The Student Room Group

What happens if this is the case?

Hey!

Just wonder, if somebody would fail second year at university X what would happen then? Will he/she be able to do the year again?

And what happens with the repayment of the fees

Just wonder cuz one of my good friends wants to know
If you fail, unless you can convince the university to let you resit the year (usually if you have extenuating circumstances), then your course is terminated, if you passed anything (even just year 1), you get something that says you did that much, and that is that. You repay all money borrowed as you would if you graduated.
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
If you fail, unless you can convince the university to let you resit the year (usually if you have extenuating circumstances), then your course is terminated, if you passed anything (even just year 1), you get something that says you did that much, and that is that. You repay all money borrowed as you would if you graduated.

Ok, thanks for the answer, mod can now close thread, just me and a friend that were curious! cheers!
Original post by mmaattrriixx
Ok, thanks for the answer, mod can now close thread, just me and a friend that were curious! cheers!

Best thing to do is check at the uni(s) you are at / going to though, as various places may do it different :smile: It should be online somewhere tbh
Reply 4
Best thing to do is check at the uni(s) you are at / going to though, as various places may do it different :smile: It should be online somewhere tbh

Ok, I see, I will mate, thanks for ya help :smile:

Btw, how many tests can you retake before the whole module is F?

And how many modules are you allowed to fail for a degree?

Thinking about in average cases now
Retakes depend on the uni. How much you fail depends on the uni. Some will let you fail certain modules and still progress, some want you to pass everything. If you have less than 120 credits per year, I believe you don't get an honours degree.

Also, if you retake the whole year, you have to pay fees. If you are just doing some modules, you have reduced fees. You're only ever allowed to repeat one year out of the three. You would also be entitled to a maintenance loan for this year if you are a full time student. All of this would have to be repayed. Also, you are only allowed 4 years maximum of student finance, so if you had a year in industry or something, you wouldn't get loans for the year you repeated and that.

But to be honest, it's not something you want to do.
Original post by mmaattrriixx
Ok, I see, I will mate, thanks for ya help :smile:

Btw, how many tests can you retake before the whole module is F?

And how many modules are you allowed to fail for a degree?

Thinking about in average cases now

Before we start, some modules are listed as required. If you fail these, you MUST resit AND pass them. If you have passed all required modules, you do as below.

Again, this is usually based on your uni and actual degree, but for me (and this is fairly standard):

If you pass all modules -> Pass.
If you have a 50% average and have passed 100+ credits worth of modules -> Pass.
If you have a 45% average and have passed 90+ credits worth of modules AND have only got 10 credits where you got less than 30% -> Pass.
If you have a 40% average and have passed 80+ credits worth of modules AND have got more than 30% in all modules -> Pass.

If you don't match one of the above rules, you go in for resits. You can resit any/all modules which you failed, but the mark is capped at 40%, so even if you got 80%, the mark you would receive is 40%.

After resits, then you have to have 80+ credits of passed modules AND a 40%+ average. Usually at this point, if you don't, your course is terminated. In certain cases, you get one more attempt, and then have to meet one of the rules above. If you do, you pass the year, if you don't, your course is terminated.

The exception to all of that, is if you have a valid reason for failing a module and (except in very rare circumstances) you submit evidence of this before the marks are released, you get another '1st sit' of that module. In this case, you resit that module (and any others which are also 1st sits), and then go into the whole process from the top.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Retakes depend on the uni. How much you fail depends on the uni. Some will let you fail certain modules and still progress, some want you to pass everything. If you have less than 120 credits per year, I believe you don't get an honours degree.

Also, if you retake the whole year, you have to pay fees. If you are just doing some modules, you have reduced fees. You're only ever allowed to repeat one year out of the three. You would also be entitled to a maintenance loan for this year if you are a full time student. All of this would have to be repayed. Also, you are only allowed 4 years maximum of student finance, so if you had a year in industry or something, you wouldn't get loans for the year you repeated and that.

But to be honest, it's not something you want to do.

In regards to first bit in bold, with honours degrees, that is false, you go from an honours to an ordinary degree, if you fail a certain number of modules, but have a certain average I believe. At this point, it gets complicated, so I didn't go into that :tongue: But I failed a module by sleeping through my alarm, missing the exam, in my first year, and I still passed the year, and progressed, on the honours degree.

Second bold bit is *usually* that you will only get finance for repeating one year, except if you have extenuating circumstances. Also, usually, if you have a year in industry, you don't pay tuition fees (or pay a nominal amount, such as £60 at Uni. of Nottingham), so it doesn't count as year of funding (as you get paid by the job). Lastly, you get funding for the number of years your course is when you first apply + 1. So, I switched to the MSci course, but if I had of started on it, I would have got 4 years funded, plus an extra years funding if I changed to a different course after year 1 or needed to retake a year.
In regards to first bit in bold, with honours degrees, that is false, you go from an honours to an ordinary degree, if you fail a certain number of modules, but have a certain average I believe. At this point, it gets complicated, so I didn't go into that :tongue: But I failed a module by sleeping through my alarm, missing the exam, in my first year, and I still passed the year, and progressed, on the honours degree.

Second bold bit is *usually* that you will only get finance for repeating one year, except if you have extenuating circumstances. Also, usually, if you have a year in industry, you don't pay tuition fees (or pay a nominal amount, such as £60 at Uni. of Nottingham), so it doesn't count as year of funding (as you get paid by the job). Lastly, you get funding for the number of years your course is when you first apply + 1. So, I switched to the MSci course, but if I had of started on it, I would have got 4 years funded, plus an extra years funding if I changed to a different course after year 1 or needed to retake a year.

First bold: The uni I'm currently at won't let you progress if you fail any modules. You are allowed one retake, and to retake the modules you failed the year after, so it's rare for people to not progress eventually. Some universities will let you go through with a certain number of failed modules though, I know.

Second bold: This may be true for some courses, but I have the option of a placement year for mine, and maybe because of the sector (conservation/animal welfare), getting paid is actually pretty rare, but you are allowed to apply for a maintenance loan to cover your living costs, but because it's an optional year, I believe the 3 + 1 rule still applies, as student finance told me I couldn't get 4 years funding as I had already had one year's worth of funding an it wasn't advertised as a 4 year course. However, they might have been wrong, they usually are =P.

I think things like this tend to vary according to situation and are basically done at the discresion of the student finance company, and I wouldn't count on them to be lenient, or to not make mistakes in a complicated situation.
Some uni's let you 'pass by compensation' if you get 35%-39% in up to 30% of modules as long as you have 40% overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending