The Student Room Group

Will I be at a disadvantage if I don't have an English Lit. GCSE?

Hi all.

I've been informed by my teacher that we might not be doing English Literature. In Year 10 (Year 11 currently) we did a couple pieces of coursework and speaking and listening assessments. However in the last two weeks of Year 10 we were told that none of those would count and our school wanted us to do the old AQA specification as it was "easier" since it was coursework-based and didn't include internal assessments.

Due to this we've crammed 3 pieces of coursework and 4 speaking and listening pieces in the last two weeks of Year 10 and the first two weeks of Year 11 and all our English lessons since have been exam prep.

My teacher told me that she's not sure what we might be doing after our exam in November but that there's a chance that we won't do Literature afterwards. Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to grammar sixth forms? I don't plan on studying English Lit. at college/sixth however will this put me at a disadvantage against others with English Literature when applying for competitive places?

Thanks in advance.
No, it doesn't disadvantage you. You're not going to study English Lit so it doesn't make a difference; it's just another GCSE. English Language is more important.
Nah dw. It is possibly the most boring subject I have ever had the misfortune to study. English language is much more important and is more fun too.
If it's a whole school policy then the grammar sixth form should understand and not hold it against you since there's nothing you can reasonably do about it.
Reply 4
Original post by InadequateJusticex
No, it doesn't disadvantage you. You're not going to study English Lit so it doesn't make a difference; it's just another GCSE. English Language is more important.

Original post by Extricated
Nah dw. It is possibly the most boring subject I have ever had the misfortune to study. English language is much more important and is more fun too.

Original post by Patriot Rich
If it's a whole school policy then the grammar sixth form should understand and not hold it against you since there's nothing you can reasonably do about it.

Thanks all. :smile: Was worried about it and teacher couldn't give me a straight answer.
Reply 5
Not at all, if you have a good Language score, that's all that'll matter. :smile:
Reply 6
@ I persia I
If you're persian you're awesome! :3 (i am too)
Anyway, i think i'm in the same situation as you, only our school is doing english literature. The only thing is, i want to do so many retakes that i'm worried i'll mess it up :emo:
SO WORRIED.
Original post by InadequateJusticex

I agree. As long as you have english language thats all that matters.
Reply 8
English Language is more important but Lit is really good :smile: One of my favourites at GCSE and I'm only doing sciences +maths this year.

Quick Reply

Latest