The Student Room Group

Please help me decide

International applicant
3.90/4.00 GPA (93%)
disgraceful UKCAT (610)
3 years research experience
3 publications
several scholarships, etc

So, I really want to apply to Liverpool Birmingham since they don't look at UKCAT

I am looking for suggestions for the last two. Which schools do you think are the most UKCAT lenient, while having the most places for international applicants?

My research shows that Keele, Dundee and BSMS are pretty decent options however I would like more opinion. As an international applicant my chances are already super low of even an interview so I need to make sure I apply to schools where I have the maximum potential

Haven't taken the BMAT so all those schools are out of the question.

Also, I will be applying to the 5 year program because graduate programs usually only take 1-2 internationals.

Thanks in advance!
Bristol don't use the UKCAT. Your UKCAT isn't disgraceful when it says on the printout 600 is average.
Original post by .eXe
International applicant
3.90/4.00 GPA (93%)
disgraceful UKCAT (610)
3 years research experience
3 publications
several scholarships, etc

So, I really want to apply to Liverpool Birmingham since they don't look at UKCAT

I am looking for suggestions for the last two. Which schools do you think are the most UKCAT lenient, while having the most places for international applicants?

My research shows that Keele, Dundee and BSMS are pretty decent options however I would like more opinion. As an international applicant my chances are already super low of even an interview so I need to make sure I apply to schools where I have the maximum potential

Haven't taken the BMAT so all those schools are out of the question.

Also, I will be applying to the 5 year program because graduate programs usually only take 1-2 internationals.

Thanks in advance!

Aberdeen are relatively lenient when it comes to UKCAT, your average score is worth 8% of your final selection score compared to 25% for grades, 22% for reference + personal statement and 45% for interview performance

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/leaflets/selection/

There will be people applying with better UKCATs than yours but there are students here with far worse than 610.
I would say Aberdeen rather than Dundee. Dundee say they don't care much about the UKCAT but I think that's partly why they rejected me last year.
Reply 4
Original post by atomos
I would say Aberdeen rather than Dundee. Dundee say they don't care much about the UKCAT but I think that's partly why they rejected me last year.

Thanks mate, what was your score if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by .eXe
Thanks mate, what was your score if you don't mind me asking.

last year it was 632.5
Original post by Sixthelement
Bristol don't use the UKCAT. Your UKCAT isn't disgraceful when it says on the printout 600 is average.

The average for each subsection and stuff was 600 the first time they ran the UKCAT.
Since then it's increased year on year.
This year It should be around the 640's.
Original post by joemullally
The average for each subsection and stuff was 600 the first time they ran the UKCAT.
Since then it's increased year on year.
This year It should be around the 640's.

How do you know that? Wouldn't they update the letter? Or at least say, "In 200X the average was 600".
How do you know that? Wouldn't they update the letter? Or at least say, "In 200X the average was 600".

600 is certainly not the average, by any means, regardless of what they say.

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
600 is certainly not the average, by any means, regardless of what they say.

They post it out every year on their little news thing.
You can find the information using the search function. However the phrase UKCAT average is used often on here so you may be searching a while.

Last year it was around 632.5 ish for the average.

Pearson VUE post it either on their twitter or the news thing every year.
Reply 10
Hmm its true that they publicize 600 to be an average score but realistically I guess 620-640 is probably the actual average. Of course this depends on the year however, it seems applicants are getting stronger every year so it's understandable for the average to increase.

I think most schools however, still consider 600 to be the average score. honestly speaking I don't see much difference between 600 and 640 because both are likely to be banded in the same category by schools that rank based on the UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending