The Student Room Group

Why are there so many idiots at uni

I was having a good day today and then, bam, new class and get put into a group with dipsticks.
Loud boisterous guys shouting across the room at each other and some cow who kept speaking over me. The other 2 were nice, but they were foreign. One is smart and speaks good english and the other is very quiet/timid.
I've no idea how we're going to pass this team assignment.
A whole year of them :frown: pah

Scroll to see replies

That is going to be the case in any scenario in any place in the world.

Just concentrate on yourself and your work, that's the most important thing.
Reply 2
Just don't bother going to class unless attendance counts towards your grades.
Reply 3
At least you've got some decent people in your class. Mine were just full of dumbass rahs.
Reply 4
If you resort to posting a thread like that then you are probably socially inept and therefore think the majority of people are 'dipsticks'
Original post by Callaghan
Just don't bother going to class unless attendance counts towards your grades.

Great advice :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Stephybabes
I was having a good day today and then, bam, new class and get put into a group with dipsticks.
Loud boisterous guys shouting across the room at each other and some cow who kept speaking over me. The other 2 were nice, but they were foreign. One is smart and speaks good english and the other is very quiet/timid.

It's to prepare you for the world of work.
Reply 7
well they have to be some kind of smart, at least, i hope they are; for the sake of the more sensible people in ur group.
And this was worth telling us about?

Do you wanyt some cheese with that whine?
Reply 9
Original post by itchy and scratchy
Great advice :rolleyes:

There was a well known history professor who used to say to his students, well I'll paraphrase cos don't remember exact wording, but he used to say ''Those of you who want to excel I will not be seeing, but for the lazy people there are lectures'' That phrasing was very clunky but basically university is about reading and studying and discovering on your own. If you can't be bothered to do that then go to class
Deal with it, what uni is this if you dont mind me asking
Original post by The Dark Lord
New Labour.

This made me lol
Well i did group work with idiots too, I spent like 6 months with them and they never contributed to anything at all, out of 5 of us 3 of them did nothing (1 ended up getting kicked out, one failed the module, the other one scraped 42%). I told my lecturer (I mentioned it near the start and about 4 more times through out the projects) that they did nothing and they asked me to get together every bit of work I had contributed and said the same to the rest, they can tell whose work goes in to the project based on how its written and how well structured or unstructured it is (its pretty hard to fake it when its put together, and their are usually email logs of who sent what to who).

The moral is to tell the lecturer early on if you feel its not progressing enough, they will have words with everyone, if it still gets nowhere ask to be switched groups, they usually try to split up people who know each other too well as they prefer you to experience a range of different people (usually ones you would not have come across much, such as different cultures, people dressed differently to you, people who have different personalities etc).
Oh ye this is not written by pwnartist, its her feonce :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by ElectricChomsky
And this was worth telling us about?

Do you wanyt some cheese with that whine?

"It's just a ride" :wink:
The man himself would have agreed there's an exception when it comes to whining >.<

Back and to the left.....
if they act like that in Bradford uni they are now fined £100+ min for disruption. Not all do but most are now. If there your housemates however ur buggered
Reply 17
Original post by Stephybabes

Oh no. What course/uni is this at. Perhaps things will calm down.
Reply 18
Give it some time, and an open mind. Stop being so judgemental. And maybe you have a point with the "kept trying to talk to me" thing, sometimes its not just the standard friendly, but from what you said how can you tell, just sounds like you're being rude about someone who's trying to be nice.
And re timid asian, be nice to them and they might be a little more confident and turn out really nice.
Maybe you're right and you have dipsticks, if so, I'm sorry that sucks =( let this experience make you stronger? You'll encounter this kind of frustrating situation in the future where there isnt a higher authority that can sort it out if it gets really bad... But for now, at least you do =)
Reply 19
What course are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending