The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
"Economists cannot forecast well... but experience shows that they forecast the economy better than any other group thus far discovered." Paul A. Samuelson

well tbf you would bloody hell hope so
And in 20yrs time, econ hopefuls will be posting quotes from economist Mr. Tomatochuckers. Watch this space.
Hello, economist of TSR

What are ones chances of getting in to a good uni with poor GCSE's and relatively good A Levels.
Basically with A* AAAA BBBB CCCC and an A*AA or A*A*A prediction in Accounts eco and maths.

Would I be able to get in to birmingham/nottingham or will I have to go to Leicester/loughborough?

Thanks
Original post by Tateco
Your eyes are fine :tongue:

Original post by Groat
I added it again for you. :u:

Ah I knew it :biggrin: But thanks, I don't want to be the only one to have a great economist quote in my sig. I need your support. :u:
Reply 3444
Original post by nightmare91
Ah I knew it :biggrin: But thanks, I don't want to be the only one to have a great economist quote in my sig. I need your support. :u:

I don't know whether to put my version or your version in my sig :tongue:

Original post by ...mo...
Hello, economist of TSR

What are ones chances of getting in to a good uni with poor GCSE's and relatively good A Levels.
Basically with A* AAAA BBBB CCCC and an A*AA or A*A*A prediction in Accounts eco and maths.

Would I be able to get in to birmingham/nottingham or will I have to go to Leicester/loughborough?

Thanks

How many times are you going to post a variant of this question somewhere in this sub-forum :lolwut:
Damn everyone wants to know the likelihood of them getting in for X course at Y uni...

Apply. Thats the only way you'll find out.
Original post by -Illmatic-
Damn everyone wants to know the likelihood of them getting in for X course at Y uni...

Why waste one of your precious choices and leave it too chance when you chance ask the intelligent and well informed economic students of TSR. Anyway this question was not for you, but the for the helpful people.
Why waste one of your precious choices and leave it too chance when you chance ask the intelligent and well informed economic students of TSR. Anyway this question was not for you, but the for the helpful people.

Whatevs.

Have a nice life :nutcase:
Original post by Tateco

How many times are you going to post a variant of this question somewhere in this sub-forum :lolwut:

Sorry. I wanted a place with lots of intelligent Economic students. Where better than here. Anyway I am pretty sure it makes you feel superior reading my low grades.
Original post by -Illmatic-

Actually you can find out in other ways, like asking people who got in about their profile, and those who did not get in about the feedback from their unis, and then make a conclusion based on this information. Admissions tutors are wishy washy though sometimes.

And I myself sometimes post the 'what are my chances of getting into course..' questions... (dont know what this leads to, so I'll just stop)
Reply 3450
Sorry. I wanted a place with lots of intelligent Economic students. Where better than here. Anyway I am pretty sure it makes you feel superior reading my low grades.

:facepalm:

If you want to go to Nottingham you should know the answer to your own question.

If I said you were guaranteed an offer at Nottingham what would you think?
sorry what's a sig? (i feel like a tsr noob)
Reply 3452
Original post by funkydee
sorry what's a sig? (i feel like a tsr noob)

Signature.
Original post by Tateco

Yay get one as well :biggrin: Both are good^^

Original post by Tomatochuckers
Actually you can find out in other ways, like asking people who got in about their profile, and those who did not get in about the feedback from their unis, and then make a conclusion based on this information. Admissions tutors are wishy washy though sometimes.

And I myself sometimes post the 'what are my chances of getting into course..' questions... (dont know what this leads to, so I'll just stop)

Hi

Regarding the likely hood of getting in to a top uni for eco. Who can I ask or where. When I ask admission tutors I get a generic answer like "we treat all applications equally" or "we take other factors in to consideration"

NO, YOU DON'T REALLY. I was told by a lecturer that you base decisions on academic performance and PS don't really matter.

Who can I ask that will give me a proper answer. Just wondering can you help.
Bad GCSE + good A Level = Nottingham/Birmingham/Leicester or loughborough
Hello, economist of TSR

Thanks

Well I don't know much more than anyone else here, but I thought I'd atleast try give my view and advice on this rather unlike the few people above =/

Anyway, GCSEs (particularly in unis below top 5, like the ones you mentioned) are mainly used as a deciding factor when you are put into the pile of "generic" applicants. I.e. Those with ok/good personal statements and AAA predictions.

If you're predicted A*A*A then GCSEs shouldn't hinder you so much as to cause you to be rejected. A*AA is cutting it a bit tight, but for the unis you mentioned it should be fine (aside from maybe Nottingham, but they only used it for the AAA-predicted applicants last year).

In other words, it should be fine. For unis in the top 5 you may struggle. No harm in having one top 5 uni as a choice though.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Tateco
Signature.

yeah as in what is this signature stuff everyone always mentions
Original post by Tateco

If you want to go to Nottingham you should know the answer to your own question.

If I said you were guaranteed an offer at Nottingham what would you think?

I want to make an informed decision. Would make a 9000K a year decision based on little information. I just want to know how uni's make their decisions and if my GCSE's will affect my chance so I thought of asking TSR. Whats wrong witht that?
Reply 3458
Hi

Regarding the likely hood of getting in to a top uni for eco. Who can I ask or where. When I ask admission tutors I get a generic answer like "we treat all applications equally" or "we take other factors in to consideration"

NO, YOU DON'T REALLY. I was told by a lecturer that you base decisions on academic performance and PS don't really matter.

Who can I ask that will give me a proper answer. Just wondering can you help.
Bad GCSE + good A Level = Nottingham/Birmingham/Leicester or loughborough

No one can give you an answer, that is the point. We can't guess what admissions tutors are going to do.
Reply 3459
Original post by Confused101

If you're predicted A*A*A then GCSEs shouldn't hinder you so much as to cause you to be rejected. A*AA is cutting it a bit tight, but for the unis you mentioned it should be fine (aside from maybe Nottingham, but they only used it for the AAA-predicted applicants last year)..

Are you serious? What on earth are you basing this on?

Latest

Trending

Trending