The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by adamrules247
So you expect Mevidek to explain God's entire plan just by looking at a miniscule part of it :curious:

Jolly good, you can do the same by telling me what painting this is from then, seeing as you expect him to do the same.
He's the one who made the claim about evil serving a greater good. I didn't pull it from nowhere. I was merely examining the logical consequences of his claims. If he can't explain whether God's overall plan is good or not*, he should have just said. So your post should be directed towards him instead of me.

*A strange claim for a Christian, tbh, but I'll play along
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kolya
He's the one who made the claim about evil serving a greater good. I didn't pull it from nowhere. I was merely examining the logical consequences of his claims. If he can't explain whether God's overall plan is good or not*, he should have just said. So your post should be directed towards him instead of me.

*A strange claim for a Christian, tbh, but I'll play along

But you're asking him to explain something which follows (for a Christian) as a point of logic but is also logically inexplainable. You are simply asking him to tell you what painting it is while zoomed in on the image, an impossibility.
Reply 1602
But you're asking him to explain something which follows (for a Christian) as a point of logic but is also logically inexplainable. You are simply asking him to tell you what painting it is while zoomed in on the image, an impossibility.

Asking him to explain the logic. Not unreasonable imo.

Also the bit I italicised made me chuckle.
Reply 1603

But you're asking him to explain something which follows (for a Christian) as a point of logic but is also logically inexplainable.
lol.

adamrules247
You are simply asking him to tell you what painting it is while zoomed in on the image, an impossibility.

But he claims he knows what the painting is! He claims the universe is a test where evil serves a greater good. You're again directing the analogy at the wrong person. mevidek is asking US to believe he knows what the picture is when all we can see is a zoomed-in part. I'm happy to say that we aren't in a position to make big claims about what the picture is, and so should shut up about it. But Christianity doesn't; it tries to make big claims about the picture based on what we see in our small, zoomed-in area of it. You seem to be arguing against Christianity.

I'm not sure you've thought this through much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kolya
lol.
Original post by mmmpie
Asking him to explain the logic. Not unreasonable imo.

Also the bit I italicised made me chuckle.

Are you gentlemen really so unsubtle that you cannot understand what I am saying. If it is thus then I shall explain it to you. You both argue for the point of suffering on the assumption that God exists so you can in turn remove Him from the equation. So let us look at the two points of logic. If God exists then it logically follows (in line with the great Philosophers and Theologians of the Church) that He allows suffering to happen for a greater good; this is logic point number one. Now, the second item I was refering to (which it is logically impossible to explain in a here and now context) is why the suffering is happening at this very second. For what specific reasons. If you can't understand the difference there then there is little point engaging you.

But he claims he knows what the painting is! He claims the universe is a test where evil serves a greater good. You're again directing the analogy at the wrong person. mevidek is asking US to believe he knows what the picture is when all we can see is a zoomed-in part. I'm happy to say that we aren't in a position to make big claims about what the picture is, and so should shut up about it. But Christianity doesn't; it tries to make big claims about the picture based on what we see in our small, zoomed-in area of it. You seem to be arguing against Christianity.

I'm not sure you've thought this through much.

No, he doesn't claim to understand what the painting is at all. He claims to know its eventual outcome but not the here and now details.
Reply 1605
[Are you gentlemen really so unsubtle that you cannot understand what I am saying. If it is thus then I shall explain it to you. You both argue for the point of suffering on the assumption that God exists so you can in turn remove Him from the equation. So let us look at the two points of logic. If God exists then it logically follows (in line with the great Philosophers and Theologians of the Church) that He allows suffering to happen for a greater good; this is logic point number one. Now, the second item I was refering to (which it is logically impossible to explain in a here and now context) is why the suffering is happening at this very second. For what specific reasons. If you can't understand the difference there then there is little point engaging you.

I'll pass on the ad hom thanks. You appear to be mistaking rigour for a lack of subtlety.

So from your logic point number one Kolya's original argument is sound. The holocaust should logically be considered desirable. But it isn't, there is a contradiction, because you all agree that the holocaust was not a desirable turn of events.

The fact that you can't resolve the paradox there is just another reason why religion makes no sense to the non-religious. You have to have faith that the paradoxes associated with free will and omibenevolence will somehow resolve themselves.
Original post by mmmpie
I'll pass on the ad hom thanks. You appear to be mistaking rigour for a lack of subtlety.

So from your logic point number one Kolya's original argument is sound. The holocaust should logically be considered desirable. But it isn't, there is a contradiction, because you all agree that the holocaust was not a desirable turn of events.

The fact that you can't resolve the paradox there is just another reason why religion makes no sense to the non-religious. You have to have faith that the paradoxes associated with free will and omibenevolence will somehow resolve themselves.

I am merely stating that if God exists (which boths sides of the argument are assuming) then it logically follows he allows evil to happen for a greater good. Now, what the specific goods are I, and no one else, would claim to know. A simple difference really.

And I wasn't actually addressing that part of Kolya's argument but seeing as you request me to I shall. His argument falls apart as there is no paradox of any kind. The Holocaust is not desirable as it causes evil. However it was allowed to happen for two goods. The greater eternal good and (this is the important thing) free will of the induviduals carrying it out. Now if condition one can be met then condition two doesn't have to be undermined (as it does in some cases).

What's more you have a remarkably silly view of death when looking at it from a theistic perspective. If God exists, and He's the Christian God, then those victams would go to Heaven anyway!
Reply 1607
You both argue for the point of suffering on the assumption that God exists so you can in turn remove Him from the equation.
Where? You originally quoted an argument of mine (which had the conclusion that the holocaust should be valued and desired); I asked medevik if he believed it sound. I don't know what post of mine you're referring to now.

adamrules247
No, he doesn't claim to understand what the painting is at all. He claims to know its eventual outcome but not the here and now details.
The 'outcome' of a 'painting'?! A dodgy analogy is enough without introducing another one on top.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kolya
Where? You originally quoted an argument of mine (which had the conclusion that the holocaust should be valued and desired); I asked medevik if he believed it sound. I don't know what post of mine you're referring to now.

I was merely showing the ridiculousness of you asking him to state it in specifics. Unless he's got a time machine it simply can't be done. I note I'm still waiting for an answer on that painting as well.

The 'outcome' of a 'painting'?! A dodgy analogy is enough without introducing another one on top.

Where's this second analogy? Perhaps a better word would have been the totality of the painting.
Reply 1609
I was merely showing the ridiculousness of you asking him to state it in specifics. Unless he's got a time machine it simply can't be done. I note I'm still waiting for an answer on that painting as well.

Where's this second analogy? Perhaps a better word would have been the totality of the painting.
Let me be honest: I don't have a clue what you're saying half the time. You write in a way which I can't follow.

If you want answers in the "Ask An A/A" thread, I recommend writing in the style of analytic philosophy. It will make the discussion accessible to philosophy students. Otherwise they - and I - might have trouble following your thoughts.
Reply 1610

I am merely stating that if God exists (which boths sides of the argument are assuming) then it logically follows he allows evil to happen for a greater good. Now, what the specific goods are I, and no one else, would claim to know. A simple difference really.

And I wasn't actually addressing that part of Kolya's argument but seeing as you request me to I shall. His argument falls apart as there is no paradox of any kind. The Holocaust is not desirable as it causes evil. However it was allowed to happen for two goods. The greater eternal good and (this is the important thing) free will of the induviduals carrying it out. Now if condition one can be met then condition two doesn't have to be undermined (as it does in some cases).

What's more you have a remarkably silly view of death when looking at it from a theistic perspective. If God exists, and He's the Christian God, then those victams would go to Heaven anyway!

The holocaust is not desirable because it causes evil. But the holocaust is proven to be desirable by Kolya's argument from earlier, which you yourself provided a case for the soundness of it's premises. Ergo, we have a paradox. One of your assertions fails. Either it does not as you asserted logically follow from the existence of god that it would allow suffering to some greater end (and I don't see that logic myself), or the holocaust does not cause evil, or the desirability of things is not affected by whether they are good or evil. Somewhere there must be a faulty premise.

I don't care whether the victims go to heaven or not, although it would seem to be an argument for killing all innocents to ensure their admission into heaven, no?
Original post by mmmpie
The holocaust is not desirable because it causes evil. But the holocaust is proven to be desirable by Kolya's argument from earlier, which you yourself provided a case for the soundness of it's premises. Ergo, we have a paradox. One of your assertions fails. Either it does not as you asserted logically follow from the existence of god that it would allow suffering to some greater end (and I don't see that logic myself), or the holocaust does not cause evil, or the desirability of things is not affected by whether they are good or evil. Somewhere there must be a faulty premise.
You seem to be willfully forgetting the free will part. God wants no sin. However because He has given us freewill he will allow us to cause evil unless no eventual greater good can be obtained through it.
Reply 1612

You seem to be willfully forgetting the free will part. God wants no sin. However because He has given us freewill he will allow us to cause evil unless no eventual greater good can be obtained through it.

If the universe is deterministic then there is no free will, if it isn't deterministic then god cannot guarantee whether or not a greater good will ever come about. There's a whole other host of paradoxes that you can entail once you throw free will into the mix.

Cool. What about the host of things that are bad that AREN'T caused by the process of free will, which also afflict things without supposedly 'true' free will (Animals). Diseases, plagues, calamities etc.

What about a god who 'punishes' newborns with disease and death for no reason. Now, naturally, you can explain that 'god works in mysterious ways' etc, but surely an explanation that results in nothing is as good as nothing itself? If god cannot be judged by the moral standards that humanity understands them as, they he can't really be called 'good' in the human sense can he? Furthermore, if in the human sense we have a concept of objective morality, how does this parallel the supposed 'objectivity' of a creator if we cannot draw comparison with his conceptualisation of good and ours/

Epicurus' questions come to mind here;
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

If you are staying in University halls, absolutely appalling conditions. Parts of the roof missing, leaky taps, disease rife whatever, and you know that behind a door a 'management' exists but you never actually see them, how do you respond? You are told by others that the 'management' has both the infinite power to fix everything for absolutely no cost at all, and that they actually do care about the plight of the people who exist in the halls. How can you reconcile these things without referencing a 'god is mysterious' argument, which is the equivalent of me saying 'reality is mysterious' on the basis that we do not know everything about it, and can therefore presuppose any actions that are taken must be the right ones. God cannot be 'good' in the human sense, so why call him 'good' at all? It strikes me how such a thing tries to hold authority over the lives of unwanting human beings.
Original post by mmmpie
If the universe is deterministic then there is no free will, if it isn't deterministic then god cannot guarantee whether or not a greater good will ever come about. There's a whole other host of paradoxes that you can entail once you throw free will into the mix.

Not at all and you're committing the cardinal sin again. Trying to view the whole painting through a narrow lense. I don't fully understand how a painter creates beauty, there's no science involved, there's no formula, yet it certainly happens.
Reply 1615
Not at all and you're committing the cardinal sin again. Trying to view the whole painting through a narrow lense. I don't fully understand how a painter creates beauty, there's no science involved, there's no formula, yet it certainly happens.

It's nice to know that the application of logic is now considered a cardinal sin. I take it you have no counter to the problems of free will, determinism and omnipotence and other than to refer me to some >1500 year old text.
Original post by Ocassus
Cool. What about the host of things that are bad that AREN'T caused by the process of free will, which also afflict things without supposedly 'true' free will (Animals). Diseases, plagues, calamities etc.

Again free will. If a man is adopted by the King and becomes a prince then his children too become princes. However when the King discovers his adopted son plotting against him he throws him from the castle; his children too. None of them are princes any more and are subject to the horrors of the world around them. Now, if this prince and his children were the crown of all creation do you not think slightly that there may be some disaray? Not even a small amount? There's an excellent talk actually (though sadly no longer available) from the wonderful people at the Faith Conference which asks to wonderful question "did Adam surf the earthquakes". Essentially did the first humans act like cows in a thunderstorm, all these "bad things" were happening around them but it's specifically that they were happening around them and not too them. Much like how cows lie down in a thunderstorm.

What about a god who 'punishes' newborns with disease and death for no reason.

:curious: Seriously, you do know that was the opinion of Old Testament Jews, hardly the brightest people. But think logically, logically for just one moment, does the death of a new born child effect just the child as you seem to imply? Of course it doesn't, it effects those around it and can make them stornger people. I'll take the example of a good friend of mine who lost her child. It was crippling for her but meant that when her husband left her a couple of years later (with her 6 other children) it meant that she was emotionally capable and emotionally mature enough to deal with it. Again, you're asking me to look at a brush stroke and tell you what painting it is.

Epicurus' questions come to mind here;
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

But He is willing (and has prevented it with people I know) but allows it to happen for specific reasons like the example I gave above.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Man and a rejection of God from both the creation of matter and spirit (men) and the creation of spirit (angels)

If you are staying in University halls, absolutely appalling conditions. Parts of the roof missing, leaky taps, disease rife whatever, and you know that behind a door a 'management' exists but you never actually see them, how do you respond? You are told by others that the 'management' has both the infinite power to fix everything for absolutely no cost at all, and that they actually do care about the plight of the people who exist in the halls. How can you reconcile these things without referencing a 'god is mysterious' argument, which is the equivalent of me saying 'reality is mysterious' on the basis that we do not know everything about it, and can therefore presuppose any actions that are taken must be the right ones. God cannot be 'good' in the human sense, so why call him 'good' at all? It strikes me how such a thing tries to hold authority over the lives of unwanting human beings.

Poor analogy, it misses out the positive completely. I'll give you a better one. You're travelling through the countryside, hungry, cold, wet. However you have a guide who knows the way home. He says it will be difficult, you'll get even wetter and even colder and even more hungry, but that He will get you home in the end. You also have some other guys who joined the treck with you. They have no knowledge of the way home but say they'll get you there and it won't be uncomfortable. I know I'd certainly follow the former man.
Original post by mmmpie
It's nice to know that the application of logic is now considered a cardinal sin. I take it you have no counter to the problems of free will, determinism and omnipotence and other than to refer me to some >1500 year old text.

I have countered but there is a degree of subjectivity that cannot be over come. You'll disagree with me but quite frankly, just because I know of what you'll say or do, and thus put it in as part of a massive plan, does not mean that you don't have free will. And what this 1,500 year old text is I have no idea.

EDIT: And seeing as you love being 'logical', please tell me what this painting is:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1618

I have countered but there is a degree of subjectivity that cannot be over come. You'll disagree with me but quite frankly, just because I know of what you'll say or do, and thus put it in as part of a massive plan, does not mean that you don't have free will. And what this 1,500 year old text is I have no idea.

EDIT: And seeing as you love being 'logical', please tell me what this painting is:

You haven't countered; you've evaded.

I was just reading your response to Ocassus on the questions of Epicurius, it's very unsatisfying. If you could demonstrate that god had prevented evil happening to somebody you would demonstrate god, but you can do neither, you assume that god did something without justification. Evil coming from the rejection of god is similarly bad, because it's circular, it assumes god is not malevolent in order to make plausible that god is not malevolent.

No idea about the painting, what does that have to do with logic? I cannot logically extrapolate from a small bunch of pixels to a painting, but I can reason over the information I am given.

Also I assume it's the battle of balaclava again.
Original post by mmmpie

I was just reading your response to Ocassus on the questions of Epicurius, it's very unsatisfying. If you could demonstrate that god had prevented evil happening to somebody you would demonstrate god, but you can do neither, you assume that god did something without justification. Evil coming from the rejection of god is similarly bad, because it's circular, it assumes god is not malevolent in order to make plausible that god is not malevolent.

I could present it but number one, you wouldn't believe me, and number two you would simply argue a mistake had been made.And that argument is circular in any way shape or form. I believe in the God shown in the person of Jesus Christ, hardly malevolent.

No idea about the painting, what does that have to do with logic? I cannot logically extrapolate from a small bunch of pixels to a painting, but I can reason over the information I am given.

Because you said it was logical to try and view the whole plan, as it were, from only witnessing what is literally a few seconds of it. So I expect you to do the same thing with a painting; view part of a zoomed in painting and tell me what it is.

Also I assume it's the battle of balaclava again.

'fraid not :nope:

Latest

Trending

Trending