The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChopinNocturne
No I don't know them, I'm a fresher too :smile: and yeah I thought that, what subject was she?

PPE, apparently. I think they were lacking on the science part overall, which brought them down considerably.
Original post by dbmag9
I preordered mine (and got treated to photos of my family back home wearing my gown and cap), mainly so I can swan around the house in subfusc the next few days. But the impression I've got is it takes no time at all to pop into one of the shops and get the stuff; they're used to the sudden influx of freshers. How come you might need it so early?

Well, I just got (or rather, only just realised I got because of the confusing weblearn site :P) my official freshers timetable, and the first set of meetings with the Rector, for which you need the gown, is at 1:30 on Monday. But there's no guarantee I'll be in that set, since she's meeting people all week and they're pre-allocated, so for all I know I might not need it until next Friday! I think I'll pop into Walters, which is right outside my college, in Monday's lunch break, since that's an hour long and won't take an hour to get, I hope! The reason I left it till later is because I wanted to have the opinion of the shop guy - since I'll be wearing this item for years, I want to get the right length, size, whatever.

To be honest I just might go to Oxford again tomorrow. Not decided yet! Can't do any harm, and anyway, I have some Uni books left to read and the Cafe Neros in Blackwells is one of my favourite reading spots!

Original post by flywithemma
I'm getting mine when I go to Oxford, which is on Sunday, a day before I have to be at my college. This is mainly because my mum doesn't trust herself to correctly measure me for my gown/mortarboard, after an unfortunate incident with some incorrectly measured choir robes. :redface:

This was my plan but none of the Oxford academic dress shops are open on a Sunday - at least not the ones recommended by the University and past students, and I don't think there are any others... D:
Original post by barefootfiona

This was my plan but none of the Oxford academic dress shops are open on a Sunday - at least not the ones recommended by the University and past students, and I don't think there are any others... D:

Ah. I was kind of expecting that, so I'll have to go with my Plan B which was getting them on the Monday morning.
Anyone getting student insurance? Just had a bunch of Uni stuff through the post including a leaflet about endsleigh insurance...
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Anyone getting student insurance? Just had a bunch of Uni stuff through the post including a leaflet about endsleigh insurance...

from what a lot of my friends have said (this is what i do too) it's often much cheaper to add your uni stuff on to your parents' home insurance than to go with a separate company.
Anyone else still not heard about the OOB?
Reply 3966
Original post by SamF1992

I haven't seen anything about it on the SF website. I'm starting to wonder if it's connected to whether you take out the maintenance loan, since I'm only getting the grant (income has still been assessed though, which I thought was the important thing). But I guess it'll sort itself out eventually.
Original post by dbmag9
I haven't seen anything about it on the SF website. I'm starting to wonder if it's connected to whether you take out the maintenance loan, since I'm only getting the grant (income has still been assessed though, which I thought was the important thing). But I guess it'll sort itself out eventually.

I'll be in receipt of both of those, getting quite unnerved about it because I could really do with that £825 start up, I'm already in my overdraft, getting stuff for uni has killed my bank account :frown:

I've sent them an e-mail asking so hopefully something is sorted soon.
Reply 3968

I read somewhere that the College allows you to hire a gown, should you be unable to buy one prior to signing the College Register and meeting the Rector. Don't quote me on that, though!

Indeed, made me many times more excited than I already was.

Tell me about it.

Original post by deFossard
It's almost funny how high calibre it is, unfair to the rest of the country's universities! Already excited for their 1920s New York themed ball, too. I still haven't even joined!

I couldn't have put it better myself.

(Also, I need to get practicing my utterly brilliant Italian-American accent... for brilliant, read: dire.)

Has anyone gone ahead and joined the Union online yet?
Reply 3969

i received a letter today from student finance so youll probably hear of it soon!
Original post by flywithemma
Ah. I was kind of expecting that, so I'll have to go with my Plan B which was getting them on the Monday morning.

Good luck! I think I'm going to do this too, but the freshers timetable is SO restrictive! I literally only have one free hour on the Monday, and that is my lunchbreak :biggrin: From 8 until 12:30 it's obligatory talks, then it's lunch, and from 13:30, the gown may be needed! But I think I can fit it in.

Original post by qwertyuiop1993

I'm not sure... at first I thought, "yes". But then I realised it's quite a lot of money to pay every month, and also that Oxford colleges are uniquely even more secure than other University because a thief would have to get into the college, then into your building, then into your room. So really, unless you're someone who is very careless (which I am going to assume you aren't), I'm not convinced it's a necessary expense this year. Just my personal take on it.
Reply 3971

What Freshers' events have you lot got with your college families? Apparently at Magdalen we eat a LOT of curry together.

Oh, I looked at the Michaelmas events for the Oxford Union recently. Wow, must join immediately.

Bad luck, you almost caught up in the end (assuming you're at St Anne's). Moody fought on valiantly! I heard from a friend there that he's a lovely chap.

hey im new to tsr!!! and a fresher in oxford!! and yes the speakers in oxford union are very interesting!! i mean who can beat katie price.lol though it is quite expensive to join! sure it will be worth it though :smile:
Good luck! I think I'm going to do this too, but the freshers timetable is SO restrictive! I literally only have one free hour on the Monday, and that is my lunchbreak :biggrin: From 8 until 12:30 it's obligatory talks, then it's lunch, and from 13:30, the gown may be needed! But I think I can fit it in.

Ah okay, I don't actually have to be at Keble until the Monday (sometime between 10 and 5, I think), so I've got as much of the day as it takes for me to get my stuff...also means my parents will still be hanging around, so they can come with me and make sure I get the right size/stuff. :colondollar:

Good luck! :tongue:

EDIT: I just got my first battels bill! :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3973
Original post by dbmag9

I'll be in receipt of both of those, getting quite unnerved about it because I could really do with that £825 start up, I'm already in my overdraft, getting stuff for uni has killed my bank account :frown:

What do your surnames begin with? I think they *may* be doing them alphabetically, I know someone who's surname begins with Z who didn't hear 'til early October.
I've contacted them asking about it (I haven't had anything either) and was told that the second batch would be sent this week.

In any case, we won't get anything until midway through first term, not even the start-up.
Original post by Mann18
What do your surnames begin with? I think they *may* be doing them alphabetically, I know someone who's surname begins with Z who didn't hear 'til early October.
I've contacted them asking about it (I haven't had anything either) and was told that the second batch would be sent this week.

In any case, we won't get anything until midway through first term, not even the start-up.

I still haven't heard and my last name begins with B. Kinda ruins it!
Possibly by college or department? Not sure why they would, but you know.

When you get your letter won't affect when you get your start-up.
Despite being called a "start up", we don't get it until pretty much four weeks into term (mine being 1/11, but that may vary slightly).

It's kind of annoying until you realise that it's over eight hundred pounds of free money and even if they decided to wait until Christmas to hand it over, we should still be infinitely grateful!!

(On a side note, has anybody applied for an NUS Extra card yet, or is it generally better to wait until we actually move in?)
Reply 3976
Got my Freshers' Guide today :sexface:
So much I want to do. I bet I won't actually do any of them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thurin

Was that the thing published by the Student Union? That arrived for me, too. Quite nice to flick through, lots of societies on my list to join, now.
Reply 3978
Original post by Babs12123
I still haven't heard and my last name begins with B. Kinda ruins it!
Possibly by college or department? Not sure why they would, but you know.

Ah, well, there it is then! :p:

Have you checked student finance to see if they've updated your correspondence section?

Anyone who has had this occur, what title did it have? Just: "Notification of Entitlement?"
Reply 3979
Original post by thurin

Was that the thing published by the Student Union? That arrived for me, too. Quite nice to flick through, lots of societies on my list to join, now.

Yeah, was good to waste some time on! Anyone contemplating buying the insurance offer in there?

Other than college sports, I'm not really thinking about any of them, I'm wary of signing up to loads of things, then finding I don't have the time to do them all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending