The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xcoral23
Quite possibly.. However my computer now works which is good but it's broken too so might save up for a new one :/ How are you anyway? We have not spoken in a while..

I need to send you my PS soon (when I finish it) is that ok?

Crap. Let's not talk about it lol I've cried and now I'm trying to remember that everything is not down to the UKCAT. I must concentrate on my PS and reference now.

The frustrating thing is that the reason why I did so badly is because I was extremely ill not because I can't do it.. It's completely out of my hands.. Everyone on here knows I've had tough month but today I was very ill during the exam.. hay ho..

Thanks for asking :smile:

Oh and thanks Ally, you too x

Yep that's fine. The best way to do it though is to post it in the personal statement help forum. It's completely private so can't be seen by anyone else but helpers. Then just message me a link!

How are you doing?
Reply 441
Original post by BethaneyJ
Yep that's fine. The best way to do it though is to post it in the personal statement help forum. It's completely private so can't be seen by anyone else but helpers. Then just message me a link!

How are you doing?

Would you mind looking at my PS ? :biggrin:
Original post by arsi123
Would you mind looking at my PS ? :biggrin:

Of course! Put it in the ps help forum (which is secure) and message me the link. Once it's tagged I'll try and get dibs on it for you and take a look!!
Reply 443
Of course! Put it in the ps help forum (which is secure) and message me the link. Once it's tagged I'll try and get dibs on it for you and take a look!!

Thank you. :biggrin: !
Original post by xcoral23

Crap. Let's not talk about it lol I've cried and now I'm trying to remember that everything is not down to the UKCAT. I must concentrate on my PS and reference now.

The frustrating thing is that the reason why I did so badly is because I was extremely ill not because I can't do it.. It's completely out of my hands.. Everyone on here knows I've had tough month but today I was very ill during the exam.. hay ho..

Thanks for asking :smile:

Oh and thanks Ally, you too x

Keep your chin up! :smile: BM6 don't use it much (I dont think), and like you said, you were ill. Make your PS brill, like I'm sure you will, and then you will be as good as anyone esle! x
Reply 445

Just out of curiosity what did you get in your UKCAT?
Original post by Besakt
Just out of curiosity what did you get in your UKCAT?

Averaged at around 720 (680 - 750 if I remember).

How are you doing?

Do you just post a thread on the forum?
Reply 448
Original post by oliviaw1677

Yes. :smile:

Original post by arsi123
Yes. :smile:

:yep:
Reply 450
Hey, how's everyone doing?
I'm happy to report that my application is done and ready to be sent by college! The relief is unbelievable!
Felt the need to share.
Reply 451
Original post by Saxy103
I'm happy to report that my application is done and ready to be sent by college! The relief is unbelievable!
Felt the need to share.

Lucky for some! lol

I really need to get on and finish my PS..

I emailed my referee to make sure he has a reference ready for next week so fingers crossed :smile:

I've still got one more choice left that keeps throwing me.. might just play lucky dip with my choices lol!

Good luck anyway :smile: Where did you apply- whats your academic/UKCAT profile?
Original post by Saxy103
Felt the need to share.

Hey :smile: and nice - its okay for some!
Mine should be sent this week. Got a right telling off from my teacher for not sending it to her... even though she has not helped me do anything one bit and didn't tell me to send it to her either, despite me constantly perstering her about my reference! (She's the UCAS adminstrator at my sixth form)
And good luck with your application(s)! :biggrin:

Do you study BM6 medicine at Southampton uni? If you wouldn't mind would you tell me what learning is like in year 0 and Year 1?
Thanks.
Reply 454
Original post by Ally312

Original post by Ally312
Hey :smile: and nice - its okay for some!
Mine should be sent this week. Got a right telling off from my teacher for not sending it to her... even though she has not helped me do anything one bit and didn't tell me to send it to her either, despite me constantly perstering her about my reference! (She's the UCAS adminstrator at my sixth form)
And good luck with your application(s)! :biggrin:

Haha I know what that's like. I've been getting stick from my teacher's too, especially about not including info on my A-Levels in my PS!

Has anyone else not left blank lines between paragraphs in their personal statement? I'm getting mixed messages from everyone on what's best.
Original post by tobnot
Haha I know what that's like. I've been getting stick from my teacher's too, especially about not including info on my A-Levels in my PS!

Has anyone else not left blank lines between paragraphs in their personal statement? I'm getting mixed messages from everyone on what's best.

I didn't include any info about my A levels in my PS. They know what I'm studying, and everyone applying will probably be studying the same thing.

When you copy and paste into UCAS, your PS won't have any blank lines in it all, whether you had them on Word already or not.

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 456
Original post by Ally312

Original post by Ally312
I didn't include any info about my A levels in my PS. They know what I'm studying, and everyone applying will probably be studying the same thing.

When you copy and paste into UCAS, your PS won't have any blank lines in it all, whether you had them on Word already or not.

Yeah it's ridiculous. You can leave blank lines, if you enter them in the UCAS form. It's just if I don't, It's going like a wall of text and will be more difficult for the admissions tutors to read, especially if they've been reading 100's of personal statements.
Original post by tobnot
Yeah it's ridiculous. You can leave blank lines, if you enter them in the UCAS form. It's just if I don't, It's going like a wall of text and will be more difficult for the admissions tutors to read, especially if they've been reading 100's of personal statements.

I see what you mean. I still wouldn't because it'll still take up valuable line space. Mine takes up 45 out of 47 lines. If you keep putting spaces, you'll go over the line limit, and would have to cut it down anyway. It does look like a wall of text, but the content matters more that how it looks I think. I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:
Do you study BM6 medicine at Southampton uni? If you wouldn't mind would you tell me what learning is like in year 0 and Year 1?
Thanks.

I passed BM6 and have just started this week on the BM5!

Year 0 is 3 days a week and samples units from the Bm5 years 1 2 and 3. It's much more than A level and is simply degree stuff but less off it! There are 2 main units, Human Structure and Function (biology) and Professional Practice (placement, psychology, sociology etc).

There is quite a lot about it on my blog: www.bethaney.co.uk/blog

There are 8 modules, 4 in each semester that you need to pass:

HSF coursework = average of 2 essay grades
HSF Exam = average of two exams
PP Coursework = portfolio of essays and stats pieces and a diary about placement
PP exams = 1 exam

You need 50% or above to pass.

BM5 is a lot more. 9 - 5 mon - fri, and your placements are a bit more patient oriented (as in you actually speak to patients!!!). There are a lot more topics and a lot more work but overall less coursework (from what i've heard). You also need a stethoscope (mine arrived today, so excited). I'll keep you updated as I go along haha!!

Any particular questions about BM5 though and i'll find the answer and let you know.

Hope this helps!!

Original post by tobnot

Teachers think their subjects are the most important thing in a PS but yeh, totally agree. Don't mention unless you take particularly strange A levels.

I'd leave gaps, otherwise it's horrible to read surely? But it is up to you!

Original post by Ally312

(edited 12 years ago)
I passed BM6 and have just started this week on the BM5!

Year 0 is 3 days a week and samples units from the Bm5 years 1 2 and 3. It's much more than A level and is simply degree stuff but less off it! There are 2 main units, Human Structure and Function (biology) and Professional Practice (placement, psychology, sociology etc).

There is quite a lot about it on my blog: www.bethaney.co.uk/blog

There are 8 modules, 4 in each semester that you need to pass:

HSF coursework = average of 2 essay grades
HSF Exam = average of two exams
PP Coursework = portfolio of essays and stats pieces and a diary about placement
PP exams = 1 exam

You need 50% or above to pass.

BM5 is a lot more. 9 - 5 mon - fri, and your placements are a bit more patient oriented (as in you actually speak to patients!!!). There are a lot more topics and a lot more work but overall less coursework (from what i've heard). You also need a stethoscope (mine arrived today, so excited). I'll keep you updated as I go along haha!!

Any particular questions about BM5 though and i'll find the answer and let you know.

Hope this helps!!

Teachers think their subjects are the most important thing in a PS but yeh, totally agree. Don't mention unless you take particularly strange A levels.

I'd leave gaps, otherwise it's horrible to read surely? But it is up to you!

Wow seems so cool. I cant wait until I can finally have a stethoscope! I am so hoping that I get into Southampton Med school BM6!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending