The Student Room Group

Resat AS year and applying for pharmacy 2012, need some help please!

Hii,
i resat AS year and am being predicted AAB.
My uni choices included Cardiff.
but now i'm not sure, as when i emailed them they said that because i resat, it would be 'detrimental' to my application and that it's an unfair advantage as most people would have done their A levels in 2 years.
LSOP said they would consider me but may raise entry requirements to AAA.
so i am very stuck between LSOP and cardiff.
I could possibly get the B in psych up to an A but i do find psych quite hard.

I would love to hear from anyone who was/is in my situation or knows of anyone who resat the year and then applied to cardiff/LSOP.

Please help me, it's really stressing me out.
Thankyou !! :smile:
Reply 1
Whats the neg for?
I really need help from anyone who has been through this or knows of anyone who has?
please?
im applying for pharmacy first time and i need an AAB. yeah i wouldnt be surprised if you need an AAA, do you really like LSOP and cardiff?? what about the lower ranked pharmacy schools like portsmouth or sunderland (no offence to anyone that goes there)
Reply 3
Original post by James A
im applying for pharmacy first time and i need an AAB. yeah i wouldnt be surprised if you need an AAA, do you really like LSOP and cardiff?? what about the lower ranked pharmacy schools like portsmouth or sunderland (no offence to anyone that goes there)

I emailed king's and they said i was fine so that's my first choice.
I loved cardiff but their email is putting me off you see, and it could just be a complete waste applying there so i wondered if LSOP woud be better.
Also applying to LJMU, Keele and Bradford.
I'm only going to do 2 AAB/AAA ones so between LSOP and Cardiff.
where are you thinking of applying?
and Thanks for replying!
Original post by Azizo123
I emailed king's and they said i was fine so that's my first choice.
I loved cardiff but their email is putting me off you see, and it could just be a complete waste applying there so i wondered if LSOP woud be better.
Also applying to LJMU, Keele and Bradford.
I'm only going to do 2 AAB/AAA ones so between LSOP and Cardiff.
where are you thinking of applying?
and Thanks for replying!

bath, uea, reading, portsmouth and hertfordshire
Reply 5
Hey, i'm in the same situation. I'm resitting the year and applying for pharmacy. My predicted grades are only ABB, soI will probably only apply for, sunderland, LJMU, UCLAN etc. Do you think resitting will affect the grades I need for these universities?
Reply 6
Original post by craig12
Hey, i'm in the same situation. I'm resitting the year and applying for pharmacy. My predicted grades are only ABB, soI will probably only apply for, sunderland, LJMU, UCLAN etc. Do you think resitting will affect the grades I need for these universities?

Hey! ahhh someone like me!
tbh sunderland, ljmu, hertfordshire, and i'm not sure which others, but they all ended up in clearing this year.
So i'm thinking it'll be alright for us, aslong as we have good PS's and reference etc.
They usually ask for BBB anyway, but maybe hertfordshire a little higher due to resitting.
Reply 7
Ahh well that's a bit more promising for me :smile: Thanks. I've only really decided I wanted to do pharmacy not long ago. Any advice for the personal statement, getting some work experience etc.
Reply 8
Original post by craig12
Ahh well that's a bit more promising for me :smile: Thanks. I've only really decided I wanted to do pharmacy not long ago. Any advice for the personal statement, getting some work experience etc.

I think theres a massive thread somewhere about pharmacy personal statements, that helped a lot. it'll come up in search.
And i got 1 week in a community pharmacy. but not a chain pharmacy like lloyds, they were against work exp to me, but i went into a random pharmacy and they were really nice.
i mentioned that work exp in my ps, just saying about what pharmacy is really like and the professionalism etcetc.
but i've only written one draft so far
Reply 9
I think theres a massive thread somewhere about pharmacy personal statements, that helped a lot. it'll come up in search.
And i got 1 week in a community pharmacy. but not a chain pharmacy like lloyds, they were against work exp to me, but i went into a random pharmacy and they were really nice.
i mentioned that work exp in my ps, just saying about what pharmacy is really like and the professionalism etcetc.
but i've only written one draft so far

Oh right, i'll have a look. I have heard that work experience isn't a commodity, but it is worth having to strenghen your application. I'll try and draft a ps tonight, see how far I get anyway. Thanks for the help. Oh by the way what A-levels do you do?
Reply 10
Original post by craig12
Oh right, i'll have a look. I have heard that work experience isn't a commodity, but it is worth having to strenghen your application. I'll try and draft a ps tonight, see how far I get anyway. Thanks for the help. Oh by the way what A-levels do you do?

yeah it probably isn't. 1 week isn't too much effort so worth doing i reckon.
Bio,Chem,Psych
you?
also i think i'll just choose cardiff, london isn't realistic for me - way too expensive. i'd love to go to ljmu actually, i'm already getting excited haha
Reply 11
yeah it probably isn't. 1 week isn't too much effort so worth doing i reckon.
Bio,Chem,Psych
you?
also i think i'll just choose cardiff, london isn't realistic for me - way too expensive. i'd love to go to ljmu actually, i'm already getting excited haha

Yeah, well i'll ask around, hopefull I can get some :smile: Bio, Chem and English Language. Yeah the cost of living is absurd =/ I'm hoping to go to LMJU! I live near liverpool, it's such a great city now and the night life is amazing :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by craig12
Yeah, well i'll ask around, hopefull I can get some :smile: Bio, Chem and English Language. Yeah the cost of living is absurd =/ I'm hoping to go to LMJU! I live near liverpool, it's such a great city now and the night life is amazing :wink:

I live in manchester, so Liv's less than an hour away, really convenient.
i'm gonna go to the open day on 15th Oct, i haven't actually been to liverpool yet!
the site looks amazing tho.
yess i've heard how great the night life is!!
just have to get this stupid PS done arrgh, so annoying
Reply 13
I live in manchester, so Liv's less than an hour away, really convenient.
i'm gonna go to the open day on 15th Oct, i haven't actually been to liverpool yet!
the site looks amazing tho.
yess i've heard how great the night life is!!
just have to get this stupid PS done arrgh, so annoying

Ahh that's good. I live on the wirral, it's like 15 minutes away :P Yeah i'm going to the open day, I might see you there :smile: I haven't started mine yet! I think you're in better stead to be honest.
Reply 14
So you'd be living at home then?
Haha yes you probably will see me.
But iv just deactivated my facebook so you won't know what I look like, I'm a girl btw.
And once you get going it'll just flow. But I was sat for atleast an hour before I actually wrote something down
Reply 15
I might stay at home. The advantages are that I wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on rent. But if I move to Liverpool, I will be closer, wouldn't have to travel as much and I would have my own space. So, i don't know yet, i'll cross that bridge when I get to it :smile: I assume you're moving regardless of what uni you're going to? Ahh thats okay. Haha i'm sure I will be fine :smile: So have you finished your 2nd draft? Would you be able to send a draft to me, I understand if you don't want to, but it would be an influential start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending