The Student Room Group

D'ya reckon I could get the grades?

I messed up my 5th year,mainly due to stress and not being able to cope with it. I've learned now,and am aiming for a course that requires AAAB,from either 5th or 6th year,and I'm applying through LEAPS(does that even make a difference?) I got ADDD in 5th year,and so far,I've been predicted high B's for all my highers and advanced higher,with a view to pushing them up to A's soon,and keeping them there until proper predictions come out after the prelims.

So,why no? I am willing and have been working very hard.
(edited 12 years ago)
No.
Reply 2
Original post by ritchie888
No.

Don't see qhy all the negs there^ A person sitting with 1 higher and who failed all their other ones realistically doesn't have a good chance of boosting up to all As and a B?
Original post by aroy45
Don't see qhy all the negs there^ A person sitting with 1 higher and who failed all their other ones realistically doesn't have a good chance of boosting up to all As and a B?

This is totally untrue. I know people at pretty good uni's that had between 0 and 2 highers after 5th year.
Reply 4
So,no then? I'm currently taking Higher Geography,Latin and History,and Advanced Higher German.
It's not likely, based on how most people improve. But some people might manage, so we can't really say whether you will. Best of luck with it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TheUnbeliever
It's not likely, based on how most people improve. But some people might manage, so we can't really say whether you will. Best of luck with it :smile:

Fair enough. I'll just keep working as I have been and hope that something good comes of it all. Thanks for answering anways.
Who are we to be the judge of your success??
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
This is totally untrue. I know people at pretty good uni's that had between 0 and 2 highers after 5th year.

I'm at St Andrews (English) and I had BBB after 5th year. Anything is possible with a half decent personal statement.
Reply 9
In regards to LEAPS, it helps to an extent. You're not going to be accepted on to a course where you don't meet the entry requirements just because you go to a LEAPS school. But it's a thing for unis to take into account, that maybe you didn't get as good results as you could do because of the school you went to. I went to a LEAPS school, but I was told by them that I didn't really need the help, but I know people who were borderline who got an offer since they went to a LEAPS school, but I also know people who got rejected despite going to a LEAPS school.

Good luck!
Original post by OddThings
So,no then? I'm currently taking Higher Geography,Latin and History,and Advanced Higher German.

Off topic, but: Higher Latin is awesome!! And comparatively easy if you've done Latin before, I'd say.

Original post by TheUnbeliever

This basically.
Reply 11
Original post by derangedyoshi
Off topic, but: Higher Latin is awesome!! And comparatively easy if you've done Latin before, I'd say.

This basically.

Hello again :biggrin: Higher Latin is not too bad,but I'm crashing it,so sometimes it gets a bit nasty.
Original post by OddThings
I messed up my 5th year,mainly due to stress and not being able to cope with it. I've learned now,and am aiming for a course that requires AAAB,from either 5th or 6th year,and I'm applying through LEAPS(does that even make a difference?) I got ADDD in 5th year,and so far,I've been predicted high B's for all my highers and advanced higher,with a view to pushing them up to A's soon,and keeping them there until proper predictions come out after the prelims.

So,why no? I am willing and have been working very hard.

It'll be difficult, I won't lie. I had ABCC after S5 and I worked my butt off in S6 to get AABC (was going to appeal the C but decided it wouldn't make much difference anyway, since I'd already decided to go to my insurance). If you have the right attitude and work hard all year, I don't see why not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending