The Student Room Group

need help!!!with low predicted grades

I'm very worried about my predicted grades: A*in maths, A in further maths but C in economics. My father gives me much more stress and i also want to go to a good university like UCL to study mathematics(with finance), is that possible. Or is that better that i repeat y12 to get better grades.!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why don't you try hard in economics? chances of getting into university like UCL with A*AC? nope not good enough try erm Durham :wink:
Reply 2
just afraid they will not want student with grade c:frown:
Reply 3
did you only do 3As?
Reply 4
i think u can pull of an a in eco, just retake all the as modules. You are doing 3a2's anyways, so 2 more exams isnt going to kill you. I dont think you should retake. The only prob is that the uni will see that you acheieved a grade c in economics.
Reply 5
i have done 4as, but dropped accounting as the grade is c, so i only have 3 a2 subjects with predicted grades A*AC
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, really I am.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/static/pdf/aboutus/franchise/G12485-Application-Form.pdf

Hope the above link is the solution to all of your problems. :-)
Reply 7
Original post by Alpha5

Original post by Alpha5
i think u can pull of an a in eco, just retake all the as modules. You are doing 3a2's anyways, so 2 more exams isnt going to kill you. I dont think you should retake. The only prob is that the uni will see that you acheieved a grade c in economics.

i'm not know a lot about applying the university and i have already to decide to retake it. But the exam will be in January and predicted grades will be posted to the universities before that, that's what i worried
Reply 8
Original post by HowlingMadMurdz
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, really I am.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/static/pdf/aboutus/franchise/G12485-Application-Form.pdf

Hope the above link is the solution to all of your problems. :-)

:biggrin: ........ nice one . But seriously , your grades are not so bad . A*AC is a good score overall , if you manage to drag that C up to a B you can apply to most of the Russel Group :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Durido
:biggrin: ........ nice one . But seriously , your grades are not so bad . A*AC is a good score overall , if you manage to drag that C up to a B you can apply to most of the Russel Group :biggrin:

How can i push me tutor give me a B as he said no before??
Reply 10
Original post by Durido

Original post by Durido

Why does everyone on TSR put russell group to be the only elite university institutions in the UK. There are some great unis in and there are some not so great unis there too. They are called russell group because they receive huge funding for research and that all.

Anyway OP, the smartest thing to do right now is try to convince your teacher that you would achieve an B grade in Economics. When applying to universities I had a C grade for AS Law but my teacher predicted me an A grade because she knows I'm hard working and dedicating and I convinced her also. At the end I achieved that A grade for A2 after some retakes.

So OP all hope is not lost. You could quickly talk to your Economics teacher about this because an A*AB grade is much more impressive than A*AC (trust me that's the way admission tutors see it).
Reply 11
Original post by *Hakz*
Why does everyone on TSR put russell group to be the only elite university institutions in the UK. There are some great unis in and there are some not so great unis there too. They are called russell group because they receive huge funding for research and that all.

Anyway OP, the smartest thing to do right now is try to convince your teacher that you would achieve an B grade in Economics. When applying to universities I had a C grade for AS Law but my teacher predicted me an A grade because she knows I'm hard working and dedicating and I convinced her also. At the end I achieved that A grade for A2 after some retakes.

So OP all hope is not lost. You could quickly talk to your Economics teacher about this because an A*AB grade is much more impressive than A*AC (trust me that's the way admission tutors see it).

In my school, my economics teacher is not responsible for giving predicted grades, head of year is shouldering this and he is new. That's what i am so angry as he does not know anything about myself. And when i tried to talk with him, he always said that's unfair for others.
Reply 12
Original post by czllh5

Original post by czllh5
In my school, my economics teacher is not responsible for giving predicted grades, head of year is shouldering this and he is new. That's what i am so angry as he does not know anything about myself. And when i tried to talk with him, he always said that's unfair for others.

Arghhh sorry to hear that mate. What grade did you achieve for it at AS level?
Reply 13
Original post by *Hakz*
Arghhh sorry to hear that mate. What grade did you achieve for it at AS level?

same, it is C
Reply 14
Original post by czllh5

Original post by czllh5
same, it is C

That's unfair. Most people easily get predicted one grade (or in my case 2 grades) above what they got at AS level.

Maybe you might need to involve your parent in this. A prediction such as A*AC is pretty silly and to be honest it will limit where to apply to. Even an AAB grade is seen as more better than that. Your parents could phone the new guy or they could book an appointment.
Reply 15
yes, i see. I'm an international student as my parents can not contact in english and difficult to interview them. But i will try. Thanks a lot
Reply 16
Original post by *Hakz*

Well the thing with the Russell group is that they are the in general the best Universities in the country . It's a generalisation , plain and simple :biggrin:.
If the head of department won't change it, then your points are still equal to AAB, and the A* prediction for maths still looks impressive, so for maths, you would hopefully still get some good offers. Perhaps you could get someone to write in your reference that you are working hard to get your economics grade up to A/B, but the school's overall policy required you to be predicted a C?

I don't think it's worth repeating year 12 with those grades, infact, I doubt the school would let you. However, if in August you have A*AA, or higher and you don't want to take up your place, you can always take a year out, and reapply. This isn't a bad thing to do, and you could spend the year doing something valuble, or earning money so you have some savings. You can also use the "adjustment" feature of UCAS if you do better than you firm offer.
Reply 18
Original post by Durido

Original post by Durido
Well the thing with the Russell group is that they are the in general the best Universities in the country . It's a generalisation , plain and simple :biggrin:.

No. You make me laugh. Most of them are the top universities but some of them are not one of the best. Some 1994 group universities are better than some russell group universities.

You honestly think Queens University Belfast or Cardiff are better than the likes of Durham or Bath? Just NO.

Also check out any league table for yourself and see how well Manchester university (russell group) are doing.
Reply 19
Original post by *Hakz*
No. You make me laugh. Most of them are the top universities but some of them are not one of the best. Some 1994 group universities are better than some russell group universities.

You honestly think Queens University Belfast or Cardiff are better than the likes of Durham or Bath? Just NO.

Also check out any league table for yourself and see how well Manchester university (russell group) are doing.

You don't know what generalisation means ,do you ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending