The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6340
I filled everything out, reference is sent, now I only have to hit send... Ah I am scared; I'd better print everything and read it on paper again ^^".

EDIT: SEND! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6341
I guess it's worth taking a shot. :P

Username: Tyron3
GCSEs: 4A*, 6A, 1B
AS: AA (Physics and Chemistry)
A2: A* (Mathematics)
STEP I: 1
Predicted: A*(FM)A*(Chem)A(Physics)
Subject: Mathematics
College: Trinity

:s-smilie:
Reply 6342
Hey, does anyone have any advice on a level subject choice?
I want to study Finr Art at Oxford. Right now im at A-level and currently taking all four subjects from my first year, which are Enlish language, Fine Art, Drama and Theatre studies and English Literature. I'm predicted an A* for lang, two A's in art and drama and a B in lit.

The problem is that my teachers say I should drop literature because it's my weakest subject, but I love literature too much to waste all the time I have spent studying it.

My gut instinct is to carry on with them all, but I have the pressure of college telling me not to do so. Does anyone have any advice in what I could do?

thankyou, Mary xx
Original post by such_a_lady
Castle is apparently so oversubscribed; I bet we'll get reassigned :frown:

My son was not the most organised of people. He put in his UCAS application on January 14th, and got an interview and offer from Durham (Castle). He actually didn't like it, and is now in his 3rd year of geology at Birmingham!

Good luck to all! :smile:
Original post by Mary1994
Hey, does anyone have any advice on a level subject choice?
I want to study Finr Art at Oxford. Right now im at A-level and currently taking all four subjects from my first year, which are Enlish language, Fine Art, Drama and Theatre studies and English Literature. I'm predicted an A* for lang, two A's in art and drama and a B in lit.

The problem is that my teachers say I should drop literature because it's my weakest subject, but I love literature too much to waste all the time I have spent studying it.

My gut instinct is to carry on with them all, but I have the pressure of college telling me not to do so. Does anyone have any advice in what I could do?

thankyou, Mary xx

Hei, great! I'm applying for fine art as well... :biggrin: Are you applying this year? Have you done a foundation? Have you finished your portfolio? Do you have an online portfolio? Have you chosen a college? (Someone stop me from asking another 1000 questions :lol: )
Original post by Supportive mum
My son was not the most organised of people. He put in his UCAS application on January 14th, and got an interview and offer from Durham (Castle). He actually didn't like it, and is now in his 3rd year of geology at Birmingham!

Good luck to all! :smile:

Oh, why didn't he like it? :smile:
Oh, why didn't he like it? :smile:

He said it wasn't his sort of place.....full of kids from public school! Also, felt that the night life wouldn't be up to much! (It's brilliant at Birmingham!) His dad went to Durham though (St Cuthbert's Society...a long time ago!) and loved it.
Reply 6347
Original post by Tyron3
I guess it's worth taking a shot. :P

Username: Tyron3
GCSEs: 4A*, 6A, 1B
AS: AA (Physics and Chemistry)
A2: A* (Mathematics)
STEP I: 1
Predicted: A*(FM)A*(Chem)A(Physics)
Subject: Mathematics
College: Trinity

:s-smilie:

Your STEP results shows you have more than just "a shot".

Why Oxford over Cam btw? I have also sat STEP I and will be applying to Ox; curious to know why you did the same.
Reply 6348
Original post by twig
Your STEP results shows you have more than just "a shot".

Why Oxford over Cam btw? I have also sat STEP I and will be applying to Ox; curious to know why you did the same.

What is STEP?
Reply 6349
Username: Saraaaahr
GCSEs: 8A*, 3A
AS: AAAAA (Biology, Physics, Maths, Chemistry, General Studies)
Predicted: A*A*A* A (Biology)
Subject: Biochemistry
College: New

About to get my UCAS sent off, scary times !!
(and I have no idea how to put this info onto the spreadsheet :P)
Original post by Lexi C

Original post by Lexi C
What is STEP?

STEP is a set of Maths exams that Cambridge and Warwick use in their conditional offers for Maths courses. Both those universities give out way more offers than they have spaces (for example Warwick received 1700 applications and gave out 1600 offers for Maths). However a lot of people might get the A level grades, but not meet their step grades.
Original post by saraaahr
Username: Saraaaahr
GCSEs: 8A*, 3A
AS: AAAAA (Biology, Physics, Maths, Chemistry, General Studies)
Predicted: A*A*A* A (Biology)
Subject: Biochemistry
College: New

About to get my UCAS sent off, scary times !!
(and I have no idea how to put this info onto the spreadsheet :P)

I've added you and currently you're at the top of the list because Biochemistry is the first subject.

I was first (with Computer Science) for a little bit, don't expect your top spot to last...
Totally not hyperventilating after getting a confirmation from St Andrew's and logging into Track for the very first time :biggrin:

EDIT: And Durham!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Totally not hyperventilating after getting a confirmation from St Andrew's and logging into Track for the very first time :biggrin:

UCAS are taking bloody ages to process my application! It's nearly been 48 hours :tongue:

tbh I don't even need it done quickly, but still! :rant:
Original post by dnumberwang

UCAS are taking bloody ages to process my application! It's nearly been 48 hours :tongue:

tbh I don't even need it done quickly, but still! :rant:

Is it definitely UCAS that hasn't passed it on? I know that my school hasn't sent mine (despite my tutor okaying it, some adminy people in college check it over)
Original post by fluteflute
Is it definitely UCAS that hasn't passed it on? I know that my school hasn't sent mine (despite my tutor okaying it, some adminy people in college check it over)

email from ucas
Dear Dennis

We are pleased to let you know that your school, college or centre has sent us your UCAS application, which we received on 28 September 2011.

What happens next?
It will usually take up to 48 hours for us to process and send it to the universities and colleges that you have applied to. At deadlines this may be longer.

We will send you a welcome letter and Applicant Welcome Guide in the post when we have processed it. The letter is important as it lists all the courses that you have applied to as well as your Personal ID and username. Before this arrives you can find more information about what happens next.

This was yesterday morning :tongue:
This was yesterday morning :tongue:
Oooh cool :biggrin:

I wonder why it should take any time at all....

Oh I guess they have to do their Personal Statement plaigarism checky thing, so that if they detect anything they can tell the universities.
Original post by fluteflute
Oooh cool :biggrin:

I wonder why it should take any time at all....

Oh I guess they have to do their Personal Statement plaigarism checky thing, so that if they detect anything they can tell the universities.

Alright then, don't scare me :colonhash:

i know i haven't copied anyone, but still

Alright then, don't scare me :colonhash:

i know i haven't copied anyone, but still
Yeah that's why yours is taking so long :wink: :tongue:

I have a slightly amusing story regarding my PS and "plagiarism".... in my PS I describe a book as "a compelling introduction to philosophy". Earlier this week I picked up another book that is subtitled "a compelling introduction to philosophy"...

Seeing as I hadn't had a physical copy of that book (I suppose it's possible I'd seen the front cover online) I don't think I copied it - and therefore I left it in. I don't suppose anyone will notice! At least I hope not...
Can I ask a question?

Do Oxford really want 3 A-Levels, or do they look down if you only do three?
I ask because I do 4 subjects at A2 at the moment, want to study English at Oxford and SO want to drop Maths now.

So tell me, do they really mind?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending