The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skotch
Noooo I wish I'd known about Rise Against coming to Bris earlier! It's sold out. Would have loved to have come.

Yeh I need to change my profile somehow so it's a bit more private :/

Oh right, I'm based in Redland, whereabouts are you living?

I have four tickets, so if someone pulls out I'll let you know but atm they are all counted for. Lol, yeah that might be an idea, I don't think mine said anything about me!

I'm on placement at the BRI, but living in Ashley Down/bishopton :smile:
Original post by EEngWillow
I hate having a placement sometimes... 11pm now genuinely feels like I've stayed up late! (More annoyingly, my body clock won't let me sleep past 7am at the weekend...)

Facebook's always been very stalker-ish. Now it just stalks in real-time!

That's the scary thing about it now :afraid:

Hey all, as some of you may know, I had a History Controlled Assessment, and I'd really love to study it in Uni. Please may I have some prayers to ask God to have helped me and others do well?
(edited 12 years ago)

I really enjoyed that :smile:

Original post by mevidek

Hey all, as some of you may know, I had a History Controlled Assessment, and I'd really love to study it in Uni. Please may I have some prayers to ask God to have made me and others do well?

Another prayer said for you :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I really enjoyed that :smile:

Another prayer said for you :yes:

Thankies :smile:
Original post by mevidek

Hey all, as some of you may know, I had a History Controlled Assessment, and I'd really love to study it in Uni. Please may I have some prayers to ask God to have made me and others do well?

Prayer said. But you've got to remember even if you don't do well, it's all in God's plan, maybe He doesn't see you studying history. My first choice uni wasn't Glasgow and I was literally in tears when I found out I hadn't made it into Newcastle, but God put me here for a reason :yep:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Prayer said. But you've got to remember even if you don't do well, it's all in God's plan, maybe He doesn't see you studying history. My first choice uni wasn't Glasgow and I was literally in tears when I found out I hadn't made it into Newcastle, but God put me here for a reason :yep:

I don't believe that God has a definite plan, but rather a number of vague paths that we will follow depending on what we choose. It's my dream to study history in Uni, and God wants everybody to be happy so I'm hoping and praying that I'll achieve my dreams, as everybody else achieving their dreams :smile:

I know, but in Anglo Saxon not only does the end of the word change, but the bit before the word does too... :facepalm: and then adjectives change depending on whether their strong or weak, and pronunciation changes kinda randomly

Ooo woah that sounds really interesting :yep:

Teehee. And my class thought reading Chaucer was bad. :P
It is really interesting (I've got an electronic copy of the textbook already courtesy of the lecturer - establishing contact early because I'm hoping to do my third year project with him when I return!), but difficult! The nice kind of difficult though, not impossible but enough of a challenge that it's satisfying when it makes sense :smile:

Original post by Facticity
No! I detested latin. My grammar school was a language college and I had to do a myriad of languages including latin and greek. I can admit I took a liking to greek as it was cool but I didn't like latin :no: I'm was so happy when I finished it. Though I do enjoy learning languages - only if it is something I want to do though, if I'm forced to do a language I end up resenting it :sigh:

Each to their own. I think the fact that ours was the only school I knew of at the time that did it, and that I seemed to be quite good at it, helped. Also seeing just how many of the words in our language have Latin roots...
Teehee. And my class thought reading Chaucer was bad. :P
It is really interesting (I've got an electronic copy of the textbook already courtesy of the lecturer - establishing contact early because I'm hoping to do my third year project with him when I return!), but difficult! The nice kind of difficult though, not impossible but enough of a challenge that it's satisfying when it makes sense :smile:

Each to their own. I think the fact that ours was the only school I knew of at the time that did it, and that I seemed to be quite good at it, helped. Also seeing just how many of the words in our language have Latin roots...

96 of our 100 most commonly used words come from Anglo Saxon...totally kicks Latin's arse (but then again, English is not derived from Latin as many believe it to be!)

Good plan on contacting him early!
96 of our 100 most commonly used words come from Anglo Saxon...totally kicks Latin's arse (but then again, English is not derived from Latin as many believe it to be!)

Oh?

Yeah I knew our roots weren't strictly Latin, but it was the first time in my education that my brain went "Hang on a minute...'Ululation'? I wonder if that's linked to the Latin "ululare" (to howl)

Before then I'd just taken other languages as completely different, afterwards I came to realise that some languages have a lot more in common!

Yeah. Considering the academic year hadn't even started yet, I'm technically over a year early in organising my project. It's pretty awesome though, we're hopefully going to be investigating some new Digital Steganography techniques :smile:
Original post by JB Johnstone
Oh?

Indeed! While both languages have proto-indo-european roots, English is a germanic not latinate language. Although in 18th century a lot of words were "made more latiny" because we wanted to stress how great an amazing England was...

Yeah I knew our roots weren't strictly Latin, but it was the first time in my education that my brain went "Hang on a minute...'Ululation'? I wonder if that's linked to the Latin "ululare" (to howl)

Before then I'd just taken other languages as completely different, afterwards I came to realise that some languages have a lot more in common!

Yeah. Considering the academic year hadn't even started yet, I'm technically over a year early in organising my project. It's pretty awesome though, we're hopefully going to be investigating some new Digital Steganography techniques :smile:

Indeed, languages are awesome!

OOOO sounds cool :yep:

I'm looking quite forward to it! I don't know if my enthusiasm is seeping across the internet or not :tongue:
It's also nice because it's quite different to what most of my coursemates will be doing as well.
Indeed! While both languages have proto-indo-european roots, English is a germanic not latinate language. Although in 18th century a lot of words were "made more latiny" because we wanted to stress how great an amazing England was...

Indeed, languages are awesome!

That's really cool... I wonder why the public view is the way it is then?
I guess mine was clouded from all of my studies of theology and philosophy - pretty much every word here is from latin!
I'm looking quite forward to it! I don't know if my enthusiasm is seeping across the internet or not :tongue:
It's also nice because it's quite different to what most of my coursemates will be doing as well.

Looking forward is a good sign :yep:
Looking forward is a good sign :yep:

Yeah, definitely.

Wow, where did the afternoon go?! Almost home time! :smile:
...Actually, all my bosses and project managers are out, I could probably just go now :cool:
Yeah, definitely.

Wow, where did the afternoon go?! Almost home time! :smile:
...Actually, all my bosses and project managers are out, I could probably just go now :cool:

Ha ha almost time to meet friends for coffee! Had insanely productive day today:

-Been to doctors
-Had mouse man round
-Read some course stuff
-Transferred money I've been meaning to transfer for ages
-Listed an item on ebay
-Sold an item on ebay
-Updated phone account

And it's only 4pm!
I had an insanely unproductive day:

-Woke/got up at about 1ish...
-Done very little since

I need to sort myself out!
Sounds like a good day (and my normal days :rofl:)

Latest

Trending

Trending