The Student Room Group

how long is the reference section on ucas?

do teachers have a character-limit too? If so, what is it? thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rozca

Original post by rozca
do teachers have a character-limit too? If so, what is it? thanks :smile:

I think I remember reading somewhere that there is no character limit for your reference
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure it's about the same length as your ps
Reply 3
It's the same as your personal statement - 47 lines or 4000 characters; whichever comes first.
Original post by Iaso
It's the same as your personal statement - 47 lines or 4000 characters; whichever comes first.

Seriously?! :eyeball: I thought it was like 300 characters, lol! Do they draft and redraft like we do? :p:
Reply 5
Original post by Someone123123
Seriously?! :eyeball: I thought it was like 300 characters, lol! Do they draft and redraft like we do? :p:

I'm not sure if it varies between colleges, but this is what happens at my college. At the end of your AS year, all your teachers write you a short reference - just a paragraph or so. A few weeks into your A2 course, your A2 teachers will add a little to it - just how you've adjusted to the A2 course really. These are all sent to your personal tutor, who puts them all together into a single reference, adding an introduction and conclusion. At my college, this is sent through to your senior tutor, who you will have a series of meetings with. They will go over your reference with you, and attach it to your application. My college is really good - I was allowed to give my opinion on the reference and the senior tutor added in a couple of things I suggested, such as the fact I attended a special measures high school in a deprived area. They then attach it to your UCAS form, you pay the money and they send it off for you.
Reply 6

300 characters, presumably including spaces, is barely a sentence
Original post by Iaso
I'm not sure if it varies between colleges, but this is what happens at my college. At the end of your AS year, all your teachers write you a short reference - just a paragraph or so. A few weeks into your A2 course, your A2 teachers will add a little to it - just how you've adjusted to the A2 course really. These are all sent to your personal tutor, who puts them all together into a single reference, adding an introduction and conclusion. At my college, this is sent through to your senior tutor, who you will have a series of meetings with. They will go over your reference with you, and attach it to your application. My college is really good - I was allowed to give my opinion on the reference and the senior tutor added in a couple of things I suggested, such as the fact I attended a special measures high school in a deprived area. They then attach it to your UCAS form, you pay the money and they send it off for you.

Interesting.. well thanks for the detailed response! I don't think I'm allowed to see my reference at my school.. :frown:

Maybe I'll request..

Original post by Fing4
300 characters, presumably including spaces, is barely a sentence

Well I was exaggerating a little..
Reply 8
Interesting.. well thanks for the detailed response! I don't think I'm allowed to see my reference at my school.. :frown:

Maybe I'll request..

That's okay. I think it's worth requesting - even if they won't let you tweak anything, it makes for quite interesting reading!
Original post by Iaso

This is correct.
It's a good idea for you to see it before it goes off to make sure that what has been written is factually correct, if nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending