The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are private schools fair?

Scroll to see replies

If state schools were any better then there would be no need for private schools the same way it happens in UK or USA.

There is nothing unfair about private schools the very same way there is nothing unfair about 1 state school being better than another.
It irritates me so much when those that attend private schools state that parents of children at state schools obviously care less about their children and their education. My parents both work extremely hard at what they do and care about my education, so they moved to an area with good grammar schools so that I could still have a good education without attending private school (which they could not afford). It's absurd to assume that parents of children at state school don't care as much about the education of their children, simply because they can't afford to send them to private schools or because they are less educated than the parents of children at private schools.
Reply 122
Life isn't fair though :dontknow:
Original post by richiemayne
"The thing is it's not really about the parents, or how hard they've worked in their life. If they've worked hard and got a lot of money then good for them. But in my view, their child should not be allowed to have a head start in life just because they were arbitrarily born into that family. It's simply not fair on kids from poor backgrounds."

yeah but life in general isn't fair, no matter how much it ought to be.
Reply 124
It's more irritating when people in state schools go on about private schools. It's not just incredibly rich kids that go there, plus there are loads of ways which underprivileged children can go, tons of scholarships and bursaries.
Also from my experience I know people that go to both private and state schools and the parents of state school pupils have extra money to spend on cars, holidays etc whereas private school parents invest all of that in their kids education. Now I'm not saying that's everyone cause there are some people who just downright can't afford it, which is a tricky subject :/

In private schools the pupils work hard because they have the correct work ethic (most of the time) but in state schools a large majority of people see achieving as 'uncool' and its so much better to go out every night of the week.

Also quite a few universities take into account the school you attended when looking at your results so in that respect it's just as fair.

And if you try really hard you can get a scholarship, cause those admissions tests aren't easy! So you need some degree of brains to get in...
Reply 125
Quite a simple question: is it fair that wealthier parents are able to pay for their child to have a better education than a child from a family that cannot afford to send them to private school?

I am quite open to change my mind on this topic but this is my view at the moment.

I don't really think it's fair that one child should be allowed to allowed to have a better education than another because of the family that they were born into. I understand the argument that some people make that "well I worked hard for my money, so why can't I give my children the best start I can get them?"

The thing is it's not really about the parents, or how hard they've worked in their life. If they've worked hard and got a lot of money then good for them. But in my view, their child should not be allowed to have a head start in life just because they were arbitrarily born into that family. It's simply not fair on kids from poor backgrounds.

In my view, it creates a subtle divide between the majority of people who go to state school and the minority who go to private. The state schools kids think "eugh they went to private school, they just bought their education, they don't really deserve it".

I can't comment on the view of privately educated people because I myself was educated at an average state school. But that is the general view I have picked up in my time at state school.

I also think it creates a long term social divide. Wealthy families are able to pay for their child to have a better education and are thus more likely to be wealthy when they are older. Poor families get a poorer education and are more likely to stay in the same poor jobs even though they may be just as talented as many privately educated children. I realise this is a large generalisation but you get the idea, the private/state school distinction is not good for social mobility.

Anyway, that's my view. I'd quite like to hear general views on this topic so please argue against my points, agree with me, whatever. :smile:

Shouldn't you be focusing on the failure of governments to provide decent state education, rather than attacking individuals who have decided that the state education does not provide a satisfactory level of education and have decided to do something about it?
Some interesting point made, however in my own opinion, in any form of education, you get out what you put in at the end of the day, although at an independant school, i think this is more forcefully pushed than at most free schools, which are more relaxed when it comes to grades, knowing that they will recieve government granted money either way.

It does create a ort of class divide in some respects, but not in all cases. Scholarships are out there for those who work hard to better their education, but if you work hard you will achieve success anywhere you go.
Reply 127
Original post by rachelkeira
The basic right to education is met by the state system.
Private schools are a privilege.
Like many human rights, the basic rights are all met in this country, but if you have money you can receive a better one.

For example: 'the right to a standard of life adequate for well-being - including food, clothing, housing and healthcare' is a general human right. People are provided basic shelter through council housing, however people can be privileged and live in a big house... There's nothing wrong with that it's just the way things are, so I personally don't think you're argument holds much weight.

I went to both state and private school, so I can see both points of view here, but I think a lot of people on TSR are guilty of reverse snobbery.

Congratulations on monumentally missing my point.
Original post by Cicerao
Congratulations on monumentally missing my point.

Should have been clearer then :wink:
Original post by rachelkeira
The basic right to education is met by the state system.
Private schools are a privilege.
Like many human rights, the basic rights are all met in this country, but if you have money you can receive a better one.

For example: 'the right to a standard of life adequate for well-being - including food, clothing, housing and healthcare' is a general human right. People are provided basic shelter through council housing, however people can be privileged and live in a big house... There's nothing wrong with that it's just the way things are, so I personally don't think you're argument holds much weight.

I went to both state and private school, so I can see both points of view here, but I think a lot of people on TSR are guilty of reverse snobbery.

:ditto: first sensible thing i think i've ever seen you write on here

All this crap i don't get, why do we have this desire to punish those who can afford better things? the problem isn't that private schools exist, it's that state schools are crap.... Go to any country in the world, alongside state schools there are also private schools, their educational systems are ****ter than ours, you don't see them holding up torches asking for private schools to be abolished.....

The worlds not fair its sad but true.

ALL YOU PEOPLE SAYING THEY'RE NOT FAIR, I CAN BET IT THAT IF YOU HAD THE MONEY AS A PARENT YOU WOULD SEND YOUR CHILDREN THERE, BLOODY HYPOCRITES
Reply 130
Original post by alt31
It's more irritating when people in state schools go on about private schools. It's not just incredibly rich kids that go there, plus there are loads of ways which underprivileged children can go, tons of scholarships and bursaries.
Also from my experience I know people that go to both private and state schools and the parents of state school pupils have extra money to spend on cars, holidays etc whereas private school parents invest all of that in their kids education. Now I'm not saying that's everyone cause there are some people who just downright can't afford it, which is a tricky subject :/

In private schools the pupils work hard because they have the correct work ethic (most of the time) but in state schools a large majority of people see achieving as 'uncool' and its so much better to go out every night of the week.

Also quite a few universities take into account the school you attended when looking at your results so in that respect it's just as fair.

And if you try really hard you can get a scholarship, cause those admissions tests aren't easy! So you need some degree of brains to get in...

So you complain about generalisation and then go on to proclaim that the vast majority of state schoolers don't work hard, get pissed every night of the week and suggest their parents don't care about their education. Nice, really classy. And people wonder why they have a reputation of being up their own asses.
Original post by Cicerao
I have friends whose parents most certainly could have afforded a private school, but they attended the same comp as I did. So no, not everyone who can afford private school wants to use it. You can't call someone a hypocrite based on an assumption you've pulled out of thin air.

if you had the chance to get the best for your child would you get it yes or no
Reply 132
Original post by Ocassus
> Surely the best solution to eliminate Private schools is to ultimately improve the standard of state schools to the point where they are not needed?

I have to address this point.

This will never, ever happen, simply because the elite of society do not give a rat's about the quality of the state system. There is no need for them to even think about improving anything because they can send their children off to Eton and escape the proles stuck in the local comp with 29 other students in the class. They will always be "needed" because shipping your child off to boarding school is far easier than bothering to develop an efficient state system for all.

Original post by TheEssence
if you had the chance to get the best for your child would you get it yes or no

I'm going to reword the question, because I don't agree with your analysis of private school universally being "the best". Would I send a hypothetical child to a private school in the UK? No. Why would I pay into a system I don't agree with?
(edited 12 years ago)
The worst kind of people are the ones who go to or attended comprehensive schools all the while having the idea that they could have gotten into a private school / grammar school if they so wished.

At least private / grammar school kids are open about it. What this group of people believe is that they're better than their comprehensive school peers academically, and better than their grammar school counterparts morally.
Original post by Cicerao

This will never, ever happen, simply because the elite of society do not give a rat's about the quality of the state system. There is no need for them to even think about improving anything because they can send their children off to Eton and escape the proles stuck in the local comp with 29 other students in the class. They will always be "needed" because shipping your child off to boarding school is far easier than bothering to develop an efficient state system for all.

I'm going to reword the question, because I don't agree with your analysis of private school universally being "the best". Would I send a hypothetical child to a private school in the UK? No. Why would I pay into a system I don't agree with?

fair enough, you may not agree with it, but think of this, as it is the state sector is struggling to educate kids, so imagine if they had the burden of all others from private schools coming in too?

Socially they may not be the best, but they get good grades which is all that matters in academia
Quite a simple question: is it fair that wealthier parents are able to pay for their child to have a better education than a child from a family that cannot afford to send them to private school?

Well I'm sure somebody's beaten me to this point, but yes, because there are a billion and one factors which can determine one's success in education and in life, and it makes no sense to pick out this one.

Where do you stop? Once you've decided that this is unfair, is must then logically be unfair that some pupils go to very good state schools when some attend ****ty inner-city comps. You begin a long process of reducing everything down to the lowest common denominator. If you justify your stance by saying that it's ok if things are down to random chance rather than money, then firstly it's a rather spurious point because so is birth, and secondly it's a rather damning indictment on your principles that as long as you can feel morally superior, you don't really care about the practical implications of things.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by michael321
Where do you stop? Once you've decided that this is unfair, is must then logically be unfair that some pupils go to very good state schools when some attend ****ty inner-city comps. You begin a long process of reducing everything down to the lowest common denominator.

Nobody wants to reduce everything down, people want good quality education for everyone. The reason private schools are being called unfair is because of the fact that they are impossible to attend for a vast section of society, because of wealth. It's impossible to suddenly grant everyone the ability to afford private schools. It's perfectly possible to bring a state school's quality up to match a well-perfoming one.
Original post by Cicerao
Nobody wants to reduce everything down, people want good quality education for everyone. The reason private schools are being called unfair is because of the fact that they are impossible to attend for a vast section of society, because of wealth. It's impossible to suddenly grant everyone the ability to afford private schools. It's perfectly possible to bring a state school's quality up to match a well-perfoming one.

As are many good state schools. If you can't afford to attend a great state school because it would mean moving to an expensive cachement area, how is that any fairer?

Private schools have certain advantages most state schools will never attain, but many of the methods of the independent sector are entirely replicable.
Reply 138
Original post by michael321
As are many good state schools. If you can't afford to attend a great state school because it would mean moving to an expensive cachement area, how is that any fairer?

Private schools have certain advantages most state schools will never attain, but many of the methods of the independent sector are entirely replicable.

My point is that all schools should be of a good quality instead of having one tier for those who can afford a good education and another tier for those who have to "settle" for a lesser education. Nobody's saying we have to get rid of good state schools because for a lot of people they are the ideal - a good education without eye-watering fees. Poor, uneducating comps are nobody's ideal. That's why it's not true to say that people want to bring standards down. They want to bring standards up, but for everybody instead of it being seen as a luxury for a privileged few. I hope I explained it a little.
Original post by Cicerao

And earlier you accused someone of "pulling assumptions out of thin air"...

Actually, when grammar schools were at their height, private schools were in massive decline. Much as you'd like to sterotype, the vast majority of parents who send their kids to private school do so because they know they'll get a far better education there, not because they'll meet the "right sort of people". I know plenty of people who are just as intelligent as many at my old private school, but were failed by a state system which failed to teach them well and instill a good work ethic.

Isn't it great being the traditional TSRian who gets up in arms over the faintest whiff of racism or discrimination against the right sort of people, and yet happily stereotypes anyone who decides to send their children private?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending