The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linkdapink

Original post by linkdapink
Well it depends on what we're talking about here. Council - no way. That would just cause so much of an uproar, it would be ridiculous. Private - yes, and a lot.

The council will still support the company and not the people, councils are as corrupted as government is and as corrupt as parking companies are
Original post by scorpion95
Don't they??, if not then I reckon they get a bonus for getting the highest number of tickets handed out

Evidence?
Reply 62
My mum thought she was going to be late back to her car today so went back in advance about 15 minutes before the three hour ticket ran out and put another hour on it. She now wonders if she might get a ticket for returning to put another ticket on within three hours as there was a no return within three hours sign. Where is the logic in this? What do they want people to do, overstay their original ticket? It wasn't as if they'd have made more money if my mum originally got a ticket for four hours - they made 40p extra because she got the three hour one and then an hour. Hardly anyone parks in the car park concerned any more since they hiked the charges by like 2/3 times the original so it's not like they need the space.
Original post by DanielMonopoly
So if your persistent they'll drop it? When should one appeal and when should you not?

It's not a simple case of "keep on and they'll give up". But if you have grounds, do take it as high as possible, and, if you can risk the £200/300 financial hit, to court if necessary.

Quite often appeal one will be seen by some bovine office drone with all the cognitive ability of an aubergine, who will stamp it as "failed" if it doesn't tick some box or other. If you take it high enough, it will eventually reach someone with some common sense, even if that person has to be a judge in small claims or the magistrates' court or however they choose to penalise you.
Original post by michael321

Original post by michael321
It's not a simple case of "keep on and they'll give up". But if you have grounds, do take it as high as possible, and, if you can risk the £200/300 financial hit, to court if necessary.

Quite often appeal one will be seen by some bovine office drone with all the cognitive ability of an aubergine, who will stamp it as "failed" if it doesn't tick some box or other. If you take it high enough, it will eventually reach someone with some common sense, even if that person has to be a judge in small claims or the magistrates' court or however they choose to penalise you.

True :smile:
I feel so sorry for that person! They're always around when you're late or having a terrible day, and just what you don't need is a fine on top of that. Although saying that, if he knew the queue in the post office was long he shouldn't really have stayed.. But then, the parking attendant probably stood by the person's car waiting for the ticket to run out, which is a pathetic.

I've accidentally been late twice back to my car in the last month, ran back almost in tears and in a massive panic only to find there are NO parking attendants to be seen. But I bet you, the one time I don't bother to hurry back, they'll be there, waiting. :ninja:
Original post by siani-chan

Original post by siani-chan
I feel so sorry for that person! They're always around when you're late or having a terrible day, and just what you don't need is a fine on top of that. Although saying that, if he knew the queue in the post office was long he shouldn't really have stayed.. But then, the parking attendant probably stood by the person's car waiting for the ticket to run out, which is a pathetic.

I've accidentally been late twice back to my car in the last month, ran back almost in tears and in a massive panic only to find there are NO parking attendants to be seen. But I bet you, the one time I don't bother to hurry back, they'll be there, waiting. :ninja:

Are parking attendants allowed to stand next to your car and wait for the time to expire?
was it a councel one?

if not, they cant do anything aside from threatening letters for not paying.
Original post by DanielMonopoly
Are parking attendants allowed to stand next to your car and wait for the time to expire?

I don't even know, I should hope not but I bet they do! They probably just keep an eye on your car, and move onto checking other cars in the meantime.
Reply 70
Teh so called: "Parking Enforcement Officer" in my area pulls strings for his mates in the Mini Cab office down the street. He gives everyone else tickets where it isn't called for.

London Borough of Ealing has some right scum working as LOL: "Enforcement Officers"

Yeah so is that more or less important than "Police Community Support Officer"

:rofl:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Teh so called: "Parking Enforcement Officer" in my area pulls strings for his mates in the Mini Cab office down the street. He gives everyone else tickets where it isn't called for.

London Borough of Ealing has some right scum working as LOL: "Enforcement Officers"

Yeah so is that more or less important than "Police Community Support Officer"

:rofl:

That aint right :/
Reply 72
So long as they have the photos now they will take your reg and send you a summons in the post for the offence, I think! :s-smilie: :biggrin:
My mum got a ticket before for a place she hadn't even been, she was in a shopping centre with pay and display and came back to her car to find a ticket for having parked on the street somewhere a few miles away. So a council attendant actually came into the shopping centre car park that wasn't even owned by them, took the time to write out a false ticket, and then even went to court to attest that my mum was there, even though the pay and display ticket she had bought proves that she was in fact in the shopping centre at that time, plus the receipts for the items she had bought.

It must be awful being that desperate to give someone a ticket.
councils are bastards for this. They will reject most informal appeals out of principle regardless of the facts. Even after you get the NTO they will often reject the appeal.

An example, i parked on a street and got a ticket for parking in a residential bay. The restriction signs had been removed from the entire street by pikeys some time in the previous few days so therefore under the traffic regulations, none of the the restrictions could be enforced.

Also common sense says you cannot penalise someone for parking somewhere where there are no signs or markings indicating a restriction......

however stoke council morons rejected the informal appeal. They also claimed that the sign was present, despite the fact i had CCTV footage showing the sign being missing. They rejected the footage saying it was too grainy (despite it being D1 standard) and the sign being clearly visible a few days previously which i sent them as a comparison.: ie heres the sign present, heres it not present.

They also refused to send me the original uncropped/unedited photos taken by the attendant. Took a solicitors letter to get the full photos. The full photos taken by the womble mong clearly showed the post with no sign on it. So the idiot had dropped himself in it.

The mongs refused to accept that, then claiming that as I live not far away i should have "known" it was a residential area!!! Clearly thats rediculous as the law is absolute, not "he should have known" or "he might have not known so we will give benefit of doubt".

funnily enough i won the appeal when i took it national.

Although the council have ignored the fact i won the appeal and are still trying to pursue me for the money LOL. the random debt collectors are trying to get me to pay up £470 for a £35 ticket and are claiming they will take me to court and clamp my car and all sorts. bring it on, they dont know who they are f_cking with!!
(edited 12 years ago)
People have said if it was a company owned car park to ignore it. What do you think about that?
Reply 76
Original post by Clip
Yes. A PCN has to be issued to be legal. That means it has to be put on your windscreen or placed in your hand. This is why they take photos of them.

If you drive away or even move your car to another space before the PCN is issued, there is nothing they can do.

Note that you can only do this with PCNs issued by local authority parking attendants.

PCNs issued by Police Officers or Police Traffic Wardens are issued under different law and you must never drive away from them.

thats not true at all!

the only enforceable tickets/penalty notices/fines for your car are those issued by police/council traffic wardens - ones issued by private companies who manager car parks (ncp, town + city parking, europark, local firms etc) are not enforceable. the tickets are signs are written in a way so you think they are.

challenge me all you want on this.
i used to work for a private car park management firm (quit three days ago).
we take advantage of the gullible and those who think its official.

i didnt enjoy doing it so much, but it was my job.
Reply 77
Original post by Clip
Right, so essentially in your area, people have voluntarily created a "bye-law" whereby Parking Attendants can issue PCNs without having to be anywhere near your vehicle?

Fantastic precedent for the rest of the country.

The way to have dealt with that would have been to have waited for the postal PCN and paid the reduced amount, citing the apparently known factor of your local scrotes.

Instead, what has been created is an extra power for parking attendants who could now sit in a cafe, wait to see drivers jump out of their cars, and remotely log the PCNs without ever having to approach the vehicle.

As someone who knows the laws of parking governance like the back of my hand (yawn yawn) and does not need to read forums because much of it is inaccurate, you do speak a lot of sense.

However, photos are not a prerequisite. It is really if the PCN is appealled where the council would have to take the view whether to contest it in court.

Bye-laws by the way are mainly for the purposes of private land holders making their PCN's legitimate 'penalties'.
Reply 78

That's a crap article with so many inaccuracies it is not funny.
Original post by Boristhethird

Original post by Boristhethird
was it a councel one?

if not, they cant do anything aside from threatening letters for not paying.

Seriously?