The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnumberwang
But when you're not cool maths, you have... physics.... ew.

Chemistry is so basic, but I still prefer it to physics, no idea why lol. The practical experiments in physics do my head in!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Nah, they really don't care about GCSEs don't worry about it. But Cambridge is out of the question. And you might want to check what they want for the core subjects. :/

Where can i find what core subjects they want (the websites confusing), and do you have to do sciences to take a maths degree?
Original post by OHNOGEM
Where can i find what core subjects they want (the websites confusing), and do you have to do sciences to take a maths degree?

No top maths degree will ask for anything other than Maths FM and another of your choice, provided that it's not a soft A level.
No top maths degree will ask for anything other than Maths FM and another of your choice, provided that it's not a soft A level.

Phew i thought Bio and Chem were compulsory, thanks!
Original post by OHNOGEM
Phew i thought Bio and Chem were compulsory, thanks!

Not at all, although you may want to think about Physics or Economics, they're usually the ones that accompany the maths A-levels. :smile:
Original post by Cura
I live on the thames :smile: My tutors were all shocked when I told them I was going Greenwich, even my family friend who works in Cambridge was shocked that I rejected the offer.

You're either a moron or a troll or I am majorly not understanding what you're trying to say.

So you rejected Cambridge's £6-8k per year (£3k fees + £3-5k maintenance) to instead go to University of Greenwich in 2012 entry for £8.3k per year? Not to mention that if you're eligible for grants you'd get double from Cambridge.

Hm.
Not at all, although you may want to think about Physics or Economics, they're usually the ones that accompany the maths A-levels. :smile:

I did AS economics but then dropped it and only got a C anyway....do you think this will help with my offer...?
Original post by dnumberwang
Chemistry is good!

It's better than physics imo, even though it is stupidly soft

Original post by ben-smith
What?! Chemistry is just watered down physics.

What!?

Chemistry is by far the hardest A level out there.
what is it with everyone hating chemistry? its my favourite subject after maths and even considered it at uni until i realised maths is the best :P
Original post by like_a_star
what is it with everyone hating chemistry? its my favourite subject after maths and even considered it at uni until i realised maths is the best :P

thats exactly the same view i have :colone:
Original post by House Dagoth
What!?

Chemistry is by far the hardest A level out there.

Note that I am talking about the subject rather than the a level. I certainly found Chemistry Alevel to be harder than my other sciences.
Reply 1631
just managed to do 1.6666 STEP questions in 35 minutes :proud:

going to have to stop preparing for STEP though, it's quite addictive.
Reply 1632
Original post by hassi94
You're either a moron or a troll or I am majorly not understanding what you're trying to say.

So you rejected Cambridge's £6-8k per year (£3k fees + £3-5k maintenance) to instead go to University of Greenwich in 2012 entry for £8.3k per year? Not to mention that if you're eligible for grants you'd get double from Cambridge.

Hm.

Yes I am a Moron, shame ill got better grades that you. I do not want to be in interest debt for the rest of my life, I have just enough saved up 1 and half uni fees, hope to by the end of summer next year. Instead of being stuck up your bottox there are other unis you know.
Original post by Cura
Yes I am a Moron, shame ill got better grades that you. I do not want to be in interest debt for the rest of my life, I have just enough saved up 1 and half uni fees, hope to by the end of summer next year. Instead of being stuck up your bottox there are other unis you know.

You do realise you can either pay back your loan in full orit must come out of your wages like always. If you are aiming for 12k to make a difference in your professional life I pity you.

Noone in the right mind would go to greenwhich over cambridge to overall save max 10k, and that's with working for a year (which you could easily make at least twice or thrice that the first year after you graduate but in thiscase you'll still bin greenwich that year.

Greenwich could pay me 100k tostudy there and i wouldn't take it.
So i reiterate: you're either a moron or a troll.
Original post by hassi94

Troll.

he is just some troll who got his degree from Greenwich irl, hence why he is referring to it whilst trolling.

Troll psychology.
Original post by hassi94
You do realise you can either pay back your loan in full orit must come out of your wages like always. If you are aiming for 12k to make a difference in your professional life I pity you.

Noone in the right mind would go to greenwhich over cambridge to overall save max 10k, and that's with working for a year (which you could easily make at least twice or thrice that the first year after you graduate but in thiscase you'll still bin greenwich that year.

Greenwich could pay me 100k tostudy there and i wouldn't take it.

Hassi! :biggrin: Was you at the Warwick open day? :p:
Hassi! :biggrin: Was you at the Warwick open day? :p:

Hey :biggrin: I wasn't unfortunately since I was on my Duke of Edinburgh expedition. It's still one of my choices nonetheless; though I'd have to visit before I firm it (I only say firm as I wouldn't insurance a STEP offer, unless say I get an offer from Cambridge and Warwick but nowhere else).
I was just wondering how many people take further maths at your school?
Im doing the AS in year 13 and it started out with 5 girls but now theres only 3...its cosy!!! hehe :tongue:
Theres probably more doing the full A level.....
Original post by BeccaCath94
I was just wondering how many people take further maths at your school?
Im doing the AS in year 13 and it started out with 5 girls but now theres only 3...its cosy!!! hehe :tongue:
Theres probably more doing the full A level.....

yeah theres not that many in my further maths class either...there were 4 at the start of year 12 and then 5 when i changed subjects from psychology to further maths last november. the whole class is tiny though we fit in 2 rows :O
Original post by like_a_star
yeah theres not that many in my further maths class either...there were 4 at the start of year 12 and then 5 when i changed subjects from psychology to further maths last november. the whole class is tiny though we fit in 2 rows :O

We fit in one row!!!!!! :tongue:

Latest