The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Warwick AWARDS

One thing a few people have asked is about how to convey circumstances, which have had an impact on their academic performance, but do not necessarily fit within the standard UCAS form.

The answer may be Warwick AWARDS. As our website says

AWARDS was established to enable you to provide us with information to supplement your UCAS form. At Warwick we make offers to high achieving students who we feel will get the most from our degrees, but we realise that many applicants have faced challenges which have prevented them from doing as well as they could. It is not often easy or appropriate to explain personal circumstances on the UCAS form, but we want to provide an opportunity for you to tell us about them more fully. We can then take this information into account when considering your application

If this sound like something which may fit your situation, please visit the website at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/awards/ to learn more, and for info on how to apply.

I can't answer specific questions relating to AWARDS, but do email [email protected] if you need more info.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 81
Original post by zaina94

Also I have another question. I did AS Economics early, and decided carry on at A2 last year, so I've completed the A Level and I got an A*. Would this A* mean i could be offered an AAB place? (if I were lucky enough to be made an offer of course ha) I just wasn't sure whether this is only the case for A Level Maths, since it is compulsory (and reading a previous post). Also a lot of my school teachers have said universities will make offers with grades I have to achieve in my current subjects, and not reduce offers based on what I have already achieved. (I'm doing 3 other A2s currently, and an AS in further maths)

I'm predicted high enough in my other subjects, I'm just unsure whether my economics grade will be taken into account.

Thanks again!

In essence, we just make an offer based on what you will have completed by results day 2012. If your application tells us you've completed 1 A2 level already, and will be completing 3 more this year, you'll receive our standard 4 A2 offer of A*AAB
Reply 82
Original post by Tateco
Some other universities ask for UMS scores to be put into the UCAS form when applying for economics, so UMS will be available on the form (in the module grades of A-levels), will Warwick consider UMS marks if they are given when reviewing an applicant?

yes, we will take into account that information when it appears on an application form.
Reply 83
Original post by JOR2010
Thanks for your advice, it's a bit disheartening to hear you discount me as a 'linguist' when I only learned English ten years ago! But to discount me as a linguist, you can't discount German, since that's completely different to English, right? Anyway, good to hear some real feedback, much appreciated.

I wasn't referring to your specific situation, just speaking in general terms, giving an example where such a thing may happen.
Reply 84
Original post by ...mo...
Hi.
At GCSE I underperformed as was only able to acheive A* AAAA BBBB CCCC (A in maths and english lit.)

This was a real wake up call for me and I decided to be more focused on my studies. I acheived AAAA at AS and have an A*A*A prediction.

How much of a disadvantage would my GCSE's be and would it be worth using one of my 5 choices for Warick if I have a very slim chance of being made an offer?

I would say that your GCSE results are below those of the majority of our successful applicants, and hence you would be at somewhat of a disadvantage in that we prefer to see as strong an academic profile as possible, but it may be you wish to apply using Warwick AWARDS (as above) to convey some more information about your circumstances to us.
Reply 85
Original post by economyst
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your time in helping us out;I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Will post A level students who are taking a gap year be at an advantage provided their A levels are above the standard offer? So If I have 2/3A*'s in respectable A levels will I be more likely to get an offer?

2. If someone applies who had previously applied last year and been rejected would you know? Would it come up on your system that this applicant was previously rejected? If yes, would you read his old personal statement and reference? How would you treat such an applicant?

3. If I want to get all of my UMS scores in every exam to you, would the admissions tutor at Warwick mind if in the UCAS form, instead of choosing your grades from the drop down box, you put the grades along with the UMS in the "other" box next to it?

4. Are post A level students with stellar A levels but pathetic GCSE's going to get a relatively quicker offer than everyone else provided they send their application of early (mid October).

Thanks, I am sure your time is much appreciated by us all.

I'll go point by point

1. I don't think it would necessarily be an advantage, because we typically see predictions at, or in excess, of our standard offers in most situations, and we would expect you to achieve those grades if they are predicted, so it would be comparable to having those grades as predictions.

2. I know that, when I receive applications, I don't see whether the person has applied before or not, but I receive applications after they have been through our central admissions office, so they may be able to see such information there, and hence it's simply not something I'm aware of. As such, I don't know the answer unfortunately, but [email protected] may be able to tell you.

3. No problem, as long as it shows up on what I read.

4. I don't think that would have an impact on our speed of decision.
Reply 86
Original post by Confused101
Hi, how disadvantaged would a student on a gap year and retaking exams be?

I got AAB but was very close to A*AA and so will be retaking two exams to achieve A*AA. I will also be taking up Economics A2 (after dropping the AS at year 12) and be predicted an A* due to achieving 90%+ in AS. My subjects are all "hard" subjects, being Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
Another uni said that the Economics a level will be considered as normal since I will be doing the A2 exams in the required one year, first time. Does this also apply to Warwick?

My GCSEs aren't really up to standard to Econ at Warwick either, being A*A*A*A*AAAAB....

So taking into account my sub-par GCSEs and my two exam retakes, but also my A*A*AA prediction (Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry respectively) and having a great personal statement/reference, do you think I would be too weighed down by my disadvantages to receive an offer for the course?

I know it's hard to say atm and it's all subjective to other applicants, but surely you can give some sort of opinion or info?

I can't really speak to retakes in gap years, as I typically don't see applications which have that kind of structure. If you email [email protected] they may be able to give you some more clarity on how that would work.

The course is competitive, and, as you mention, it's all relative to the standard of other applicants, so it's certainly not easy to get an offer from us, but I don't think you have circumstances which would completely rule it out.
What percentage of overseas applications would you say get offers to read undergraduate economics at Warwick?
Reply 88
Original post by University of Warwick

1. I don't think it would necessarily be an advantage, because we typically see predictions at, or in excess, of our standard offers in most situations, and we would expect you to achieve those grades if they are predicted, so it would be comparable to having those grades as predictions.

You would expect students to achieve the grades they are predicted, but from previous application cycles and experience you must be aware that many people are predicted above what they are actually going to achieve. It might even be that proportionately, more people don't meet their predictions than those who do. Despite that, you would view 3/4/5 A*'s achieved as being equal to being predicted 3/4/5 A*'s?

And can AWARDS be used to simply explain poor GCSE performance even though there were no major mitigating circumstances?

Thanks.
Reply 89
Original post by University of Warwick
In essence, we just make an offer based on what you will have completed by results day 2012. If your application tells us you've completed 1 A2 level already, and will be completing 3 more this year, you'll receive our standard 4 A2 offer of A*AAB

Thanks! :smile:

Also, is it true that Warwick require an A* at GCSE in maths?

I understand a strong mathematical ability is required for economics, especially at Warwick. However I haven't read that this is a formal requirement anywhere on your site, but someone has mentioned it, and I just wanted to clear up whether this is just a rumour or actually the case.
Reply 90
Hi, I am currently doing 4 A level: Economics, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, however have now decided to take up AS further maths this year to enhance my mathematical ability. Therefore as I fit into both offers, which one will I be given, or will I be given a choice?
Reply 91
I have just finished my gcse and have started a level in economics maths history and biology and I am going to take them further to a2. I have an cie igcse qualification in business a * history a* and literature b. My gcse maths was an A along with my science double award were i got both A's. My english language was a B and both my spanish and PE were C? Have my GCSE results let me down for applying into university's like yourself, LSE, birmingham business, LBS and others? I have done a Learn2lead prograame with procter and gamble and duke of endinburgh award bronze.
Reply 92
Original post by zaina94
Thanks! :smile:

Also, is it true that Warwick require an A* at GCSE in maths?

I understand a strong mathematical ability is required for economics, especially at Warwick. However I haven't read that this is a formal requirement anywhere on your site, but someone has mentioned it, and I just wanted to clear up whether this is just a rumour or actually the case.

I think an A grade is whats said on the website, but getting an A* is standard. Most will have it, so it will help you if you to have it.
Reply 93
Original post by sadiqamaan
I have just finished my gcse and have started a level in economics maths history and biology and I am going to take them further to a2. I have an cie igcse qualification in business a * history a* and literature b. My gcse maths was an A along with my science double award were i got both A's. My english language was a B and both my spanish and PE were C? Have my GCSE results let me down for applying into university's like yourself, LSE, birmingham business, LBS and others? I have done a Learn2lead prograame with procter and gamble and duke of endinburgh award bronze.

Why are you asking questions about your own GCSEs which you took? "both my spanish and PE were C?"
Reply 94
Original post by somaiyar
Why are you asking questions about your own GCSEs which you took? "both my spanish and PE were C?"

I was asking if my gcse are good enoughfor warick or not.
Reply 95
On average whats the percentage of GCSE's that a candidate had at A* that recieved an offer from Warwick for L100 last year?
Reply 96
Original post by funkydee
On average whats the percentage of GCSE's that a candidate had at A* that recieved an offer from Warwick for L100 last year?

good question.
Reply 97
Original post by maths time is here
What percentage of overseas applications would you say get offers to read undergraduate economics at Warwick?

I don't have that info to hand unfortunately.

I can say that our course entry is competitive for both Home/EU and Overseas students, though we are not limited by central Government funding control numbers for Overseas in the same way we are for HEU, so we tend to have a bit more flexibility, where capacity permits, on Overseas.
Reply 98
Original post by economyst
You would expect students to achieve the grades they are predicted, but from previous application cycles and experience you must be aware that many people are predicted above what they are actually going to achieve. It might even be that proportionately, more people don't meet their predictions than those who do. Despite that, you would view 3/4/5 A*'s achieved as being equal to being predicted 3/4/5 A*'s?

And can AWARDS be used to simply explain poor GCSE performance even though there were no major mitigating circumstances?

Thanks.

While it is certainly true that some people who we have offered places to don't meet our offer, it is also true that people can exceed both our offer and their prediction. If there is any difference between achieved and predicted, I think it's small from an application standpoint.

For example, I don't tend to look more favourably on those who have "cashed in" their Maths A2-Level after one year, and achieved an A, than those who have achieved A grades in their AS Maths modules, and are predicted an A at A2.

As for AWARDS, as I mentioned earlier, it's not something which is department specific, so I would check the website for such information.
Reply 99
Original post by Aluu93
Hi, thank you for answering all these questions its really helpful

I was wondering how much importance do you attach to the Maths A level prediction i.e were someone to get an A*AA prediction with the A* being in maths, would that candidate be preferred over someone who has an A*AA prediction with the A* being in another subject or a 2A*A prediction with the A being in maths?

We care about Maths, so obviously the prediction is something I'm interested in, but I think the difference would be small in the specific example you give.

Quick Reply

Latest