NOT APPLY!

They are not a proper university. The thing with affiliation with university of plymouth is a load of tosh. Your transcript has GSM written all over it! No one will employ you. I have someone a mate that graduated with a first in I.T and still cannot get a job - And i.t is a growing market.

Also they only care about signing you up quickly and they'll do anything to get you on so they can get money off you. Then they don't care if you pass or fail the course. they want you to fail so that they can get more money off you by repeating.
the tuition fee is £7000. And if it was a real uni student finance will pay the whole 7k but they don't. GSM only gets 6k from SLC and then 1k you have to pay out your pocket.
When you take an exam - you pay £20 per exam, retake it it costs £50 then third attempt costs £100... per module. A real legit uni does not charge you for retakes!! They are here to rinse you dry and give you a worthless degree.
They are a fraudulent business going that needs to be investigated ASAP.
They do not have a SU and no night life. They do their freshers in a local pub.. and even that didn't happen.

When it comes to lectures. You get lectures that do not no nothing about the course. They hardly turn up, mark your cw late. And sometimes even loose your exam paper!

They are trying to grow and attract more students but don't fall for the trap. Their course advisers r very good sellers and will talk you into it.

Its better to take a gap year and look around then quickly rushing here.

You can ask any students that have come to the uni they will say the same.

IF you hear anything positive about this uni.. they probably wrote it themselves. They are heavy on the marketing atm.

Take care and all the best.
Original post by hiren200
Hi this is to anyone thats thinking about GSOM London.

DO NOT APPLY!

They are not a proper university. The thing with affiliation with university of plymouth is a load of tosh. Your transcript has GSM written all over it! No one will employ you. I have someone a mate that graduated with a first in I.T and still cannot get a job - And i.t is a growing market.

Also they only care about signing you up quickly and they'll do anything to get you on so they can get money off you. Then they don't care if you pass or fail the course. they want you to fail so that they can get more money off you by repeating.
the tuition fee is £7000. And if it was a real uni student finance will pay the whole 7k but they don't. GSM only gets 6k from SLC and then 1k you have to pay out your pocket.
When you take an exam - you pay £20 per exam, retake it it costs £50 then third attempt costs £100... per module. A real legit uni does not charge you for retakes!! They are here to rinse you dry and give you a worthless degree.
They are a fraudulent business going that needs to be investigated ASAP.
They do not have a SU and no night life. They do their freshers in a local pub.. and even that didn't happen.

When it comes to lectures. You get lectures that do not no nothing about the course. They hardly turn up, mark your cw late. And sometimes even loose your exam paper!

They are trying to grow and attract more students but don't fall for the trap. Their course advisers r very good sellers and will talk you into it.

Its better to take a gap year and look around then quickly rushing here.

You can ask any students that have come to the uni they will say the same.

IF you hear anything positive about this uni.. they probably wrote it themselves. They are heavy on the marketing atm.

Take care and all the best.

actually most do
Reply 11
HI,
I am currently in the process of completing my degree, i Chose to do this at GSM due to the two year accelerated program they had in place which in fact is a great choice. This is also not available at many institutes and also student finance would only cover one academic year so therefore you would be liable for the top up fee however in the long run this does work out better and cheaper. so therefore student finance would pay the £6000 traditional degree year and then you would pay the remainder. exams are charged at £10 per exam whether that may be a retake or a first attempt,it is a private institute so this is correct. And in regards to the lecturers they all seem to work in relevant fields in which they teach in so therefore you do get first hand experience as well as them taking out their time to help with any queries you may have. I found all my lecturers very helpful throughout all of my semesters. I have also landed myself a full time job so employment is definitely possible once you graduate, overall i found this was the right choice for myself as i was focused on getting my degree and that is something i did achieve in two years. Hope this helps!
Worst uni ever please don't waste your money or your time, only go to greenwich if you attempt to do every aspect of the degree on your own with no help or guidance. If you fall behind don't expect any help from your lecturer's, there only there to give you guidelines, they don't care, they leave early and their not bothered about any of their students learning. hope this helps,

Samantha
Hey Jello1000, I am studying at this University and its a fantastic university. I have personally seen a degree awarded from this University and it has no mention of GSM on it and is fully awarded by Plymouth University.

I think employment comes down to the individual, it is no longer just about completing a degree and then your guaranteed a job. We are in a difficult market these days and therefore have to be more active then those around us to compete. At GSM there are opportunities to create societies, join societies, become student reps, take on temporary employment with them etc. University is a place for developing yourself and you have to take every opportunity that is available to you.
PS. there are students from the best universities in the UK that are unemployed, does it mean there degree is not credible?

I have a had a chance of being the General Secretary of GSM Finance society and this experience was enhanced with the vast amount of support provided by the University to help me grow as an individuals and as an organisation.

The issue you have brought up regarding the exam retakes costing £50 - this is 100% false and infact all exams (be it retakes or first attempts) cost £10 which was highlighted by emmakaur above.

As emmakaur highlighted above, In regards to paying out of your own pocket for student fees, If potential students want to complete a 3 year degree they will not have to pay any additional fees from themselves, however if you decide to go for a 2 year degree, as it is a new system in the UK you will have to pay a small fee every semester but overall through the 2 year degree you are able to save time and money and I'm on the verge of completing one myself. (I'm more then happy to break this down for you further if required)

Im studying Accounting & Finance and my Lecturers are great, they have years and years of experience of working within the sectors and are able to break bring in real life experiences in to their teaching which great. They are also readily available and even have there own offices that I am to visit for any queries that I have. In one deciding to do a degree in Accounting & Finance I hope you have the pleasure of working the following lecturers - Albert De Jonge, Roy Ringham, Esiah, Tim Price.

Studying at this University has honestly been a great journey for me and the self development I have seen in myself is amazing. I've recommended 5 of my friends & my very own sister to join to this place and have seen them grow and develop fantastically.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch and I will be more then happy to help.
Apologies Jelly1000 my post was not directed at you but it was more so to clear up the issues Hiren200 highlighted.
Original post by MohammedSheikh
Apologies Jelly1000 my post was not directed at you but it was more so to clear up the issues Hiren200 highlighted.

I can't see a post in here from you other than the one ive quoted just now :-s
Jelly1000 the post that was referring to earlier has been approved and can be seen above :smile:
Original post by MohammedSheikh
Jelly1000 the post that was referring to earlier has been approved and can be seen above :smile:

Ah I think you've got the wrong person, I was just pointing out that most universities charge for retakes.
Reply 18
I am currently studying Business Management (BSc) at the Greenwich campus and i have to say it is no more than average. In my opinion, poor.

I have been there since October and they are still yet to have a wifi connection that works, which means you cannot use your own laptop or phone to complete work or do research in groups at the campus. As well as this, the library computers either do not log you in because of an unknown error and if it does, your screen freezes consistently. The whole library is basically a no-go except to take out books.

The campus mainly consists of mature students and has no night life. It is very focussed on the work instead of any other side of student life, but if this is more up your street i would suggest it. The lecturers are great as individuals, they will give you great information and are generally quite relaxed and comfortable to work with so again, thats a plus. Although, if you miss a lecture and rely on the online notes on the 'Blackboard', which is a portal to access lecture materials, you will have had bad luck every time. They have recently updated it which should have now been improved, but after 2 months of attending a place of study i want better organisation, im paying £6000 a year...

Overall, i would say it is a very disorganised uni at the moment but if you are fine with home study and do not want the student life, e.g you are a mature student then go for it as lectures and tutorial are 2-3 hours a day and are very spread out. But for a new student coming out of college like myself where you have high expectations for uni i would say find another place. It is very much a business more than it is an institution with aims to help students.
Reply 19
I have an offer for Greenwich for Hospitality Management ... im so confused whether to take it after reading everyones reviews...

Quick Reply

Latest