The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Online gaming at Cardiff Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi Guys,

I'm Mike and I look after the RESLAN network.

Just to clarify a few points you've been discussing:

1. Steam should indeed work - The client should be fine, but we're looking at an issue where accessing steam via a browser may have some problems.

2. Spotify does have some issues, we've popped a workaround in place until we get a permanent solution from the firewall vendor.

3. XBL/PSN.
We've been looking at this for a number of years, it's something that we've wanted to allow but have never had the demand from students. Stats-wise, we only had a handful of calls last year requesting XBL access (although I'm aware more people have wanted to do this, we've just never had feedback via official channels).
We have indeed approached the Gaming Society to ascertain interest regarding XBL/PSN usage. Should you wish to help strengthen the case of getting access via RESLAN, your best bet would be through the Gaming Society.

However, this isn't a guarantee that we'll allow XBL/PSN through RESLAN, our concern is providing access to academic materials and security of the network. Should giving access provide any problems relating to network integrity, it may not be allowed.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by BicPen
Hi Guys,

1. Steam should indeed work - The client should be fine, but we're looking at an issue where accessing steam via a browser may have some problems.

2. Spotify does have some issues, we've popped a workaround in place until we get a permanent solution from the firewall vendor.

3. XBL/PSN.
We've been looking at this for a number of years, it's something that we've wanted to allow but have never had the demand from students. Stats-wise, we only had a handful of calls last year requesting XBL access (although I'm aware more people have wanted to do this, we've just never had feedback via official channels).
We have indeed approached the Gaming Society to ascertain interest regarding XBL/PSN usage. Should you wish to help strengthen the case of getting access via RESLAN, your best bet would be through the Gaming Society.

However, this isn't a guarantee that we'll allow XBL/PSN through RESLAN, our concern is providing access to academic materials and security of the network. Should giving access provide any problems relating to network integrity, it may not be allowed.

I have signed up the the society for that very reason, before I seen it mentioned it here, although im not a huge online gamer it is also a great way to keep in contact with friends from home, id really appreciate this.
Reply 82
Original post by BicPen
Hi Guys,

3. XBL/PSN.

Hey Mike, thanks for your imput on the topic!

Has Steam just been "Fixed"? The client worked for me about a week ago, but hasn't worked since. Although saying that, I've just tried it right now and it's working so perhaps it's patchy? When I checked earlier in the week, the ports that were apparently required for it were closed. I was wondering whether this was closed for a while and then reopened, or whether it's just been patchy and I've been catching it at bad/unlucky times? EDIT - Steam store/community is working for me right now, but still not connecting to game server such as TF2.
Second EDIT - Morning after, Steam is back to not working again as a client :frown:

To everyone else, the society is doing a petition, but I believe you need to be a member to sign for some reason or another - The page on that is here:
http://cardiffgaming.co.uk/index.php?topic=1560.msg8760;topicseen#new
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BicPen
Hi Guys,

3. XBL/PSN.

I would love for XBL to be unblocked, just to keep in touch with friends as it's cheaper than phoning and more personal than IM. I don't see why its blocked in the first place really as uses hardly any bandwidth and all that needs to be done is for the ports to be opened (I know you need to register your mac address but using Connectify that's not even necessary)

When I signed into the Cardiff network it asked me what consoles I owned so surely they can see from that that the demand is there
What about for PS3/Xbox gamers, can you get online to play?
Reply 85
Original post by vandalism411
What about for PS3/Xbox gamers, can you get online to play?

Ultimate Thread Necro, but I'll edit the OP seeing as I have actual information now.

Xbox live works, though is a bit iffy, NAT settings are Strict. PSN either works or will be working soon, I'm not sure. You register your console through signing up to the Cardiff Gaming society. They've worked with the Uni to unblock a lot of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending