The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4120
Original post by LtCommanderData
If someone is posting something to us at college, is the address just going to be:
[Name]
Exeter College
Oxford
OX1 3DP

?

Yep.
Reply 4121
Finally went shopping for stuff at uni. Besides the obligatory bed stuff and doorstop, I now (finally) own some proper martini glasses. :cool:
Original post by Bax-man
Yep.

Original post by Incarnadine91
Yup, you'll have a pidgeon hole (your 'pidge') at the Porter's Lodge (the 'podge'). So yes, sentences such as "I'm going to check my pidge at the podge" are perfectly valid :biggrin:

Original post by deFossard
Yeah, I think we pick up our post at the Porter's Lodge.

Thanks!

Unrelated: I just accidentally smashed my head very hard against a wall whilst trying to open a door. I hope I didn't squash all the clever out of the brain right before I start my degree!
Original post by dbmag9
Finally went shopping for stuff at uni. Besides the obligatory bed stuff and doorstop, I now (finally) own some proper martini glasses. :cool:

Haha, nice :biggrin:

I seem to have acquired 3 bow ties some how :confused:
Reply 4124
Original post by soutioirsim
Haha, nice :biggrin:

I seem to have acquired 3 bow ties some how :confused:

I have two or so pretied black, a self-tie black, pretied red and self-tie white. :p: Only bringing the white and black to Oxford though. :p:
Original post by dbmag9

I have two uber pretentious glass goblets :cool:

I intend to drink THE cheapest alcohol possible from them :biggrin:
Reply 4126
Original post by la-dauphine
Hey, really sorry about this but I'm a Year 13 prospective Oxford applicant looking for some advice on my personal statement. Are there any English Language & Literature students here that I could message? Thanks :smile:

Me :smile:
Original post by la-dauphine
Hey, really sorry about this but I'm a Year 13 prospective Oxford applicant looking for some advice on my personal statement. Are there any English Language & Literature students here that I could message? Thanks :smile:

And me too!! Happy to help.:smile:
Reply 4128
Original post by flywithemma
I have two uber pretentious glass goblets :cool:

I intend to drink THE cheapest alcohol possible from them :biggrin:

Everything's better with a nice glass.

On an actually practical note, what was the consensus on how much people were bringing (besides 'oh my goodness so much')? I've just almost filled two suitcases, but bringing a third just for a dinner suit, glasses and lots of alcohol feels like a bit much.

EDIT: Behold my alcohol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4129
Original post by deFossard
Yeah, I think we pick up our post at the Porter's Lodge.

That depends on the college Magdalen has a separate post room.
Original post by dbmag9
Everything's better with a nice glass.

On an actually practical note, what was the consensus on how much people were bringing (besides 'oh my goodness so much')? I've just almost filled two suitcases, but bringing a third just for a dinner suit, glasses and lots of alcohol feels like a bit much.

I'm up to four suitcases (one of which is a BEAST), a large carrier bag and a rucksack already xD
Reply 4131
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm up to four suitcases (one of which is a BEAST), a large carrier bag and a rucksack already xD

Excellent. It feels really odd filling a suitcase with coats and scarves in this weather, but hopefully we'll get a mean November to compensate for now.
Reply 4132
A doorstop - genius!
Must buy.
Original post by thurin
A doorstop - genius!
Must buy.

Most people I know use the copy of the Examination Regulations you get given - it's big enough :rolleyes:
Original post by LtCommanderData
If someone is posting something to us at college, is the address just going to be:
[Name]
Exeter College
Oxford
OX1 3DP

?

Yes it is! I'm already at Oxford (Univ) and the letter I received just went straight into my pigeon hole.
Original post by Salliana23
Yes it is! I'm already at Oxford (Univ) and the letter I received just went straight into my pigeon hole.

On this subject, what about deliveries? For example, am I allowed to have a parcel delivered to college?
Original post by SamF1992
On this subject, what about deliveries? For example, am I allowed to have a parcel delivered to college?

'course you are :smile: happens all the time - amazon deliveries, birthday pressies, knobbly jiffy bags from parents stuffed with forgotten odds and ends ...
Reply 4137
Original post by dbmag9

um... I'm not quite finished yet, but it's looking like it will be 3 suitcases, 4 ikea bags, 5 (smallish) boxes, 2 rucksacks and a couple of portfolios. Oh, and a bike. And a clothes horse. And a rug.
I'm taking a printer (what is this 'sharing' you speak of?) and it's an absolute beast.

I'll need to recruit the whole JCR to move it. :|
Original post by -mai-
um... I'm not quite finished yet, but it's looking like it will be 3 suitcases, 4 ikea bags, 5 (smallish) boxes, 2 rucksacks and a couple of portfolios. Oh, and a bike. And a clothes horse. And a rug.

Original post by dbmag9

Woah, ok those are two very different amounts! As it stands right now I'm bringing 1 hiking rucksack (size of a small suitcase), 1 guitar, 1 printer, 1 mini-fridge, 4 bags for life (full of stuff), 3 laundry baskets (full of stuff) and 2 cardboard boxes (full of stuff). And a bike. I don't know what to leave behind! This is ridiculous!

I mean, we'll only be away fro home for two months. Last year I was away from home for three months, and I had two suitcases worth of stuff and a guitar. Arrrrrrgh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending