The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hypercaine.
I need to apply to one uni whos asking for 300 or 320 points as a backup, does anyone have any suggestions?
I only want to put it on just incase I dont actually improve any of my grades (unlikely but my 6th form will want one to be there just in case so I gotta do it)

Also, what do people think would be better; an A* in economics or B in maths?

RHUL:

AAA with only Maths GCSE
AAB with AS Maths
ABB with full A-level
Reply 3401
Original post by Tateco
You see Nottingham as better and harder to get into than Bath? Interesting...

Well it's not based on any solid information. Just bits and pieces.
Damn sh*t would go down with an LSE admissions tutor :rofl:

It'd be GCSEs, GCSEs and GCSEs
Reply 3403
Original post by paperstars123

Original post by paperstars123
I'm doing the IB, not A levels, and my prediction is around 41 points (haven't got the official predictions yet). Thinking of applying to Nottingham, (maybe)York, Durham. What about you?

Damn! 41 is awesome though right?! Are you not applying to Oxbridge or LSE? I was thinking Nottingham, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and another for a good insurance, but can't find one that's still quite reputable with lower requirements, apart from somewhere like Royal Holloway, but I didn't really like the place when I went... And now I'm thinking about Cambridge instead although their requirements are higher than Oxford, it seems like applicants have a higher chance of getting in and that there are schemes for people with circumstances like mine. I just don't know anymore... It's all too much! aha
Reply 3404
Original post by zxh800
Well done one turning things around. If your UMS were high you could try Cambridge but I don't know who they'd take the additional year. Oxford wise, since they've said they don't mind the extra year, you can apply there if Cambridge don't accept the extra year. Having said this, I've heard Oxford are more strict on GCSEs and don't look at AS UMS at all so I'd think their admissions test would be quite important. As I'm applying to Camb I'm not sure how things work at Oxford but it would be tough getting called for an interview with your profile. But, definitely give it a shot. You have 5 places so you might as well go for it.

Now, moving on to LSE. I would definitely advise against applying for pure economics. You could try one of the joint courses? LSE are incredibly competitive, especially pure economics and your GCSEs and extra year at AS all but rule you out if I'm honest. Heck, I'm too scared to apply for pure (applying for Maths and Econ) with 9A* at GCSE, an A* at Maths A-level and As in 3 other AS. It's like the lottery really.

I'll have to enquire about the extra year with Cambridge, as they seem a bit more lenient with people in situations like mine, in terms of schemes they provide. How have things been with your application to Cambridge? and what kind of predicted grades are you expected to achieve in what subjects, if you don't mind me asking? Where do you think the chances of getting an interview would be higher also out of Oxbridge?
Was hoping you weren't gonna say that about LSE! haha I need to face the reality though! Where else are you thinking about applying? Do you have an insurance in mind yet? Sorry about the 20 questions but I appreciate all of your help massively!
Reply 3405
Original post by nightmare91
Hey :smile:
I'm also an E&M applicant hence I can tell you a bit about your chances for E&M at Oxford. You're predictions and AS grades are definetely good enough and you will stand a reasonable chance. But even though Oxford says you should show a clear upward progression from GCSEs in order to stand a chance, it will be quite difficult with those sort of grades. E&M is one of the most competitive courses out of all. The acceptance rate is only 7.8% and the tutors at Oxford told me that they take the GCSEs, TSA and the A2 predictions very seriously (especially GCSE) to decide who gets interviewed and who doesn't (although it might vary from college to college). You seem like a strong candidate and I am sure that an interview would help but the problem is that they might not even invite you due to your GCSEs. You have to consider that all other candidates that get invited for interviews usually have like 7A* or more. It'll be very difficult for you to stand out and get an interview. I don't want you to be put off to apply but maybe you should ask Cambridge what they think about your GCSEs and your general chances. If you have high UMS scores you'll certainly stand a chance. In addition you will get an interview for sure since Cambridge interviews 90% of all applicants whereas Oxford only 30%. I wish you good luck with whatever decision you make :smile:

Really?! Especially GCSE's? They kind of undermined the whole topic in the email they sent me, saying there's no absolute requirements at GCSE, but it may put you at a little disadvantage against other candidates unless the reasons behind bad results were explained...
Thanks man, I wish you luck also! Out of curiosity, as with everyone I'm asking, what subjects are you currently doing and what do you expect to achieve?
I'm just worried it's a little late to consider Cambridge instead of Oxford now too! I'll drop them an email and see what they say about the third year, thanks for all your help!
Reply 3406
Original post by Investment Banker

Yes you have shown some great improvements but DONT risk 2 choices by applying to LSE and UCL because they will be straight rejections . However maybe Oxbridge coz they do interviews so you may have a chance to sell yourself ..

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about UCL anyway, as they seem to reject left, right and centre for no good reason! But I guess you're right, really wanna go to bloody London as well though! Sorry for posting everyones replies separately too, new to this student room posting. Where are you applying too?

Sorry, just read that you're at UCL doing it! How is there course their anyhow?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aboosh
Really?! Especially GCSE's? They kind of undermined the whole topic in the email they sent me, saying there's no absolute requirements at GCSE, but it may put you at a little disadvantage against other candidates unless the reasons behind bad results were explained...
Thanks man, I wish you luck also! Out of curiosity, as with everyone I'm asking, what subjects are you currently doing and what do you expect to achieve?
I'm just worried it's a little late to consider Cambridge instead of Oxford now too! I'll drop them an email and see what they say about the third year, thanks for all your help!

Yea they said since E&M is totally oversubscribed they put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs. But it might vary from college to college. I only talked to Merton tutors :smile:

Well I am German and therefore I'm study towards the German Abitur. But I'm also taking A Level Maths and I am predicted A* in it.

Don't be afraid considering Cambridge now. But if you really prefer Oxford, then go for Oxford. You shouldn't just choose Cambridge because you have greater chances of getting accepted. You have to like it as well. In case you really don't care, go for Cambridge (unless they send you an email saying they don't like your GCSEs or the third year.)
Reply 3408
Original post by Aboosh
I'll have to enquire about the extra year with Cambridge, as they seem a bit more lenient with people in situations like mine, in terms of schemes they provide. How have things been with your application to Cambridge? and what kind of predicted grades are you expected to achieve in what subjects, if you don't mind me asking? Where do you think the chances of getting an interview would be higher also out of Oxbridge?
Was hoping you weren't gonna say that about LSE! haha I need to face the reality though! Where else are you thinking about applying? Do you have an insurance in mind yet? Sorry about the 20 questions but I appreciate all of your help massively!

I'm submitting my PS on friday in time for my school's Oxbridge deadline. So, I'm looking forward to getting that done. I've got my A* in Maths and A*A*A predictions in my other 3 subjects (Further Maths, Economics and History). I was slightly disappointed with the A prediction in History given that I averaged 88 in my AS modules but the history departments policy is to predict anyone with 95+ at AS the A* or if you're really close like 93. So yes, that's a bummer given how easily some people get A* predictions.

As for where the chances of getting an interview would be higher, i'd say Cambridge easily. They interview lots of people compared to Oxford as someone mentioned earlier. As for an insurance, i don't have anything in mind really. Since I've already got an A* i'd have to step down to AAB tier unis to really have an insurance as AAA and A*AA unis would really require me to only get 2 more As or AAB/AAE at best (some unis want an E in FM lol).
Original post by Tateco
1000 offers? :eek4:

Applicant:Place ratios are misleading, as many people (this thread is a testament to this fact) apply to four or five very competitive courses. It's easy to imagine why universities give out far more offers than there are places.
Reply 3410
Original post by Acerbic
Applicant:Place ratios are misleading, as many people (this thread is a testament to this fact) apply to four or five very competitive courses. It's easy to imagine why universities give out far more offers than there are places.

I suppose, but it still seems like a lot!
Original post by Tateco
I suppose, but it still seems like a lot!

It's encouraging, though!
Original post by Aboosh
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about UCL anyway, as they seem to reject left, right and centre for no good reason! But I guess you're right, really wanna go to bloody London as well though! Sorry for posting everyones replies separately too, new to this student room posting. Where are you applying too?

Sorry, just read that you're at UCL doing it! How is there course their anyhow?

Ye UCL is awesome , so far so good . If you want IB , its looking all promising considering there are 3 big Investment Banks all coming solely for first years this week on freshers week , CS , DB and BC !! We havent warmed up yet , but these guys are all over us already , haha , maybe thats the beauty of being at UCL and london ofcourse . If you check the DB web , they have 3 visits to UCL between now and Oct , crazy stuff . Long may it continue ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3413
Ye UCL is awesome , so far so good . If you want IB , its looking all promising considering there are 3 big Investment Banks all coming solely for first years this week on freshers week , CS , DB and BC !! We havent warmed up yet , but these guys are all over us already , haha , maybe thats the beauty of being at UCL and london ofcourse . If you check the DB web , they have 3 visits to UCL between now and Oct , crazy stuff .

Congrats! How were your grades/UMS like by the way? (GCSE and AS+A2)?
Original post by zxh800
Congrats! How were your grades/UMS like by the way? (GCSE and AS+A2)?

10A*s GCSE and 5A*s A level ....i aint a geek though :biggrin:
Original post by zxh800
I'm submitting my PS on friday in time for my school's Oxbridge deadline. So, I'm looking forward to getting that done. I've got my A* in Maths and A*A*A predictions in my other 3 subjects (Further Maths, Economics and History). I was slightly disappointed with the A prediction in History given that I averaged 88 in my AS modules but the history departments policy is to predict anyone with 95+ at AS the A* or if you're really close like 93. So yes, that's a bummer given how easily some people get A* predictions.

As for where the chances of getting an interview would be higher, i'd say Cambridge easily. They interview lots of people compared to Oxford as someone mentioned earlier. As for an insurance, i don't have anything in mind really. Since I've already got an A* i'd have to step down to AAB tier unis to really have an insurance as AAA and A*AA unis would really require me to only get 2 more As or AAB/AAE at best (some unis want an E in FM lol).

Well look at this high flyer! :cool:
Predicting ppl an A* on the condition that they got 95% is ridiculous. Fair would be predicting them 90%. 87 would be pushing it. Yes, you are in a position to be ambitious and aim high- so I would think of AAA+ unless there is a course that u really really like with a lower entry requirment.
Reply 3416
10A*s GCSE and 5A*s A level ....i aint a geek though :biggrin:

I don't think you are lol. But, phwoar :eek:
Reply 3417
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Well look at this high flyer! :cool:
Predicting ppl an A* on the condition that they got 95% is ridiculous. Fair would be predicting them 90%. 87 would be pushing it. Yes, you are in a position to be ambitious and aim high- so I would think of AAA+ unless there is a course that u really really like with a lower entry requirment.

Groat and Tateco are the real high flyers!
Reply 3418
Original post by zxh800

(GCSEs) :getmecoat:
Original post by zxh800

No idea what their grades are, but that still comes to no surprise lol!

Latest

Trending

Trending