The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Anyone seen Drive?

Just watched it, cant work out if I like it or love it. Though I cant get how it got a 8.3 review on IMDb/93%.

It was slow but strange, the main actor rarely spoke or showed any emotions.

It didnt feel anything like the trailer which was refreshing as it looked a bit like a Transformer/Jason Statham style film.
(edited 12 years ago)
I seem to have a tendency to talk about future films in the chat thread, well Prometheus looks and hopefully will be awesome... I'm sure Ridley Scott can still make great Sci-fi flicks.

Also pretty interested in the hobbit, even though it seems an eternity away
Reply 4402
is film in a rut atm? it seems like the most interesting work is being on television - a series allows greater depth and development in storytelling. what is the future for film?
Reply 4403
Original post by Harry S Truman
Watching the trailer in the cinema was really an unexpected delight. This film had really fallen off my radar, but now its my most anticipated release of the rest of the year, right next to Polanski's Carnage.

I'm looking forward to Carnage, but I didn't think much of the trailer at all, tbh.
Reply 4404
BFG set for live-action adaptation

This has the potential to go horribly wrong. :cry:
Original post by Kolya
is film in a rut atm? it seems like the most interesting work is being on television - a series allows greater depth and development in storytelling. what is the future for film?

I personally think it's more the quality of TV programmes really increasing (bigger budgets, networks taking on more projects and better actors and writers getting in on the business) in recent years with shows like The Wire and Lost, over the quality of film dropping. I think film has always been at a consistently high standard year after year. Also, whilst a series allows for greater depth and development, it also requires a considerable amount of time investment whereas a film can beautifully condense those aspects and still retain a high quality product.

That said I've found this year lacking in the 'great films' category.
Reply 4406
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Tbf, we're only approaching the time of the year where potential 'great films' are released. I have high hopes for Shame, personally.

I personally think it's more the quality of TV programmes really increasing (bigger budgets, networks taking on more projects and better actors and writers getting in on the business) in recent years with shows like The Wire and Lost, over the quality of film dropping. I think film has always been at a consistently high standard year after year. Also, whilst a series allows for greater depth and development, it also requires a considerable amount of time investment whereas a film can beautifully condense those aspects and still retain a high quality product.

Yeah, I think we're pretty spoiled in TV with the amount of high-budget spectacles going on at the minute. This year feels like I've transitioned from Boardwalk Empire to Game of Thrones to Borgias with very small gaps in between.
Reply 4408
Original post by Phalanges
Yeah, I think we're pretty spoiled in TV with the amount of high-budget spectacles going on at the minute. This year feels like I've transitioned from Boardwalk Empire to Game of Thrones to Borgias with very small gaps in between.

Is Broadwalk Empire really that good? I've never went and gotten seasons of a TV show before, but Steve Buscemi's involvement makes me consider whether I should...

Also, Jessica Chastain is in a ridiculous number of critically acclaimed/anticipated fiolms this/next year. People are already beginning to call her one of the most talented actresses of her generation; what an overnight-success story.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
Is Broadwalk Empire really that good? I've never went and gotten seasons of a TV show before, but Steve Buscemi's involvement makes me consider whether I should...

Also, Jessica Chastain is in a ridiculous number of critically acclaimed/anticipated fiolms this/next year. People are already beginning to call her one of the most talented actresses of her generation; what an overnight-success story.

*Butts into conversation* I think Boardwalk Empire is absolutely brilliant, and because it's reclaiming the style that no one really uses anymore (of having continuous story throughout the series not reducing every episode to having a short story itself which you know will be resolved within the hour) it does just feel like one very long very good prohibition era gangster film <3
Reply 4410
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
*Butts into conversation* I think Boardwalk Empire is absolutely brilliant, and because it's reclaiming the style that no one really uses anymore (of having continuous story throughout the series not reducing every episode to having a short story itself which you know will be resolved within the hour) it does just feel like one very long very good prohibition era gangster film <3

I really hate this most of the time, which is why I don't pay a great deal of attention to TV. It's also why I liked/am liking Dexter so much, I suppose: I sat down to watch it every day when it was being aired. Broadwalk Empire sounds appealing, then; perhaps I should give it a go.

Well personally it was the series I least enjoyed out of those three, but that's more because I've recently been watching TV to be entertained rather than for it to be particularly good (The Borgias is nowhere near as well constructed, but it's really enjoyable). So yeah, it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Calling her one of the most talented actresses of a generation is a little premature, surely? I've only ever seen her in an episode of Poirot.
Reply 4412
Quentin vs Coen

Original post by Pheylan
Quentin vs Coen

Spoiler

It won't let me rep you again cos apparently I have recently but AWESOME :biggrin:
I saw the theatre version of Cool Hand Luke today; it's pretty good and definitely worth a watch if any of you get the chance.
Reply 4415
RIP Ashton and Demi's relationship. :cry2:

Demi really gave hope for cougars everywhere. I'm really sad about this. Celebrity breakups are so hard on me.
Original post by dior
RIP Ashton and Demi's relationship. :cry2:

Demi really gave hope for cougars everywhere. I'm really sad about this. Celebrity breakups are so hard on me.

say whaaa, Ashton and Demi?? genuinely surprising...

I may catch The Help sometime soon, may one of 2011s' sleeper hits
Just finished watching Terence Malick's The Tree of Life. Mad, mad, mad! WOW!
Reply 4418
Original post by JessicaW

Original post by JessicaW
I saw the theatre version of Cool Hand Luke today; it's pretty good and definitely worth a watch if any of you get the chance.

What do you mean by "theatre version"?
Reply 4419
Original post by Kolya
What do you mean by "theatre version"?

The stage adaptation, I think? Wikipedia says it's been 'adapted into a West End play by Emma Reeves'.

Hang on, though, it also says it 'opens at London's Aldwych Theatre on 3 October, 2011'...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending