The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7460
what unis look at like top 8 or 9 for GCSE and what ones look at all of your gcses?
Does anyone know how Bristol, Birmingham and Nottingham process their applications? As in, do they wait until the 15th October deadline to start processing or do they start straight away?

I'm just worried that, if my school doesn't hurry up and write my reference, my chances of getting an interview could be reduced because they will have already filled their 'quota'.
Reply 7462
is 662.5 for ukcat ok for edinburgh or a waste of a uni choice?
Original post by atomos
yeah something along those lines to show you understand the disadvantages as well as the positives. i can only think it would go against you if you just said 'i come from a medical family so i know all about medicine' without expanding then it would go against you.

yeah, since im a reapplicant i don't think it would be viable to take a second gap year so chemistry at edinburgh is going to be mine. what about you?

thanks atomos, yeah me too I think I will put something like Medical science or Healthcare Science at birmingham/nottingham but may take a gap year if i don't get in this time round
Reply 7464
UCAS Doneeeeeeee! Feels good to know not to worry about choices and PS and what-not! :biggrin:
Reply 7465
Original post by Nator
UCAS Doneeeeeeee! Feels good to know not to worry about choices and PS and what-not! :biggrin:

gratz! what are you application stats and where did you apply?
I hope to have mine done next week *fingers crossed*
Reply 7466
Original post by Sophia56

i think their minimum is 650, but i cant be 100% on it. if that is the case you're borderline but having strong academics, ps and ref may give you the boost you need.
Reply 7467
Original post by .eXe
gratz! what are you application stats and where did you apply?
I hope to have mine done next week *fingers crossed*

Thanks a lot! Choices in my sig, and as for stats I have 8A*2A at GCSE, UKCAT of 752.5, 4A's at AS and 4A*'s predicted for A2. Hbu? And good luck! :smile:
Original post by cakeyface99
Does anyone know how Bristol, Birmingham and Nottingham process their applications? As in, do they wait until the 15th October deadline to start processing or do they start straight away?

I'm just worried that, if my school doesn't hurry up and write my reference, my chances of getting an interview could be reduced because they will have already filled their 'quota'.

I would think it's unlikely that if you submit your on say the 13th Oct you'd get out right rejected because you were later than others. Tbh the way some medical schools don't get back, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them just started looking at them from December lol
Reply 7469
Original post by Nator
Thanks a lot! Choices in my sig, and as for stats I have 8A*2A at GCSE, UKCAT of 752.5, 4A's at AS and 4A*'s predicted for A2. Hbu? And good luck! :smile:

Wow amazing ukcat!!
Im an international applicant
607 ukcat :frown:
3.90 GPA
hopefully, my low ukcat won't hurt me too much :tongue:
thanks! and good luck to you too although with your ukcat skills you should be fine lol :smile:
Reply 7470
Original post by Quackers93
I would think it's unlikely that if you submit your on say the 13th Oct you'd get out right rejected because you were later than others. Tbh the way some medical schools don't get back, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them just started looking at them from December lol

I don't believe any of the schools process anything until after thedeadline cause it was my understanding that only after the 15th could they access ucas data and see applicant files

but i could be 100% wrong lol
Reply 7471
Original post by .eXe
Wow amazing ukcat!!
Im an international applicant
607 ukcat :frown:
3.90 GPA
hopefully, my low ukcat won't hurt me too much :tongue:
thanks! and good luck to you too although with your ukcat skills you should be fine lol :smile:

Thanks haha, and don't worry it's still fine :smile:
No problem and thanks a lot! Only applying to 2 UKCAT unis, need to focus on the BMAT! :smile:
Reply 7472
Hey need some advice where to apply and what my chances are

GCSES - 6 A*s 3 As 1 C ( :frown: yh i know i hate French)

AS - A - CHEM A - BIO A - GEOG B - ECON (resitting in jan to get A, but will this help)

A2 predictions - A*AA

UKCAT - 612.5 ( I know poor :frown: )

Voluntary - special needs school, hospital, primary school , special needs sports

Work exp - Pathology lab, GP surgery , Orthopaedic and trauma adult, paediatric orthopaedic, anesthesilogist. Was able to go in to theatre

thinking of applying

Liverpool
St Georges
Bristol
Keele/Leeds

What do you think my chances of getting an interview or place with my choices, general advice would be great too.

My personal statement is coming a long well too

reeeeealllly would appreciate some help and advice and feed back :smile:
Original post by .eXe
I don't believe any of the schools process anything until after thedeadline cause it was my understanding that only after the 15th could they access ucas data and see applicant files

but i could be 100% wrong lol

I'm not sure but my application was sent before start of October and I got a letter from Aberdeen saying they'd recieved my application on 1st October so who knows
Original post by Sophia56

as long as everything else is good then its fine.
i have friends at edinburgh this year and they told me someone in their year only got 2450 in their ukcat, and theres probably people with less. they don't have a cut off, they use quartiles and give you a score.
Guys my UKCAT score is 710.

Any advice on where I should be applying? vaguely ...
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
Guys my UKCAT score is 710.

Any advice on where I should be applying? vaguely ...

Sounds good for pretty much any uni as you've passed the magic 700 score boundary :biggrin:

One I would be cautious of is Sheffield as their cutoff was 717.5 last year, but it is predicted to go down... so thats up to you

You'd benefit from going for UKCAT-heavy unis such as newcastle
And you'd get the 1 extra point on your scoring for leeds

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Sounds good for pretty much any uni as you've passed the magic 700 score boundary :biggrin:

One I would be cautious of is Sheffield as their cutoff was 717.5 last year, but it is predicted to go down... so thats up to you

You'd benefit from going for UKCAT-heavy unis such as newcastle
And you'd get the 1 extra point on your scoring for leeds

Hope that helps :smile:

hmm, that does help thanks! prob won't apply to Sheffield, it's too risky.

good luck with your results if you haven't already done the test :smile:
Reply 7478
I'm just filling in my UCAS form and it says "NOTE:
The following admissions test is required for entry on this course:
UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)." Does this mean they haven't received my UKCAT score because I've completed my UKCAT.
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Besakt
I'm just filling in my UCAS form and it says "NOTE:
The following admissions test is required for entry on this course:
UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)." Does this mean they haven't received my UKCAT score because I've completed my UKCAT.

Well, seeing as you haven't even sent off your application yet, why would they have your UKCAT score? lol