The Student Room Group

Engineering, Economics, Law or History

Heyup,

Okay, I understand that these subjects are completely different but I just cannot decide on what I want to do with the REST OF MY LIFE.

Done so much research on all of them but still can't decide.

I think I'd really enjoy Mechanical Engineering if I could do it but I'm worried the workload would be too much. I enjoy History but just can't imagine it being the best degree to get for so much debt (no offence Historians), I can imagine law being quite enjoyable and respectable but I'm worried it would be too competitive when I'm out of the degree, and Economics isn't my favourite subject but I do well in it and can imagine the career prospects are pretty good.

So, if anyone could give me any advice at all;

Mechanical Engineering, BSc Economics, LLB Law, or History?
Reply 1
You should read Psychology like all the other people who haven't got a clue.
Reply 2
Mechanical Engineering
Not law as there are very few jobs out there (unless you can get into oxbridge).
Reply 4
Mech eng if you enjoy it is the most vocational course and uni matters less as they are accredited. Having done that won't preclude you from going into jobs you can do with the other degrees economist and lawyer aside - although you can do one year top ups afterwards if this is the direction you feel you want to pursue.

Fact is if you ain't prepared to work hard dont bother with any of them!
Reply 5
Which A/AS Levels do you take firstly?
Not Economics; you don't enjoy it and you'll spend THE REST OF YOUR LIFE as a second class citizen behind those with Maths degrees.

Engineering would probably be the best option.
Reply 7
Thanks for the support Clip!

You do Mechanical Engineering by any chance? I'm worried the work-load would be seriously too much, guess I'm a big pussy.

Original post by beepbeeprichie
Not law as there are very few jobs out there (unless you can get into oxbridge).

I know that's what I'm thinking, I won't go or get in to Oxbridge, but I'm not even certain I would want the solicitor job after Law anyway, I'd be taking it because it's respectable and always has that possibility I guess.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
A levels?
HISTORY IS AWESOME BTW. I'm taking it to keep my options open... law/business/politics/journalism are just a masters away :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by DaddyT
Mech eng if you enjoy it is the most vocational course and uni matters less as they are accredited. Having done that won't preclude you from going into jobs you can do with the other degrees economist and lawyer aside - although you can do one year top ups afterwards if this is the direction you feel you want to pursue.

Fact is if you ain't prepared to work hard dont bother with any of them!

Well I do enjoy Maths and there's plenty of that involved. Yeah you're right there, it does probably open up the most doors. I realise I'll have to work hard I just don't want to end up taking on a degree which is too hard, no matter how much I work, and failing.

I do Maths, Economics and History at A2 and I did Psychology at AS Level.

Which is another problem with Mechanical Engineering, as most require Physics, so it kinda reduces my Uni options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending