The Student Room Group

Joint degrees 2012! :P

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somebodytoldmexo
Aaah, awesome! Have you visited Leeds? I won't be until if they give me an offer but I really liked the look of it from the prospectus :smile:

Oh Leeds was my favourite by FAR. I loved it :biggrin: just everything you can want in a uni :biggrin: and don't get me started on the gym :P
Original post by Georgiana1605
Oh Leeds was my favourite by FAR. I loved it :biggrin: just everything you can want in a uni :biggrin: and don't get me started on the gym :P

Aw that's good news! Need an A in French though I believe, I'm predicted an A but I got a B at AS so am retaking, we'll see! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by SophiaKeuning
English Literature and History. :biggrin:

I was thinking earlier, does doing a joint give you an advantage or not? I mean, it must be harder to persuade two admission officers from two different subjects, rather than just the standard one...

In the degree you cover both subjects but in much less depth. That's why some people would much rather do singles because you cover one subject in a great deal of depth.

In terms of convincing the admission officers, you have to be clever with your personal statement and sort of intertwine the two subjects. Kind of hard if you're doing two totally unrelated subjects but English Lit and History are closely related in terms of analysis, evaluation, essay writing, context etc so I think you'll be fine :smile: if it comes down to it, just do separate sections on both subjects if you're finding it really hard.
Reply 23
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
I guess it's an unusual combination in the sense that not a lot of uni's offer it, but (human) geography and economics overlap in so many areas. In fact, there's even a field called economic geography.

English and Psychology - now that's an unusual combination! Good luck with your application :smile:

Yeahh I suppose I've always associated economics with numbers and geography with rivers and mountains :colondollar: but if they're related in many ways, that's always beneficial :smile:

Yeah it is - the personal statement, boy is that tricky :eek: but fingers crossed it'll be okay! Thanks, you too! :biggrin:
History & politicsss :smile:

Birmingham, warwick & dont know about the rest, yet!
Reply 25
Original post by chocoholic.
History & politicsss :smile:

Birmingham, warwick & dont know about the rest, yet!

I'd love to go to Warwick (doing the same subject)... not even worth applying though :frown: Good Luck
Mines a pretty equal split tbh - slight more labs on the forensics side though :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by somebodytoldmexo
Yes! French and Politics, applying to Lancaster, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Sussex :smile:

omg another person doing french and pol! its a miracle! :biggrin:
for me - leeds, warwick, exeter, l'boro and perhaps b'ham :smile:

missed open days for warwick and bham so unsure :s-smilie:

You two are cool kids :colone:

Now I'm going to leave this thread because I will have graduated by 2012 :emo:
Reply 28
I want to do law and psychology. But I dont know what unis I can apply to because of my horrible horrible AS results 2E's in Maths and Chemistry and 2C's in Biology and Psychology :frown:

Im retaking to get all A's - im even retaking chem unit 2 eventhough ive dropped it AQA Chem is sooooooo hard i wished i neva picked it

im so confused wid my life atm
Reply 29
Original post by rajabilal
my maths teacher did maths and dance for her degree. which i thought was odd

When my dad was looking at unis, he found somewhere that did Computing and Serbo-Croat.
Reply 30
Im just going into my second year of a joint degree. When you guys start ill be in my third :frown:
Original post by Morganb804
I'd love to go to Warwick (doing the same subject)... not even worth applying though :frown: Good Luck

Awww... Why dont u persuade your teachers to give u higher predictions?
Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by chocoholic.
Awww... Why dont u persuade your teachers to give u higher predictions?
Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Well I'm in a rather awkward position... I've already got 3 A-Levels in Sociology, History and English Language (ABB respectively) but as you'd be aware you need an A in History... so I'm doing another year at 6th Form to acquire an additional A-Level (English Literature) plus an AS (Govt. & Politics) and retakes to get the A in History. Hopefully I will be predicted A's in these new subjects (I've certainly been putting the work in to warrant such a prediction)

With Warwick being able to be incredibly selective I'd rather use my choices on more reachable Uni... though saying that I do still have a 'in my dreams' option... that option being Nottingham (Don't know why but I really love the sound of Notts)
My other 4 choices are York, Lancaster, Southampton and Leicester.
Original post by Morganb804
Well I'm in a rather awkward position... I've already got 3 A-Levels in Sociology, History and English Language (ABB respectively) but as you'd be aware you need an A in History... so I'm doing another year at 6th Form to acquire an additional A-Level (English Literature) plus an AS (Govt. & Politics) and retakes to get the A in History. Hopefully I will be predicted A's in these new subjects (I've certainly been putting the work in to warrant such a prediction)

With Warwick being able to be incredibly selective I'd rather use my choices on more reachable Uni... though saying that I do still have a 'in my dreams' option... that option being Nottingham (Don't know why but I really love the sound of Notts)
My other 4 choices are York, Lancaster, Southampton and Leicester.

Hmmm damn Warwicks selectiveness!
All i've got atm is birmingham & warwick, my hearts set on birmingham for some reason, having said that i have not visited warwick uni yet.
Reply 34
omg another person doing french and pol! its a miracle! :biggrin:
for me - leeds, warwick, exeter, l'boro and perhaps b'ham :smile:

missed open days for warwick and bham so unsure :s-smilie:

And a third for French/Politics :smile:

Definately applying for Leeds, possibly Nottingham, maybe Glasgow, maybe Cardiff, maybe Sheffield. I'm quite hazy on my less firm choices
Original post by jamie_jca
And a third for French/Politics :smile:

Definately applying for Leeds, possibly Nottingham, maybe Glasgow, maybe Cardiff, maybe Sheffield. I'm quite hazy on my less firm choices

I'm finding it so hard to find a decent middle-grade choice for this combo :frown: Sheffield was gunna be it, then I visited and hated it D:

Anybody looked at Lancaster for French and Pol?
Politics and Sociology! :biggrin:
I don't know anyone else who is... :colondollar:
Reply 37
french and linguistics :biggrin:

hopefully...:redface:

my friend is studying chemistry and women's studies...
:hi: I'm going into my second year of Maths and Chemistry within Natural Sciences :smile:
Don't forget the option of doing a course like Natural Sciences or Combined Honours in Arts/Social Sciences where you can combine subjects too :smile:
Reply 39
I'm finding it so hard to find a decent middle-grade choice for this combo :frown: Sheffield was gunna be it, then I visited and hated it D:

Anybody looked at Lancaster for French and Pol?

Didn't know Lancaster did the joint course. Their Politics isn't exactly high up on the league tables though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending