The Student Room Group

Does other peoples loud music annoy you?

Seems to be that in halls theres always loud music playing somewhere.
Does it annoy you? Or do you take other peoples pounding bass at all hours in your stride? :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Depends what I'm trying to do i.e if I'm trying to sleep or something and how much I like the music that's being blasted out.
Reply 2
What others do is not your business.
Does B-Box stand for beat-box by any chance?
And the answer to your question is no...although i do have a bit of insomnia most nights
Yes if it sucks or on at some crazy hour.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
It pisses me off, but I'm a whingey old woman.
Reply 6
I'm not that bothered, unless I'd stayed in and it was like 3AM.
Reply 7
It bothers me, but I'm a hypocrite because this year I was probably the noisiest person in my flat as I like to blast out loud heavy metal riffs at all hours of the day. No later than 11pm, and I've never had a complaint - my room neighbour said she didn't mind it, but I would have happily turned it down if it annoyed anyone.

This year there was a very shrill opera-singing girl somewhere in my block, and I could also hear the bizarre sound of someone running around in circles above my room very late at night.
Original post by hamix
What others do is not your business.

True, but if what they are doing disturbs you, then it is your business. It used to annoy me at uni when people blasted music. Friday and Saturday night is expected, but during the day when you're writing your dissertation is a big no-no :s-smilie:
Take it in my stride, mainly because sometimes its me with the loud music. So long as its not at stupid times then i dont care.
(Never been a uni student, hence never lived in halls).

I hate it when my neighbours are loud and I'm trying to sleep. It does my head in. However, at any other time of day, no matter how much noise they can make, my audio setup will completely and totally drown them out.
Reply 11
Original post by kat91s
It bothers me, but I'm a hypocrite because this year I was probably the noisiest person in my flat as I like to blast out loud heavy metal riffs at all hours of the day. No later than 11pm, and I've never had a complaint - my room neighbour said she didn't mind it, but I would have happily turned it down if it annoyed anyone.

This year there was a very shrill opera-singing girl somewhere in my block, and I could also hear the bizarre sound of someone running around in circles above my room very late at night.

I can guarantee it was annoying somebody, unless by chance everyone in hearing distance loves that repetitive bass thump coming through the walls all hours of the day. You say it bothers you, do you always ask them to stop or do you sometimes just secretly feel annoyed and think they're an inconsiderate dick? You shouldn't only try to be respectful of your neighbours when they complain. It's common decency to do it all the time.

Anyway, @OP. I don't like it because why do you want to listen to someone else's music? Of course it's annoying. Sound travels much farther than you'd think. but as long as it's not music blaring through the walls all day every day then I don't get too upset about it.
Reply 12
Original post by Cicerao
I can guarantee it was annoying somebody, unless by chance everyone in hearing distance loves that repetitive bass thump coming through the walls all hours of the day. You say it bothers you, do you always ask them to stop or do you sometimes just secretly feel annoyed and think they're an inconsiderate dick? You shouldn't only try to be respectful of your neighbours when they complain. It's common decency to do it all the time.

Anyway, @OP. I don't like it because why do you want to listen to someone else's music? Of course it's annoying. Sound travels much farther than you'd think. but as long as it's not music blaring through the walls all day every day then I don't get too upset about it.

If it's during a reasonable hour of the day then fine, I'm not going to complain. Last year I had to make a few complaints about my flatmates though because they frequently had noisy parties that would go on til about 4am.

Funny that the one time I ever had friends round in that flat, they asked me to keep it down, when I'd had to do so on quite a few occasions and was most of the time ignored.
Reply 13
It's the shouting/drunk people singing that annoys me most.

The music depends on what songs are being played (someone was blasting The Beatles yesterday which I didn't mind), and also what time it is because I don't appreciate being kept up by annoyingly loud music.
Reply 14
Original post by Meg Griffin
True, but if what they are doing disturbs you, then it is your business. It used to annoy me at uni when people blasted music. Friday and Saturday night is expected, but during the day when you're writing your dissertation is a big no-no :s-smilie:

So? Again, what others do period is not your business.
Just wake up and tell them to shut the **** up.

That's what I do personally.
Original post by B-Box
Seems to be that in halls theres always loud music playing somewhere.
Does it annoy you? Or do you take other peoples pounding bass at all hours in your stride? :colone:

There may be rules of times that you can't play music after. It will depend on your halls but do not be afraid to contact the porter if it is keeping you awake.
Original post by hamix
So? Again, what others do period is not your business.

Yes it is. If it disturbs you then it is entirely your business. I don't really know what the "rules" are time wise, but you aboslutely can ask a neighbour to turn it down if it's late at night. What makes you think you have the right to keep people up all night?
Listen to your music by all means... But either turn it down or use headphones if it's night time.
When I was at Uni and trying to sleep/study it was a little tiring but expected.

Now I'm not a student the bloomin' neighbours keeping me awake with their ****e music drives me up the wall but I respond in kind with heavy metal and heavy bass at other times so it balances out. :colone:

Or I get out the broom. Like Mr Heckles in Friends. :wink: On a Sunday night before a Monday morning they better stfu!!!!!! :mad:
Original post by kat91s

Dunno why you were downrated, I'm in exactly the same situation. Play my music pretttty loud, but I'd be more than happy to turn it down. Wouldn't play it before 12:00 midday anyway, since my flatmates are nocturnal. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending