The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4040
Original post by micky022
Hello fellow Tynesider!

:eek: where abouts are you from?
Finally got my OOB thing through. Yay for free money!

Also just set up my email address. Yay for @exeter.ox.ac.uk!
Original post by Mann18
Well, I'm unsure, if it came down to it, I'd rather row/ play football I think. It's difficult to commit to anything without knowing our workloads and timetables.

:tongue: Dreaming about playing?! Damn, sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms.

I know what you mean, but being an Arts student I know I'll have time to commit to at least two sports....

I do have withdrawal symptoms. The problem is, I've been out of action for so long that I've probably lost 90% of my hard-earned cardio fitness and my rugby skills have probably deteriorated into nothing, so it'll be a rude awakening when I start playing again and realise that I'm totally crap and can't even make the college team.

(Football I dislike and rowing sounds like far too many early morning sessions. Rugby and a nice warm, indoor sport like fencing will do me fine!)
Original post by rev_pain
:eek: where abouts are you from?

Zone 2 on the Metro line, yourself?

I'd be more specific but I'm a privacy nut of sorts :tongue:
Reply 4044
Original post by LtCommanderData
Finally got my OOB thing through. Yay for free money!

Also just set up my email address. Yay for @exeter.ox.ac.uk!

Me too!

:colone: Let it begin!

and it's clearly all about @seh.ox.ac.uk :colonhash:
Reply 4045
Original post by The Anti-Hero
I know what you mean, but being an Arts student I know I'll have time to commit to at least two sports....

I do have withdrawal symptoms. The problem is, I've been out of action for so long that I've probably lost 90% of my hard-earned cardio fitness and my rugby skills have probably deteriorated into nothing, so it'll be a rude awakening when I start playing again and realise that I'm totally crap and can't even make the college team.

(Football I dislike and rowing sounds like far too many early morning sessions. Rugby and a nice warm, indoor sport like fencing will do me fine!)

Hmm, it depends if they train regularly though.
And depending on what college you attend, it'll be easier/harder to get into college teams, purely due to numbers (I think Univ has like 1000 undergrads? SEH only has like 500 max.)

Rowing just sounds "proper" if we're at Oxford to be honest, never done it before, but it clearly has to be done :p: You bring up an interesting point with fencing, something I've always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity.

What college are you at?
Reply 4046
X

Saw you like poker earlier on, oh, it is on.
Reply 4047
Zone 2 on the Metro line, yourself?

I'd be more specific but I'm a privacy nut of sorts :tongue:

lol, fair enough. I'm more of a zone 1 kind of man. (Heaton)
Original post by Mann18

and it's clearly all about @seh.ox.ac.uk :colonhash:

I'm a bit jealous of Goldsmiths College, UoL who have @gold.ac.uk

Someone my dad worked with went to Heaton Manor school, and he was some sort of head boy/prefect...he used to tell everyone at work he had once been 'head boy at Heaton', or something, which when said quickly sounds very much like 'head boy at Eton'. :cool:

Fellgate for me. I've never been past Jesmond :tongue:
Original post by Mann18
Saw you like poker earlier on, oh, it is on.

Goodbye, sweet student loan...
Reply 4052
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm a bit jealous of Goldsmiths College, UoL who have @gold.ac.uk

That is the best one I've seen thus far.
Goodbye, sweet student loan...

Hell, I'm not crazy, I wouldn't bet more than £20 at a a time, and that would be a special occasion for me. :redface:
Reply 4053
^ The one for Maths/Computer Science is so confusing though! I think I have Introduction to Pure Mathematics and Functional Programming clashing in my first week. And Maths and Comp Sci isn't properly featured on that list :K:

Edit: That was in response to the link to lecture lists. I'm just too slow :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mann18
That is the best one I've seen thus far.

Hell, I'm not crazy, I wouldn't bet more than £20 at a a time, and that would be a special occasion for me. :redface:

My chip values are more like 1p, 5p, 10p, and a packet of Maoam for all-in...
Reply 4055
My chip values are more like 1p, 5p, 10p, and a packet of Maoam for all-in...

Ah, whenever we play we all buy chips for £10 and have a tournament.

I'm not a high roller, promise!
Original post by Mann18
Ah, whenever we play we all buy chips for £10 and have a tournament.

I'm not a high roller, promise!

*******s, I bet you sit watching live poker at 2AM on Five...
Original post by Mann18
Hmm, it depends if they train regularly though.
And depending on what college you attend, it'll be easier/harder to get into college teams, purely due to numbers (I think Univ has like 1000 undergrads? SEH only has like 500 max.)

Rowing just sounds "proper" if we're at Oxford to be honest, never done it before, but it clearly has to be done :p: You bring up an interesting point with fencing, something I've always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity.

What college are you at?

I'm at Corpus, which is both small and reputedly bad at rugby. They have a joint team with Somerville. So I should manage to make the team, rusty as I am.
I was county standard once...

Fencing is really fun. I've only managed a few sessions, as the only club anywhere near me happened to fold about three weeks after I joined because the instructor died.
But I thoroughly enjoyed my taster and it seems like club at Oxford are really keen to get beginners involved; they even have a novice varsity match for people with < a year's experience, which is something to aim for!
Original post by gasmask
^ The one for Maths/Computer Science is so confusing though! I think I have Introduction to Pure Mathematics and Functional Programming clashing in my first week. And Maths and Comp Sci isn't properly featured on that list :K:

Edit: That was in response to the link to lecture lists. I'm just too slow :frown:

I feel your pain! Also, my freshers' timetable doesn't list maths & CS (or just CS) in any of the 'subject A, B, and C do this and that at this time' bits. I guess I'll just go to all the maths ones.
Reply 4059
Original post by flywithemma
Someone my dad worked with went to Heaton Manor school, and he was some sort of head boy/prefect...he used to tell everyone at work he had once been 'head boy at Heaton', or something, which when said quickly sounds very much like 'head boy at Eton'. :cool:

haha, I didn't even know they had prefects, Heaton Manor's a not bad, but not great, comprehensive. I know loads of people who went and to be honest being a head boy would just be an invitation for bullying :s-smilie:

Where in Northumberland are you from? (If you don't mind saying on here)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending