The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

do they tell you after the phone interview if you havnt been succesful or only if you have? thanks
Reply 21
Original post by And then...
Surely all those questions are just common sense?

Yeah, I thought that too but it seems to obvious, why would you have to research for that? These are the answers I'll use but I didn't have to research for them :/ That's what makes me think maybe there's more to it.

* what do Debenhams do and what do we sell? Debenhams sell a range of clothes, shoes, beauty products and home accessories.

* who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer? I think Debenhams customers are mainly women and the services include Instore ordering service, a free personal shopper and bra fitting.

* what sort of organisation are we? A chain of department stores

* who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street? House of Fraser, Marks & Spencers and John Lewis.

* what is the job likely to involve? Working on the tills, helping in the fittings rooms, cleaning and sorting displays, restocking items and approaching customers that I see need some help .

* how can you best fit your skills to match the job? I feel my attention to detail will be a plus in idenifying when a customer needs assistance, my enthusiastic attitude towards helping others and completing tasks will be a great fit for this job and also having previous customer service experience will be a plus.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by molliexoxo

do they tell you after the phone interview if you havnt been succesful or only if you have? thanks

I'm not sure, from what I've read they might say 'you'll be contacted if you're successful but if you haven't heard from us within 21 days then consider you've been unsuccessful on this occasion.' but I'm not sure, she just told me after a couple minutes on hold that I was successful.

Have you got a telephone interview with them?
Reply 23
Original post by wikkywoo
As far as the assessment centres go, mine was for a role in a brand new store so they were hiring a greater number of people. However, firstly we had to sit round a large table and state one true fact about ourselves and one false one, the other people in the group had to then guess which was true and which was false by asking a series of questions. Secondly, I *think* we were given a hand out of the different departments within the store and the clothing brands within the store and the demographic of people that were most likely to buy from a certain department I think we talked about that and there was some sort of exercise around it.

It all ended with a one on one interview where they asked you more or less the same questions as they did in the telephone interview and the application form.

I would definitely say to present yourself as confident and where possible, initiate conversation with others. It helped me previously.

Anyway, good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the tips :smile: I'm nervous as hell! I have anxiety and group talking isn't something I'm comfortable with but I was expecting that you had to stand up alone in front of 20 people watching you and try to 'sell' and item.

In my telephone interview I was really nervous and the woman sort of hinted to help me extend my answers and she said I have great customer service experience and that she's made a note on my application that I need to be confident so now they're going to be keeping an eye on me to be confident :| haha and good luck with you too! :smile:

Do you think I'll be allowed to take a notepad in with me to make notes? and should I take my CV and application form into my one on one interview?
Original post by xDivax90x
I'm not sure, from what I've read they might say 'you'll be contacted if you're successful but if you haven't heard from us within 21 days then consider you've been unsuccessful on this occasion.' but I'm not sure, she just told me after a couple minutes on hold that I was successful.

Have you got a telephone interview with them?

yeah ive got mine tomorrow, really nervous!
ohh okay thanks
Reply 25

yeah ive got mine tomorrow, really nervous!
ohh okay thanks

Good luck! I will say don't have too many notes in front of you because I had about 4 pages of notes/questions/answers in front of me and she only asked me 2 questions off my notes so I got really flustered when trying to find the right notes for the question she was asking me :smile:

Got my fingers crossed for you!

* what do Debenhams do and what do we sell? Debnehams offer a range of premium products with a high reputation. (You only touched on what they sell)

* who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer? Anybody who comes through the door (then expand on the services).

* who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street? Any other department store. (There could be local department stores so don't touch on names unless asked IMO of course)

* what is the job likely to involve? (What you said +) Maintaining the companies service standards.

My opinion on a few of the things you've already touched on. Don't take it as these are the answers and any other answer is wrong, they are all just what I'd expect to answer with.
Yeah, I thought that too but it seems to obvious, why would you have to research for that? These are the answers I'll use but I didn't have to research for them :/ That's what makes me think maybe there's more to it.

* what do Debenhams do and what do we sell? Debenhams sell a range of clothes, shoes, beauty products and home accessories.

* who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer? I think Debenhams customers are mainly women and the services include Instore ordering service, a free personal shopper and bra fitting.

* what sort of organisation are we? A chain of department stores

* who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street? House of Fraser, Marks & Spencers and John Lewis.

* what is the job likely to involve? Working on the tills, helping in the fittings rooms, cleaning and sorting displays, restocking items and approaching customers that I see need some help .

* how can you best fit your skills to match the job? I feel my attention to detail will be a plus in idenifying when a customer needs assistance, my enthusiastic attitude towards helping others and completing tasks will be a great fit for this job and also having previous customer service experience will be a plus.

Mention something about going out of your way to help customers, and making sure you help the store reach it's account targets, they're huge on getting customer accounts
Reply 28
I posted a reply to your other thread about this also.

Honestly, relax. They just want to see that you will put the customer first. All the answers you have given are what they are looking for.

They want bubbly, cheerful approachable and friendly staff! Staff who will put themselves out there and bend over backwards to help people :smile:

Everyone will be nervous but by the time you get to the interview (the one to one bit) you will be clued up as to what kind of people they want.

Their main customers are over 25's I think and not just women, lots of men :smile:
x

Relax! It is honestly not that difficult! Just make sure that you stand out. Dress to kill and don't be shy! They want to see out-going and bubbly individuals. The 1 2 1 interview is your chance though. They will basically go through the questions from the online application. So, do all your research and you will be fine! Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I'd be happy to help. :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Minksthe1

Original post by Minksthe1
I posted a reply to your other thread about this also.

Honestly, relax. They just want to see that you will put the customer first. All the answers you have given are what they are looking for.

They want bubbly, cheerful approachable and friendly staff! Staff who will put themselves out there and bend over backwards to help people :smile:

Everyone will be nervous but by the time you get to the interview (the one to one bit) you will be clued up as to what kind of people they want.

Their main customers are over 25's I think and not just women, lots of men :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: Just want to be really prepared and my nerves are kicking my arse -_- :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by whattheheck

Relax! It is honestly not that difficult! Just make sure that you stand out. Dress to kill and don't be shy! They want to see out-going and bubbly individuals. The 1 2 1 interview is your chance though. They will basically go through the questions from the online application. So, do all your research and you will be fine! Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I'd be happy to help. :smile:

I'm just so nervous I think I've 'over researched' the interview and freaked myself out because so many stores do different exercises and I just hope there isn't a role play or the 'sell' exercise on my assessment :frown:

What did you have to do on your assessment day? and do you get asked alot of 'give me an example of when...' :smile:
I'm just so nervous I think I've 'over researched' the interview and freaked myself out because so many stores do different exercises and I just hope there isn't a role play or the 'sell' exercise on my assessment :frown:

What did you have to do on your assessment day? and do you get asked alot of 'give me an example of when...' :smile:

I actually went to 2 Debenhams assessments for different stores and got both jobs! Ok, so the first one I had to write 3 facts about myself. 2 had to be true and 1 had to be false. Then we completed an activity where we had to think of words that represented customer service. You will most definitely do an exercise on the shop floor. We had to go out and identify customer wows and rescues. So basically what was good about the store and what needed "rescuing". Lastly was the 1 2 1 interview. Everything will be explained to you thoroughly.

The second one was similar but instead we had to write 5 words to describe ourselves.

Don't be nervous!! Just be as enthusiastic and energetic as possible. Talk to the other candidates. Ask general questions like " are you working currently" or " are you at college". Just light conversation. The assessors will be watching to see how you interact with others.

Yes, there are alot of "name a time when" questions. But nothing to worry about. Do you have previous experience?
Reply 33

I actually went to 2 Debenhams assessments for different stores and got both jobs! Ok, so the first one I had to write 3 facts about myself. 2 had to be true and 1 had to be false. Then we completed an activity where we had to think of words that represented customer service. You will most definitely do an exercise on the shop floor. We had to go out and identify customer wows and rescues. So basically what was good about the store and what needed "rescuing". Lastly was the 1 2 1 interview. Everything will be explained to you thoroughly.

The second one was similar but instead we had to write 5 words to describe ourselves.

Don't be nervous!! Just be as enthusiastic and energetic as possible. Talk to the other candidates. Ask general questions like " are you working currently" or " are you at college". Just light conversation. The assessors will be watching to see how you interact with others.

Yes, there are alot of "name a time when" questions. But nothing to worry about. Do you have previous experience?

I have worked as a shop assistant in 2 shops a sunbed shop and a dvd rental and I've worked in a cattery. I don't have any retail clothing experience. But the woman on the phone said from my answers it seems like I have excellent customer service skills. I hope we have to do the 'wow' and 'rescue' exercise.

I think I have a few answers for 'give me an example when...' knowing my luck I'll get the ones I've not prepared for haha. I don't have an answer for when did you do team work though.

Thanks for your help btw :smile:
I have worked as a shop assistant in 2 shops a sunbed shop and a dvd rental and I've worked in a cattery. I don't have any retail clothing experience. But the woman on the phone said from my answers it seems like I have excellent customer service skills. I hope we have to do the 'wow' and 'rescue' exercise.

I think I have a few answers for 'give me an example when...' knowing my luck I'll get the ones I've not prepared for haha. I don't have an answer for when did you do team work though.

Thanks for your help btw :smile:

That is ok.

The questions are (off the top of my head)

A time you received/gave good customer service. What was good/bad.

What do you think makes good C-S

Who are Debs competitors. What makes Debs different from them.

When did you work in a team. (Just say during your time at (said work place) it was essential that you were aware of your team role so that there was fluidity and the customer received the best possible service at every point in there shopping experience)

Why Debs.

Then other eligibility q's. If I think of any more I will let you know. Just revise what is on the app. That is basically what they ask. Again, relax and be yourself! Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you look immaculate! Appearance does count!
Reply 35

That is ok.

The questions are (off the top of my head)

A time you received/gave good customer service. What was good/bad.

What do you think makes good C-S

Who are Debs competitors. What makes Debs different from them.

When did you work in a team. (Just say during your time at (said work place) it was essential that you were aware of your team role so that there was fluidity and the customer received the best possible service at every point in there shopping experience)

Why Debs.

Then other eligibility q's. If I think of any more I will let you know. Just revise what is on the app. That is basically what they ask. Again, relax and be yourself! Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you look immaculate! Appearance does count!

Ahh I had answers written down for those questions so I feel a little better for the interview, expect the team one and what makes Debs different from the other competitors :smile: I'll get some answers written for them

Thanks and Thanks! :biggrin:
Ahh I had answers written down for those questions so I feel a little better for the interview, expect the team one and what makes Debs different from the other competitors :smile: I'll get some answers written for them

Thanks and Thanks! :biggrin:

For the Debs is different q, say their exceptional customer service. Although, Next and M&s have similar clientele, the service you receive in Debs sets it apart.
Reply 37

For the Debs is different q, say their exceptional customer service. Although, Next and M&s have similar clientele, the service you receive in Debs sets it apart.

Thanks :smile: As for an answer for if 'last time you used your initiative in work' pops up will this do or should I think of another one?

While working in the DVD shop we would have posters on the windows of recently released DVDs and older DVDs that we now had in store. Also on the shop door we had a list of DVDs and the dates that we would have them instore. It was a hot day so the door was open so no one really noticed the sign on the door and the odd few people were asking when 'this dvd would be in' When it was quiet I decided to rearrange the posters on the window I put the recently released posters closer to eye level and put the rest around them. Also moved the sign off the door and put it in the lowel corner of the window where passers by could see it.

and for solving a problem/problem customer/helped someone?

Working in the DVD shop a woman came in and I could tell she was frustrated, I asked if she was looking for anything specific and she said that she had been in 3 times this week looking to rent this one dvd and the 3 times she had been in there hadn't been a copy left for her to rent. She wasn't exactly being polite and was getting annoyed at me as if it was my fault, I was quite nervous with the way she was speaking to me and I asked her what dvd she was looking for and I checked the system for when the next copy was set to be returned which was that day, I asked for her membership details and told her that we have her phone number and if she's lucky the dvd might be returned before closing and I'll give her a call if not I'd give her a call the next day and hold it behind the counter for 1 day. She seemed happy with the result, thanked me and left.

They are both perfect! But for the second one, don't mention that you became nervous! Just say that she was acting quite rude and was obviously disgruntled.

Good luck, AGAIN! Lol. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!
Reply 39
hey guys :smile: i've got my telephone interview tomorrow and im so nervous : / but all ur tips are helpful! thanks!

just wondering which store in what area have you applied for?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending