The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
Original post by The Anti-Hero
I'm at Corpus, which is both small and reputedly bad at rugby. They have a joint team with Somerville. So I should manage to make the team, rusty as I am.
I was county standard once...

Fencing is really fun. I've only managed a few sessions, as the only club anywhere near me happened to fold about three weeks after I joined because the instructor died.
But I thoroughly enjoyed my taster and it seems like club at Oxford are really keen to get beginners involved; they even have a novice varsity match for people with < a year's experience, which is something to aim for!

You didn't say you were county standard before :p: Well played! Yeah, I'd be surprised if you didn't make the college team.
It does seem like they encourage novices to get involved, they hold a cuppers novice rowing competition near the end of Michaelmas to get people interested. Ah, just 5 days left before we get to live this life.
Original post by micky022
*******s, I bet you sit watching live poker at 2AM on Five...

Damn, I've been uncovered.

EDIT: Meant to ask you, have you seen the modules we're taking this year?
There was no mention of "Legal Skills and Practice" until I saw the modules, wonder what that encompasses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rev_pain
haha, I didn't even know they had prefects, Heaton Manor's a not bad, but not great, comprehensive. I know loads of people who went and to be honest being a head boy would just be an invitation for bullying :s-smilie:

Where in Northumberland are you from? (If you don't mind saying on here)

That sounds a bit like my school...:tongue: We don't have prefects :frown: Maybe they've changed it too, my dad is quite old so presume his work colleague is too :tongue:

I'm from (well, virtually) Prudhoe. If you don't know where that is, a) count yourself lucky :tongue: b) it's pretty much midway between Newcastle and Hexham.
Original post by Mann18
You didn't say you were county standard before :p: Well played! Yeah, I'd be surprised if you didn't make the college team.
It does seem like they encourage novices to get involved, they hold a cuppers novice rowing competition near the end of Michaelmas to get people interested. Ah, just 5 days left before we get to live this life.

Damn, I've been uncovered.

EDIT: Meant to ask you, have you seen the modules we're taking this year?
There was no mention of "Legal Skills and Practice" until I saw the modules, wonder what that encompasses.

I haven't a clue. Roman and Constitutional, definitely.
Reply 4063
Original post by flywithemma
That sounds a bit like my school...:tongue: We don't have prefects :frown: Maybe they've changed it too, my dad is quite old so presume his work colleague is too :tongue:

I'm from (well, virtually) Prudhoe. If you don't know where that is, a) count yourself lucky :tongue: b) it's pretty much midway between Newcastle and Hexham.

Nah we didn't have prefects either.
I do know 'Prudda'! Haven't spent much time there though...doesn't sound like I should

Were you at Keble for interviews? I was too! but probably at a different time to historians
Reply 4064
I haven't a clue. Roman and Constitutional, definitely.

If you go on self-service, you can see the modules:

Roman, Criminal and Constitutional law, as well as a mooting skills one.
Reply 4065
Ooh, so I'd still be able to connect to the network and stuff? I was just worried as 2nd years on the freshers pages said that without antivirus I wouldn't be able to get on to the internet/the university network, and I don't really fancy having to spend time sorting it out in freshers when there are a lot more fun things i'd like to be doing...:redface:

I suppose it depends on the college, I've been without it for three years now, however...
Reply 4066
Fellgate for me. I've never been past Jesmond :tongue:

ah, I used to play rugby in Jarrow
ah, I used to play rugby in Jarrow

Viking Centre ftw
Reply 4068
Viking Centre ftw

never been sadly :frown:

Fencing is really fun. I've only managed a few sessions, as the only club anywhere near me happened to fold about three weeks after I joined because the instructor died.
But I thoroughly enjoyed my taster and it seems like club at Oxford are really keen to get beginners involved; they even have a novice varsity match for people with < a year's experience, which is something to aim for!

Definitely looks worth joining, the novice course on their website looked really useful. Main attraction is getting to prance about in white, though.
I won't have to work because of the bursary, I'm getting my meals cooked for me and scouts come and empty my bins.

I actually becoming less independant by moving to Oxford :tongue:
Ooh, so I'd still be able to connect to the network and stuff? I was just worried as 2nd years on the freshers pages said that without antivirus I wouldn't be able to get on to the internet/the university network, and I don't really fancy having to spend time sorting it out in freshers when there are a lot more fun things i'd like to be doing...:redface:

I remember being confused about that too! :redface: Thing is, you can't download Sophos unless you're connected to the internet and the university network. When you connect your laptop to the ethernet port in your room (I'm assuming rooms in all colleges have one) for the first time, you'll be prompted to choose a network setting: either personal, work, or public (or something like that. I'm afraid I can't say for certain which one I selected, sorry!). You should then be able to access the internet, so just make sure one of the first things you do is download Sophos from here:

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/viruses/

(The way it mentions 'site licence' suggests to me that you won't be able to download the software until you actually get to Oxford, i.e. it probably won't work downloading from home. I could be wrong about that though!)

:smile:
never been sadly :frown:

Missing out, there's a Greggs and a Dickson's right next to each other :coma:
Original post by Jeykayem
I remember being confused about that too! :redface: Thing is, you can't download Sophos unless you're connected to the internet and the university network. When you connect your laptop to the ethernet port in your room (I'm assuming rooms in all colleges have one) for the first time, you'll be prompted to choose a network setting: either personal, work, or public (or something like that. I'm afraid I can't say for certain which one I selected, sorry!). You should then be able to access the internet, so just make sure one of the first things you do is download Sophos from here:

(The way it mentions 'site licence' suggests to me that you won't be able to download the software until you actually get to Oxford, i.e. it probably won't work downloading from home. I could be wrong about that though!)

You're right on that. I downloaded it last night on my Macbook and spent 2 hours figuring out why it wouldn't initiate before I came to the same conclusion as you.
Original post by deFossard
Definitely looks worth joining, the novice course on their website looked really useful. Main attraction is getting to prance about in white, though.

And there was me thinking the main attraction was being legally allowed to swing a sword at people.
Clearly I'm a total barbarian.
Nah we didn't have prefects either.
I do know 'Prudda'! Haven't spent much time there though...doesn't sound like I should

Were you at Keble for interviews? I was too! but probably at a different time to historians

Where did you go to school? (again, if you don't mind posting on here)
Prudhoe isn't really thattttttt bad, just pretty awful compared to Hexham and the like.

Nope I wasn't, I applied to New, so only had the one interview at Keble and didn't stay there for any amount of time...literally just came for the interview then left. :colondollar:
Original post by Jeykayem

Thank you! I would pos rep you but I have none left. :redface:
I am really not very tech savvy, but I think I have the idea of what I need to do now!
Clearly I'm a total barbarian.

I hope you're not saying this like it's a bad thing...
Original post by LtCommanderData
I feel your pain! Also, my freshers' timetable doesn't list maths & CS (or just CS) in any of the 'subject A, B, and C do this and that at this time' bits. I guess I'll just go to all the maths ones.

Don't panic! You'll get more information when you arrive. And tutors are there to help you.

If you're not sure what courses you'll be taking, you could look at last year's course handbook at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/files/3267/Handbook%202010.pdf (you'll receive an updated version when you arrive).

Gavin
Reply 4079
^ I looked through that and then pieced together the lecture times from the Mathematicians' and Computer Scientists' sections on the Maths Institute lecture lists, but Introduction to Pure Mathematics seems to clash with Functional Programming in 1st week I think. Then I counted the number of lectures I'll need to understand each week, panicked, and stopped looking for any more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending