The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:nutcase:

Nice to see you too :p:

How are things? I'm assuming you've been presented with an equally horrid reading list?
Reply 4001
At home again! My time to unpack, buy stuff and repack has begun.

Original post by Mann18
What do your surnames begin with? I think they *may* be doing them alphabetically, I know someone who's surname begins with Z who didn't hear 'til early October.

B for me too, but as the consensus seems to be that it's slow and random I'm not too worried.
Reply 4002
Original post by dbmag9
At home again! My time to unpack, buy stuff and repack has begun.

B for me too, but as the consensus seems to be that it's slow and random I'm not too worried.

Yeah, surnames seem to have little to do with it, purely random.
Although, I will be disconcerted if SFE doesn't update before Sunday.
Original post by flywithemma
Urgh, having a last minute 'college says apparently i have to have antivirus for my mac' panic.

Just download Sophos. It will be enough and is free.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:nutcase:

Excuse me, but what the hell are you doing here? :tongue:
Reply 4005
Original post by jonnyboy1993
Excuse me, but what the hell are you doing here? :tongue:

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

:p:

EDIT: Just seen the bands you've seen, forget my last comment, you clearly have good taste :colonhash:
Original post by Mann18
Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

SHUSH, you're destroying my point :tongue:
Reply 4007
Original post by Mann18
I did not know that! :redface: Also seems to be very Brasenose from a brief look at the team.

Well, I can say with certainty that I would not make the university team, but if there's a college version, I'd be all over that, not really into union (because I don't know the rules mainly.) I think it must be ridiculously difficult to get onto any of the university sports teams, especially rugby union and rowing.

Union seems like it would be pretty intense in terms of training and all that and impossible to get onto obviously (not that I'd have any chance of getting onto the league first team either) but I personally much prefer league anyway.

Hopefully there will be some kind of League college league though.
Which college are you?
Original post by Mann18
Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

EDIT: Just seen the bands you've seen, forget my last comment, you clearly have good taste :colonhash:

whilst the real students are deigning to speak with you rabble:

How's it going, Mann? Long time no see.
Original post by pinstriped.flower
Just download Sophos. It will be enough and is free.

Yup, I have just been informed of its existence a couple of minutes ago, so intend to do that tomorrow. :redface:
Reply 4010
Original post by rev_pain
Union seems like it would be pretty intense in terms of training and all that and impossible to get onto obviously (not that I'd have any chance of getting onto the league first team either) but I personally much prefer league anyway.

Hopefully there will be some kind of League college league though.
Which college are you?

Agreed, at least in league, one team can't theoretically keep control of the ball for an unlimited number of tackles. I'm unsure if it'll be popular enough to warrant it's own cuppers league, it's mostly popular in Lancashire and Yorkshire and the Humber (which I assume you're from, as am I.)

St Edmund Hall (the only college to have TWO cuppers teams :colonhash:) you?
Original post by Mann18

Well, I can say with certainty that I would not make the university team, but if there's a college version, I'd be all over that, not really into union (because I don't know the rules mainly.) I think it must be ridiculously difficult to get onto any of the university sports teams, especially rugby union and rowing.

I don't think there is college League. It doesn't seem quite as popular really, unless there are some particularly northern colleges. You may get a Blue yet!
Reply 4012
Original post by TimmonaPortella
whilst the real students are deigning to speak with you rabble:

How's it going, Mann? Long time no see.

I'm fine thanks, you know how it is, pre-university jitters aside that is.

Yourself? Looking forward to it I hope?

(I'm ignoring the real students quip :p: )
Reply 4013
Original post by deFossard
I don't think there is college League. It doesn't seem quite as popular really, unless there are some particularly northern colleges. You may get a Blue yet!

It's awarded at whoever gives out blues' discretion (which I'm sure means, only if it's quite clear you would have done well in the Union team.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Bad news guys, as far as I know you can't do that at the Union. Most pay-with-bod-card schemes are run by individual colleges, and they're almost universally pay as you go. Sticking stuff on battels only really gets used for little things like printing and getting your post franked. Probably precisely for this reason Also, £1.50 for a pint is pretty standard for most jcr bars - at Catz it's £1.19 for the cider. Hope that doesn't dampen your Union aspirations, it can be a really interesting place if you manage to avoid all the hacks. Somehow...

My sister (she was at Hertford - graduated last year) reckons they had the best bar - but it got part-privatised - but it's apparently back to it's old ways. They have a drink called a pango apparently with about 7 shots in it... Also Balliol's "Crazy Tuesdays" are apparently really fun. She said the Union bar is lovely - I've just been reading their termcard. Wowzers. Did anyone see that when you join you get a £10 free bar voucher!!! So so joining, just for that.
Reply 4015
Original post by Mann18
Agreed, at least in league, one team can't theoretically keep control of the ball for an unlimited number of tackles. I'm unsure if it'll be popular enough to warrant it's own cuppers league, it's mostly popular in Lancashire and Yorkshire and the Humber (which I assume you're from, as am I.)

St Edmund Hall (the only college to have TWO cuppers teams :colonhash:) you?

We'll see, league does seem to be getting bigger 'daan saath' though. Surely colleges could pair up or something like that?
Nah, I'm from Newcastle but when I used to play league, back in the day, we had to go down to the deepest depths of the likes Batley and Dewsbury every week so it still is pretty Yorkshire-centric.

:eek: I'm impressed. St Hilda's
Original post by Mann18
I'm fine thanks, you know how it is, pre-university jitters aside that is.

Yourself? Looking forward to it I hope?

(I'm ignoring the real students quip :p: )

Yeah. I must say, I have less of the jitters and more -- increasing -- impatience. But hey, only 2 days.

Do you guys have lawyery stuff to read before you go?
Reply 4017
Original post by rev_pain
We'll see, league does seem to be getting bigger 'daan saath' though. Surely colleges could pair up or something like that?
Nah, I'm from Newcastle but when I used to play league, back in the day, we had to go down to the deepest depths of the likes Batley and Dewsbury every week so it still is pretty Yorkshire-centric.

:eek: I'm impressed. St Hilda's

Dewsbury, I had to commute there for a week, so I'm assuming you weren't blown away by the place on your visit :p:
We don't mention it when we're counting places in Yorkshire.

Hmm, if they allowed college collectives it could be done, might even forge new alliances, rather than just the rivalries that exist currently.

I wouldn't be too impressed, I just think it means that lots of people wanted to get onto the team but they didn't, so they made a second team.
Reply 4018
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yeah. I must say, I have less of the jitters and more -- increasing -- impatience. But hey, only 2 days.

Do you guys have lawyery stuff to read before you go?

2 days?! It's 5 for us and I'm jittery as hell, along with excited though.

Yeah, we got some Roman and Constitutional Law related stuff to read, basically just to make sure we aren't thrown into the deep end.

You?
Reply 4019
Original post by flywithemma
Urgh, having a last minute 'college says apparently i have to have antivirus for my mac' panic.

Norton Antivirus is 19.99 at Argos, if that is of any help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending