The Student Room Group

A Level choices help :)

Poll

Which subjects for A levels?

Hey,

I've got to choose my a levels soon and I'm not sure what to take to get me into a top university. I have no idea about what career I want to do yet.

My definites are: Maths, Further Maths & Physics.

My maybes are: Economics, Philosophy, German, History and Gov & Politics.

I've heard you need an essay based subject and was wondering if Gov & Politics is? I live in Somerset and all the schools around here are pretty bad except for the private schools and I want to have 5 courses (Will probably drop one at AS as I've heard the courses I'm doing are hard work) that will get me into a good university.

Probably either German or History. I think they're considered the most acedemic and impressive to universities. They would be the ones I would pick in your position.
Reply 2
Original post by Lauraa96
Hey,

I've got to choose my a levels soon and I'm not sure what to take to get me into a top university. I have no idea about what career I want to do yet.

My definites are: Maths, Further Maths & Physics.

My maybes are: Economics, Philosophy, German, History and Gov & Politics.

I've heard you need an essay based subject and was wondering if Gov & Politics is? I live in Somerset and all the schools around here are pretty bad except for the private schools and I want to have 5 courses (Will probably drop one at AS as I've heard the courses I'm doing are hard work) that will get me into a good university.

There's no real value in taking 5, even at AS level; universities only ask for 3 completed A-Level. What you said about unis wanting an 'essay based subject' isn't very true, and you certainly wouldn't need one if you were applying for, say, Maths. I feel as if I can't give you much advice as you don't know what course to do yet, but what I would say is only pick 4, and drop one after your first year.

(I did Physics, Maths, History and Geography at AS, AAAA)
I second alphabet - 4 AS levels is enough. If you want you should be able to continue all 4 to A2. Do you know what course you want to study at university? It might help you decide.
Reply 4
Do you know if any of the subjects I'm considering are 'soft'? I'm not sure if Economics, Philosophy and Gov & politics are?
Reply 5
I have no idea what I'm going to do at University - I'm just trying to open up as many doors as I can. I want to do something to do with maths and I chose physics as it could open up engineering if I wanted to go that way..
Do you know if any of the subjects I'm considering are 'soft'? I'm not sure if Economics, Philosophy and Gov & politics are?

Economics isn't a 'soft' subjects, not sure about Philosophy or Governments & Politics though.

I would pick from German, History or Economics, as I would say they are the most respected out of your choices. But above all, go for the subject you feel you will do best in and most likely to get the highest result it :smile:
Reply 7
Hey i'm doing economics, maths, physics and further maths... so basically the same as you :biggrin:.

Economics is a well respected subject and is a word base subject with lots of diagrams.
Reply 8
On the poll History seems like the best idea but I didn't do it for GCSE so will I find it difficult?
i'm having to choose to hand in my application in december... so confused!
i know i'm definately going to take: maths, chem, economics
then i wanted to take physics but apparently LSE wants applicants to have further maths a-level so i want to do further maths. but in my school if you take f.maths you are able to choose a fifth choice which in my case would be physics. but i'm pretty sure that with 5 a-levels i will have NO time for anything outside of school work! and i kind of need to do extracurricular things to include in my ps.

Not enjoying life much at the moment if i'm honest.
History sounds like a great option, plus it encompasses philosophy, politics and economics.
On the poll History seems like the best idea but I didn't do it for GCSE so will I find it difficult?

I don't think you will. Subjects like Maths and the sciences tend to build on what you already know, whereas subjects like History just choose different topics depending what's on your course. For example, I did GCSE History and did stuff on the Troubles in Ireland and American West- if I'd have chosen it for A Level, my GCSE knowledge would not have given me much of an advantage seeing as the AS course was on something completely different.
Only take German if you're good at it already though. I'd imagine A2 level languages would be very tricky if you weren't already good at it.

Quick Reply

Latest