The Student Room Group

Greatest practical use of maths & why?

OK - What do you think is the greatest practical use for maths at the moment and why.

I think that members ought to be entitled to state whatever they like without fear of ridicule, AS LONG AS IT COMES WITH AN EXPLANATION - the piece of Maths in question could be broad or narrow, simple or advanced

I myself am not too sure, hence the question, but I would like to think that the following should be contenders:

use of enormous prime numbers in cryptography could be a contender, since upon it lies the whole enormous banking system used the world over and

The number zero, without which place value would not be possible

Scroll to see replies

Using mathematics to find out how we are here, and why the universe came into existence is the greatest practical use of mathematics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
differentiaL equations - to model real-life problems
Reply 3
Original post by vitamortis

Using mathematics to find out how we are here, and why the universe came into existence is the greatest practical use of mathematics.

cool, that's a biggy!
Reply 4
Original post by Hasufel

Original post by Hasufel
differentiaL equations - to model real-life problems

Yep
Reply 5
Using geometry to build buildings.
Reply 6

A physicist answer :biggrin: I like it.
Reply 7
The computer I'm using is a massive calculator!

Spoiler

Reply 8
Basic Arithmetic:
Keeping accounts, imagine how the world would work if we couldn't count money.

Barter wouldn't even work, you wouldn't be able to count and trade, e.g. a cow for 3 pigs wouldn't work, it would have to be some cows for some pigs.
Figuring how much change your meant to get before the cashier does so you don't get shortchanged.

Or just simple maths we use everyday .... we'd be screwed without it. Hence why it is the greatest and most used
Original post by wcp100

Original post by wcp100
The computer I'm using is a massive calculator!

Spoiler

OK - but what about the mathematics that led to the discovery of quantum tunneling, the seemingly impossible magic trick that happens millions of times every second in every computing device in the world, including the computer that you are using
using area = pi*r^2 to work out which deals are the best value at pizza hut
Original post by Andythepiano
OK - but what about the mathematics that led to the discovery of quantum tunneling, the seemingly impossible magic trick that happens millions of times every second in every computing device in the world, including the computer that you are using

To be fair, most things seem impossible until you discover an explanation.
Original post by ziedj
using area = pi*r^2 to work out which deals are the best value at pizza hut

That doesn't account for thickness or topping.

Spoiler

Original post by wcp100

Original post by wcp100
To be fair, most things seem impossible until you discover an explanation.

touche
Original post by wcp100

Original post by wcp100
That doesn't account for thickness or topping.

Spoiler

Yes it does! let z= radius a= thickness, volume = pi . z . z . a
Original post by Andythepiano
Yes it does! let z= radius a= thickness, volume = pi . z . z . a

I see that pun :tongue:

Pos rep.
Taylor series.

The basis of how calculators use sin/cos etc functions. Without it calculators won't calculate important functions and then the whole world will end :eek:
I guess I can go fairly specific - in my opinion the best use of maths (so far) was in forming Maxwell's Equations (below), which describe everything to do with electromagnetism. Everything.

[br]E=ρ0[br]×E=Bt[br]B=0[br]×B=μ0J+0μ0Et[br]\begin{array}{l} [br] \nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to = \frac{\rho }{{ \in _0 }} \\ [br] \nabla \times \mathop E\limits^ \to = - \frac{{\partial \mathop B\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\ [br] \nabla \cdot \mathop B\limits^ \to = 0 \\ [br] \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to = \mu _0 \mathop J\limits^ \to + \in _0 \mu _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\ [br] \end{array}

EDIT: Also, the wave equation:

2qt2=c22qx2\dfrac{\partial^2q}{\partial t^2} = c^2\dfrac{\partial^2q}{\partial x^2}

Original post by Ilyas
Taylor series.

The basis of how calculators use sin/cos etc functions. Without it calculators won't calculate important functions and then the whole world will end :eek:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34205037&postcount=8
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest