The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by Mann18
Yeah, was good to waste some time on! Anyone contemplating buying the insurance offer in there?

Other than college sports, I'm not really thinking about any of them, I'm wary of signing up to loads of things, then finding I don't have the time to do them all.

I have some gadget insurance for phone, laptop, camera and MP3 free with Santander. I won't bother with contents insurance.

I'd like to join any of the following, but I bet I won't get round to joining any: International Relations Society, Oxford Forum of International Development, Oxford Radical Forum, Isi/OxStu/Cherwell/whatever, European Affairs Society, LASR courses, Rocksoc, Oxford University Music Society, LGBTQ, Oxford University History Society, Oxford Union, Environment and Ethics... oh dear.
I won't be able to join sports in the first term (maybe I can join rowing in the second? if not :frown: at least I can get involved with tennis later), so I suppose that frees up some time for me.
Reply 3981
Original post by thurin
I have some gadget insurance for phone, laptop, camera and MP3 free with Santander. I won't bother with contents insurance.

I'd like to join any of the following, but I bet I won't get round to joining any: International Relations Society, Oxford Forum of International Development, Oxford Radical Forum, Isi/OxStu/Cherwell/whatever, European Affairs Society, LASR courses, Rocksoc, Oxford University Music Society, LGBTQ, Oxford University History Society, Oxford Union, Environment and Ethics... oh dear.
I won't be able to join sports in the first term (maybe I can join rowing in the second? if not :frown: at least I can get involved with tennis later), so I suppose that frees up some time for me.

I'm informed that people tend to take up rowing in third term as it's better weather (although if the weather stays like this, I'm sure there'll be an influx of people signing up!)

Other than that, it looks like you want to join all the societies! :p:

Rowing, Football and American Football sound good to me, as does the Living Wage thing, think I'll just pin my hopes on those :p:

Why can't you join sports in first term?
Reply 3982
Original post by Mann18
I'm informed that people tend to take up rowing in third term as it's better weather (although if the weather stays like this, I'm sure there'll be an influx of people signing up!)

Other than that, it looks like you want to join all the societies! :p:

Rowing, Football and American Football sound good to me, as does the Living Wage thing, think I'll just pin my hopes on those :p:

Why can't you join sports in first term?

Thank you!!

Oh I had an ACL reconstruction four weeks ago, so I should just stick to cardio/physio :tongue:
Reply 3983
Original post by thurin
Thank you!!

Oh I had an ACL reconstruction four weeks ago, so I should just stick to cardio/physio :tongue:

That happened to a friend of mine too, yeah, I would just stick to physio! did they do the whole "take a superficial tendon from your ankle and sew it to your knee" thing?

You must have done something pretty epic to tear your ACL though.
Reply 3984
Original post by Mann18
That happened to a friend of mine too, yeah, I would just stick to physio! did they do the whole "take a superficial tendon from your ankle and sew it to your knee" thing?

You must have done something pretty epic to tear your ACL though.

No, they took a graft of my hamstring from the same leg - the muscle wastage was just incredible...
Sports injury from football and/or tennis on astroturf - be warned! It can happen to anyone :ninja:
There's too much stuff to do!
Reply 3986
Original post by thurin
No, they took a graft of my hamstring from the same leg - the muscle wastage was just incredible...
Sports injury from football and/or tennis on astroturf - be warned! It can happen to anyone :ninja:

Not if you're immune to injuries. :cool:
Never even broken a bone, I'm pretty much the guy off "Unbreakable."

Still though, I hear it takes a while to get back into the flow, so I offer my best wishes with what I'm sure will be a speedy recovery :p:
Original post by barefootfiona
Good luck! I think I'm going to do this too, but the freshers timetable is SO restrictive! I literally only have one free hour on the Monday, and that is my lunchbreak :biggrin: From 8 until 12:30 it's obligatory talks, then it's lunch, and from 13:30, the gown may be needed! But I think I can fit it in.

I expect, if you ask nicely, you may be able to borrow a gown from a friendly 2nd year, or maybe even another fresher, just for your meeting with the Rector. :smile: I know it seems a bit off of me to be offering someone else's gown to you on their behalf, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it would save you being really stressed about it. It seems really harsh for you to need your gown by Monday!
Original post by Jeykayem
I expect, if you ask nicely, you may be able to borrow a gown from a friendly 2nd year, or maybe even another fresher, just for your meeting with the Rector. :smile: I know it seems a bit off of me to be offering someone else's gown to you on their behalf, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it would save you being really stressed about it. It seems really harsh for you to need your gown by Monday!

Yeah, good point, and a couple of friends I've got in 2nd year (I'm a gap yearer, so all my school friends are now in 2nd year) said they'd lend me theirs, but I just would prefer to have my own, just to be sure.

I agree! Seems a bit odd! But hopefully I'll be lucky and have a meeting later on in the week. But their letter was a bit misleading... "You can buy your gown etc once you arrive in Oxford", and then effectively allocate 15 minutes on the freshers time table! I'll have to skip lunch! Disaster, right? :wink:
Reply 3989
anyone play/thinking of trying rugby league?
Original post by rev_pain

Damn you to hell, heretic.
Reply 3991

I didn't think there would be a team for some reason.

Hell, I'd try out.
To anyone else still worried about the OOB, I e-mailed yesterday and they replied saying that student finance will keep updating eligible people throughout this week.
Original post by rahyahrah
To anyone else still worried about the OOB, I e-mailed yesterday and they replied saying that student finance will keep updating eligible people throughout this week.

Mine updated a couple of days ago but I only got the letter today so I think it's all a bit random tbh.
Reply 3994
Original post by soutioirsim
Mine updated a couple of days ago but I only got the letter today so I think it's all a bit random tbh.

May I ask what the letter looks like/ what the title of it is on SFE?

It's not what looks to be a Notification of Entitlement letter, but with a bit about the OOB is it?
Reply 3995
Original post by Mann18
I didn't think there would be a team for some reason.

Hell, I'd try out.

Yeh, it's been going for a good 30 years apparently. The varsity match is even televised on sky sports :redface:

www.ourlfc.com
Original post by Mann18
May I ask what the letter looks like/ what the title of it is on SFE?

It's not what looks to be a Notification of Entitlement letter, but with a bit about the OOB is it?

It's the top one and then it's just a document saying how much you get :smile:
Reply 3997
Yeh, it's been going for a good 30 years apparently. The varsity match is even televised on sky sports :redface:

www.ourlfc.com

I did not know that! :redface: Also seems to be very Brasenose from a brief look at the team.

Well, I can say with certainty that I would not make the university team, but if there's a college version, I'd be all over that, not really into union (because I don't know the rules mainly.) I think it must be ridiculously difficult to get onto any of the university sports teams, especially rugby union and rowing.
Original post by soutioirsim
It's the top one and then it's just a document saying how much you get :smile:

Thank you very much, that saves me continuously checking the letters I have on there to see if there's a paragraph on the OOB :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mann18

:nutcase:
Urgh, having a last minute 'college says apparently i have to have antivirus for my mac' panic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending