The Student Room Group

Was this woman right in saying this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T-Toe
A Nigerian delivery lady came to my house, I started the small chat and she briefly said: 'what course are you studying, I said 'biochemistry'. She later said 'what do you plan to do afterwards?', I said 'probably medicine, hopefully', she said 'why are you doing biochemistry? Why don't you read medicine? you're wasting your time, I studied microbiology and I was 35 when I started having children, you're a grown up, time is ticking'. After her lecture I told her, I fell short of the grades however I did have one medicine interview but sadly didn't get in. I'm not going to take loads of gap years, I'd rather try my luck as a graduate. She said 'you should have got a tutor, you're wasting your time, just think about it'.

Her comments have sort of disheartened me a little, this isn't the first time someone's said this to me. Hers was the most blunt.

Nigerians are blunt and to the point.... true fact.... ask anyone who knows anything about nigerians
Reply 41
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
Nigerians are blunt and to the point.... true fact.... ask anyone who knows anything about nigerians

For the last time I am Nigerian -_-
Original post by T-Toe
For the last time I am Nigerian -_-

and her bluntness surprised you?
2 things to remember about Nigerians, especially Nigerian women:

1) They don't beat around the bush. Don't be surprised by their direct statements. If you want to faff about when you talk, that's your problem.

2) Uni education, where they're from, is a privilege. For you to not get the grades in the first place that you needed for your preferred career option is inexcusable and shows you're not serious enough about it. It's shocking to a lot of people from African countries that all you had to do was get the grades and, bam, you're in. But you couldn't even do that. So you're wasting your time faffing about.

Not necessarily true of course but it's the way people see it when they see those given a free ride failing.

In South Africa, where I'm from, you needed money to go to uni. I wanted to go to Oxford but didn't get the grades. I still got good grades, but not Oxbridge grades. My grandmother was like "why did your parents even bother to move to England if you're not going to take all your free opportunities?" It's just how they view things. They do have a point though because the only reason people don't get As and only As is laziness.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe
I'm Nigerian myself, I had no intention of stirring racism. I didn't think racist comments would arise, and here's me thinking TSR was full of decent, smart, level-headed people. I also said she was a delivery lady but nobody said that part was 'unnecessary'.

Sorry, the rolls eyes smiley was the sarcasm tell point, i know you werent trying to be racist.

It shouldnt arise, i read the same sentence and in no way thought "gee T-toe is being racist here"
Original post by catman7
They are made of dung and straw though.

How utterly ignorant.

I grew up and went to school in Nigeria- these are just a few pictures of my school. Dung and straw? I don't think so.
Reply 46
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
and her bluntness surprised you?

No, I many of my relatives have said a variant of what she's said but she was the most blunt.
Reply 47
Original post by maghreblover
How utterly ignorant.

I grew up and went to school in Nigeria- these are just a few pictures of my school. Dung and straw? I don't think so.

You don't have to prove anything to him. He was just trolling.
Chill. My mum's a psychotherapist shizz but she used to work with doctors to teach them 'social skills' (a skill most doctors seem to lack in their journey of studying through uni i reckon).
Loads of people there were graduates of random degrees. Like Law! You're doing biochemistry; at least that's related!
It's a different route, you'll make it. Just ignore peoples opinions coz they don't count for anything.
(This is coming from a theatre student. Trust me, I know peoples opinions can make you feel like crap but it's your life and your way of going about things :smile:) xx
Reply 49
Original post by KimKallstrom
They do have a point though because the only reason people don't get As and only As is laziness.

Not necessarily true but I agree with all the rest. I worked my butt off in A2 chemistry by self learning and I only just scraped a B, but then again I'm probably just a bit of a moron:tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by SylveeDiggs
I'm extremely offended by this comment, its incredibly generalising and borderline racist.

and OP it was an unnecessary thing to put in your post.

I have a right to free speech, you don't have a right to not be offended; ergo I don't care.
Reply 51
Original post by Broderss
I have a right to free speech, you don't have a right to not be offended; ergo I don't care.

If thats your definition of free speech then its funny cos the majority of people don't agree with you.:mad:
Original post by alleycat393
I did biochemistry and loads of people I graduated with wanted to go on to do medicine. My point being that it's not uncommon and is in fact quite a smart thing to do.

Graduate entry medicine is fairly competitive and so if I were you I'd work hard from day one (though at some unis your first year doesn't count!)

From the perspective of someone who's a biochemist and who was considering a career in the clinical sciences I would say that having done biochemistry as a first degree will give you a wider perspective of things when you do qualify as as doctor-a better molecular understanding of the things you'll encounter. Also, doctors talk to clinical scientists a lot when diagnosing and managing diseases using various biochemical tests. You'll be better equipped to understand and communicate with your clinical scientists.

I believe that medical degrees do contain elements of biochemistry and molecular stuff so your degree will help you there.

"when you do qualify as as doctor-a better molecular understanding of the things you'll encounter"

Nope.
By the time you actually qualify you will have forgotten 90% of the biochemistry.
THe brain can only hold so much semi-useless info!
Original post by Dekota-XS
Graduate entry medicine isn't the easiest route in, so she has a point.

Building on this point.
As it is 8 times more competitive you may spend more "gap years" applying for medicine if you chase the post grad route.
So it's a case of one or two years now
versus some grads I know are on their third app this year.
Original post by Jamie
"when you do qualify as as doctor-a better molecular understanding of the things you'll encounter"

Nope.
By the time you actually qualify you will have forgotten 90% of the biochemistry.
THe brain can only hold so much semi-useless info!

I beg to differ not because I am a doctor but I work for one and he definitely has not forgotten his biochemistry and if he does he consults a text!
Reply 55
I would always advise

Applying in Upper Sixth unless horrible gcses then wait till next year.

If you don't get any offers ... Re-apply after Alevels.

If you get an offer but miss the grades...(in a small way)...reapply after retakes if you can.

If you miss your offer in a big way or you get no offers and get poor alevels then do another degree, apply as a graduate.
Original post by Someone123123
Is this necessary info'?

That's what I was thinking.
Lol how this has descended into a racism debate.

It is a big myth that "all Africans are poor and live in huts" The reality is about 10% of them are really rich (live in mansions with servants) and the other 90% are dirt poor. Pretty much England 100 years ago. It's just unequal wealth distribution really. Countries like Nigeria are actually really rich. I know this because all my African friends say that the image of Africa portrayed in western media is complete bs.
Reply 58
Umm.

A Nigerian delivery lady claimed to have a Microbiology degree and gave you a lecture on life? And you take her at face value? Really? :lolwut:
Reply 59
Original post by Vazzyb
I would always advise

Applying in Upper Sixth unless horrible gcses then wait till next year.

If you don't get any offers ... Re-apply after Alevels.

If you get an offer but miss the grades...(in a small way)...reapply after retakes if you can.

If you miss your offer in a big way or you get no offers and get poor alevels then do another degree, apply as a graduate.

Weren't you the one who said you hope I don't get into medical school because I negged you?

Perhaps you jinxed it a little lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending